All parent member reviews for Charlotte's Web (1973)

Parent Written bymadmuth October 22, 2011

Well done movie but deals with difficult subject matter

This is the first movie my 4-year-old son has ever seen, and I spent a long time researching it before finally choosing it for our first movie night ever. Compared to most of what's out there, this is a very innocent little film about friendship. However, my sensitive son, who has not been exposed to much in the way of media, was still scared at certain parts. **SPOILERS TO FOLLOW** It bothered him that the farmer was going to kill the pig (he didn't understand at all what a "runt" was or why it would have to be killed). The idea of Wilbur the pig eventually being slaughtered for Christmas dinner also, rightfully, upset him. He was even frightened by the scene where two crows chase a rat who barely gets away--it was too much suspense for him. I realize now, too late, that for a little guy like him this is way too difficult a subject to deal with. He gets just enough of it to be disturbed but not enough of it to understand any of the underlying explanations. I spent quite awhile during and after the movie really trying to highlight the positive messages of friendship etc. to compensate for the rather negative impressions he got. Overall, it's a lovely little movie but it is probably more suited to an older child--at least 5 and maybe 6, depending on their sensitivity to film scenes like those I described above.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

So underrated!

I just HAD to post this review. What is wrong with you guys? This is the best movie that Disney didn't do. It is NOT scary. It's just what the site says: A heartwarming tale of love and friendship. Stop complaining! Why don't you complain about a REAL bad movie. Like The Hangover? Or anything like ParaNorman or Coraline? Now THOSE movies were scary, and that's from the trailer alone! But really, even if the animation IS bad here, at least the character designs are good. Like, really? Coraline had good animation? It was 100% creepy looking! And I actually tried to watch it once, when it was on TV. Now, really? THAT's a classic and not this? This is a MASTERPIECE. 'Nuff said. But let's look a bit further shall we? Language: ZERO bad words! Yes, they don't even say stupid, or even dumb! Role Models: Even Templeton has a heart deep down. He just needs more appreciation. Fern openly expresses what's wrong with what was about to be done to Wilbur. Charlotte selflessly devotes herself to saving him as well. And at the farm, she was his first true friend! Everyone else didn't want to or was too busy. Wilbur even explains to Jeffery that it's all about what's inside that counts. Message: The message is that miracles do come true and we should never doubt that. Charlotte's memory will live on forever in the hearts of everyone. And yes, this IS an educational movie, for many reasons. #1 it's based on the book, and it's every bit as good as the book is. They didn't even change anything in the plot like most movies do. #2 One of the songs tells us what I said before about where it really counts. We're all the same deep down. #3 In another song, Wilbur uses advanced vocabulary and they even talk about how to spell terrific during a meeting in another scene. Charlotte also tells us what it means that she's languishing (slowing up, feeling her age). #4 The message that miracles do happen. #5 Fern stands up to her dad and tells him that it's absurd to kill Wilbur just because he's smaller than the other baby pigs. OVERALL: Watch this movie and STOP complaining. As Yoda would say: Good graphics alone do not a good movie make. (You need a good story, characters, and even some songs if possible). This movie has it all! To the people writing all the bad reviews, SHAME ON YOU, you must not have lives. Or hearts. Or even brains. Like I said, if you hate the good stuff like this, Bambi, or The Fox and the Hound, then go watch ParaNorman or Coraline. Or any of that junk. Watch this if you're like me and know that good animation is NOT all that's necessary to make it good. Or else Cars 2 would have been a hundred times better (it's anything but!) This deserved to be nominated for Best Picture just like Beauty and the Beast. And if it were up to me it would have WON. 5000/5
Adult Written byBothOfUs April 9, 2008

Great fun and songs!

We bought this film to add to our collection of films for our kids - and we were not disappointed. The only thing that gets to me is Wilbur's whining! Yes, Wilbur is intended for the breakfast table and Charlotte dies, but those are facts of life and are dealt with in a satisfactory way. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, my 21 month old loved it (watched it over the course of three days).
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Sad

Not my favorite. It seems it was Pretty much to pull on your heart strings. Small viewers will find this very sad.
Parent of a 1, 3, and 4 year old Written byMichael Hussey H. February 12, 2017

This movie is NOT a "Heartwarming tale of love and friendship."

First of all, parents need to know that this is an incredibly powerful movie that centers around life and death and will fascinate and potentially upset your precocious little ones. Death is not something we've spoken about very much to our young children, particularly with respect to the death of loved ones. While watching this movie you will come to love Charlotte as much as Wilbur does, and her death will affect you and child alike. "The next time when we watch the movie, will Charlotte come back alive?" she asked at the end of the movie, trying to come to terms with what she'd just seen. Soon after, she broke down into tears and sobs the likes of which we've never seen; abject sadness. Though I was proud of her for grieving, I felt terrible that I hadn't properly prepared her for what she was going to see. Based on these reviews, I wasn't aware of how heart-wrenching a move this was.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytintinruaza July 23, 2015

Good one.

My kid watched this movie when she was in Grade 3. She said she sacrificed her club to watch it with her classmates. She learned the life cycle of a spider after watching the film.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

An adaptation of a popular children's book!

Should be rated PG for mild/disturbing thematic elements.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 19, 2013

sad but sweet

Watching this movie is an enjoyable experience in and of itself. For those who've read the book, watching the movie is a fine recreation of their reading experiences. It's sad to see that the other animals don't want to be Wilbur's friend at first, but a joy (with joyful cries) to see the other animals come around and be Wilbur's friend once Charlotte comes into the picture. Very sentimental. A must-watch.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Boring.

I watched this movie once and got bored.I was like "Hey.Uhhh.Exuse Me.Who would like this boring movie?!"Btw,the live action version was far much nicer.