All parent member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

tHIS MOVIE IS SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY! KIDS LOVED IT.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

A very different remake

Although my kids liked this one better, I'm still a fan of the Gene Wilder version. (My kids 5 and 7, site the songs and the scenes of Oompa Loompa land as the cooler parts. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka (which I was told was going to be closer to the book's character) was a demented, distorted take on the "Candy Man" that those of my generation loved. I do not think that Roald Dahl meant for Willy Wonka to be a paranoid, narcisstic, weird, child hater. What was up with the burning dolls entrance? Too strange. It was my impression that Tim Burton was remaking this to be truer to the book (and the squirrel scene was great!), but in the end it was a much more surreal and disturbing version of the story for me.
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 December 10, 2009

Not better than the original.

Johnny Depp is CREEPY!!!!!!!!! Anyone agree??? This version was okay, but I saw the 1971 version first, and that will always be the REAL version to me. This was less family-friendly. In the original one, the only really scary part was the psycho boat ride, with the scenes on the walls and the dark tunnel. Now, in this version, it's so much more dark and sinister! This version actually scared me a little... and I'm 14. (Young Wonka's headgear... ugh!) Although the mean, greedy, spoiled kids get punished and stuff. That's good.
Adult Written byHeavens29 April 9, 2008

I loved it

I thought the movie was super cool and my kids loved it.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

If Rohld Dahl were alive,i'd bet he'd love this!

This is such an awesome remake! Fun to watch,great acting,based off a nice book,ect.RECOMENDED!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylola618 January 18, 2010

good for Little Kids and up

It is a fairly Great movie and really fun. It is obvious that they're trying to get you to buy a candy bar but who cares. It teaches you to follow your dreams like willy wonka. it MAY be a tad scary for sensitive young tots. Its funny and heartwarming and everything you need to make magic in a movie. A++++!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Name calling is inapproaite!!

In this day and age, with as many eyes and ears this movie passes to get to the big screen I find it very unappriate to have such politically incorrect name calling. AS a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, I do not like movies with such name calling as RETARD. To me its no different than racial slurs or religious slander.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 19, 2013

Better than the original!

Although I am not a Johnny Depp fan, this is a wonderfully made movie based on a classic! With improved special effects, good acting, lovely music, and above all, yummy-looking candy, there's no doubt that kids will find this movie better than the original!
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Terrific

This is a great remake and stays very close to the book. After watching this terrific film, kids will want to read the book. Johnny Depp is a pretty disturbing Willy Wonka.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bybettydog May 13, 2009
Watch this with your kids. If they are old enough to read the book, they are old enough to watch the movie. My daughter is a huge Roald Dahl fan and thought the movie was entertaining.
Adult Written bylindsey12345 April 4, 2009

what a surprise

theres one use of h-l what a surprise
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

Like a giant playground--lots of fun

This movie is almost a perfect replica of Roald Dahl's original book. People call this one dark in relation to the original, but frankly I think it's the other way around. Gene Wilder hurtling through a scary tunnel of crawling bugs...just not my thing. There was some stuff added that wasn't in the original book, but it matches the flavor and tone of the book. This movie is colorful, hilarious, and you come out of it wanting to dance. Very uplifting. Many people may be disturbed by the way the children are treated (I was), but it's true to Dahl's style--the nasty children/people are always punished, the good ones always rewarded. (Check out Matilda, The BFG, and many others.) I appreciate that the story values the right things, like unselfishness and kindness and family. The theme of family life was particularly fantastic in this world of quickly degrading family life. The way that Wonka learns that family is what matters most will be especially meaningful and useful for teaching smaller children. Overall definitely worth seeing at least once for kids and adults--weird but lovely.
Adult Written byjillhipps April 9, 2008

Where are my green haired oompa-loompas?

While I thoroughly enjoyed the new version, I missed the nostalgia, the flaws and the dull colors of the old version. Worth seeing but should be followed by a screening of the original.
Adult Written byjoeysmom April 9, 2008

A Great Remake

We took our two kids to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" last night. My husband was dead set against it since "Willy Wonka" was one of his favorite movies as a child, and a remake could only be sacreligious. He decided to go at the last minute, and I can honestly tell you, he was very happy that he did. The movie had a lot of very funny moments in it, not just for the kids, but for adults as well. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and comparing notes against the original later. The oompa-loompas were hysterical. Johnny Depp was amazing. The boy who played Charlie Bucket was terrific. The squirrels were extremely funny. Tim Burton did a wonderful job bringing this story to life. When they say "eye candy", they're not kidding...
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

bad family movie, often dull.

not only is this movie often dull and never lives up to the original, but also: johnny depp is awesome but in this roll he is really annoying and unlikeable) the man character charlie is too nice and not like what a kid is, (i thought the first one was great at showing that point) and overall every character was unlikable. there are a few scenes that may scare little kids like the fate of all the child characters (except charlie) but showing how unlikeable they are, you probably won't care, and to top it all off there are a few mentions of the 'H' word.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

awesome

Parent Written byJLFM May 13, 2012

There's nothing objective here, but it's a little dark, and a little twisted, but I loved it anyway

Parent of a 14 year old Written byConservativeMommy December 23, 2009
This was a clever rendition of an old classic. My only problem with it was the mother of Violet is portrayed sexually by the showing of too much cleavage. She is clearly dressed to show off her bust and the camera takes full advantage of this at times. Otherwise the movie was fine for me. Just be aware of this.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 7 year old Written byMistyLomas November 10, 2009

Fun for all ages!

My kids watch this and love it! It is not too scary, but interesting enough to hold their attention. There may be some concerns about the dynamics between parents and their kids, but it is not something that you can't explain to your children (even my 3 year old understood that their behavior was unacceptable). Great for family movie night!
Adult Written byLady Marmalade October 30, 2009

A bit of a let-down in my opinion-

I have to admit, my daughter (17), son (5), and I, were all a bit disappionted by this version of the Roald Dhal story. The humour was cuttingly sarcastic at points- which of course my little on didn't like or understand, and Willy Wonka was much colder than we had expected, which none of us liked or understood the need for. I suppose it would be a wonderful experiance for anyone who hadn't read the book or watched the earlier movie adaption, but for all our anticipation we found it rather lacking the same amount of sheer joy that we had come to associate with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.