Parent reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

tHIS MOVIE IS SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY! KIDS LOVED IT.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

A very different remake

Although my kids liked this one better, I'm still a fan of the Gene Wilder version. (My kids 5 and 7, site the songs and the scenes of Oompa Loompa land as the cooler parts. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka (which I was told was going to be closer to the book's character) was a demented, distorted take on the "Candy Man" that those of my generation loved. I do not think that Roald Dahl meant for Willy Wonka to be a paranoid, narcisstic, weird, child hater. What was up with the burning dolls entrance? Too strange. It was my impression that Tim Burton was remaking this to be truer to the book (and the squirrel scene was great!), but in the end it was a much more surreal and disturbing version of the story for me.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Name calling is inapproaite!!

In this day and age, with as many eyes and ears this movie passes to get to the big screen I find it very unappriate to have such politically incorrect name calling. AS a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, I do not like movies with such name calling as RETARD. To me its no different than racial slurs or religious slander.
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 December 10, 2009

Not better than the original.

Johnny Depp is CREEPY!!!!!!!!! Anyone agree??? This version was okay, but I saw the 1971 version first, and that will always be the REAL version to me. This was less family-friendly. In the original one, the only really scary part was the psycho boat ride, with the scenes on the walls and the dark tunnel. Now, in this version, it's so much more dark and sinister! This version actually scared me a little... and I'm 14. (Young Wonka's headgear... ugh!) Although the mean, greedy, spoiled kids get punished and stuff. That's good.

Adult Written byChristc878 April 9, 2008

Better than I thought

The plot is the same as Willy Wonka. I loved this movie mainly because of Johnny Depp. I loved seeing him play a totally different character than his last movie. At first, you wonder if he's funny. Then his humor grows on you. I guess you will either love him or hate him in this movie.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylola618 January 18, 2010

good for Little Kids and up

It is a fairly Great movie and really fun. It is obvious that they're trying to get you to buy a candy bar but who cares. It teaches you to follow your dreams like willy wonka. it MAY be a tad scary for sensitive young tots. Its funny and heartwarming and everything you need to make magic in a movie. A++++!

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bybettydog May 13, 2009
Watch this with your kids. If they are old enough to read the book, they are old enough to watch the movie. My daughter is a huge Roald Dahl fan and thought the movie was entertaining.
Adult Written byHeavens29 April 9, 2008

I loved it

I thought the movie was super cool and my kids loved it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Modernized, creepifyed, and no longer a musical.

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Great film, some iffy content.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the story of Charlie Bucket (Freddie Highmore), a young boy who is chosen - along with bratty kids Augustus Gloop (Philip Wiegratz), Violet Beauregarde (AnnaSophia Robb), Veruca Salt (Julia Winter), and Mike Teavee (Jordan Fry) - to take a tour of Willy Wonka's (Johnny Depp) chocolate factory. At the factory, lots of zany adventures happen, including a girl being tossed down a garbage chute, and a boy being shrunk. Iffy content is as follows. Adults and kids are constantly mean to each other (all with the exception of Charlie and his family). One double-entendre is present ("Don't touch that squirrel's nuts!"), and profanity consists of one use of "hell". No product placement in the film itself, but Wonka candy is real, and kids may want to buy it if they see the movie. We see a brief shot of Mrs. Salt drinking alcohol. Great film, OK for kids 8+.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

If Rohld Dahl were alive,i'd bet he'd love this!

This is such an awesome remake! Fun to watch,great acting,based off a nice book,ect.RECOMENDED!
Adult Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

awesome

Adult Written bypookie April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjsheffey April 9, 2008

fun!

I loved this movie, and I loved watching my daughter while she watched it - she thought everything was fun - my daughter (who is 2 1/2) by the way - loves all sorts of movies (even scary, but that's for another time) - what she picks up on is how everyone smiles and the dancing and the colors... note to those who didn't like it - TELL US WHY!!!! I read reviews and straight negative ones with no explanation DON"T HELP!!!!! thanks!
Adult Written byshuang q August 14, 2017

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Adult Written byMeaghan Shultz April 9, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

In anticipation of the release of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" we rented "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" starring Gene Wilder to see how our 5 year old would handle it. Based on his reaction and our discussions, we decided he had the maturity to see "Charlie." We enjoyed sharing "Charlie" with our son. Viewing the behavior of the children and the parents led to a wonderful discussion about the importance of manners, learning to deal with disappointment, valuing the possessions you have and treasuring family. Johnny Depp played the role of Willy Wonka wonderfully. He came off as an eccentric and reclusive man. I loved how he used the notecards when he was not sure what to say.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Not what I expected but still great fun!

Wow, I was dead set against another remake of this one as Gene Wilder was such a great Willy Wonka but I was pleasantly surprised by Johnny Depp. It was definitely it's own version with some weird new ideas and slight variations in the script. Still delightful and fun for kids and adults alike!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Not as good as the original...

There's really nothing to worry about here for ages 8 or 9 and up. Naughty children, snobbish parents, biting squirrels, and chocolate obssessed Oompa-loopas make up this tired remake. I didn't enjoy it. Some did. It's a pretty cute film to occupy youngsters. There's not anything very bad in it, it's just not good.
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

bad family movie, often dull.

not only is this movie often dull and never lives up to the original, but also: johnny depp is awesome but in this roll he is really annoying and unlikeable) the man character charlie is too nice and not like what a kid is, (i thought the first one was great at showing that point) and overall every character was unlikable. there are a few scenes that may scare little kids like the fate of all the child characters (except charlie) but showing how unlikeable they are, you probably won't care, and to top it all off there are a few mentions of the 'H' word.

Adult Written byJEDI micah March 19, 2013

Better than the original!

Although I am not a Johnny Depp fan, this is a wonderfully made movie based on a classic! With improved special effects, good acting, lovely music, and above all, yummy-looking candy, there's no doubt that kids will find this movie better than the original!