Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 13 parent reviews

Sort by:

Enjoyable and classic

My 3 year old loves this movie. It did spark some discussions about death, loneliness, and friendship…but I didn’t mind explaining things in an age-appropriate way. It has great songs and kiddos will enjoy it if they love animals.

1 person found this helpful.

This movie is NOT a "Heartwarming tale of love and friendship."

First of all, parents need to know that this is an incredibly powerful movie that centers around life and death and will fascinate and potentially upset your precocious little ones. Death is not something we've spoken about very much to our young children, particularly with respect to the death of loved ones. While watching this movie you will come to love Charlotte as much as Wilbur does, and her death will affect you and child alike. "The next time when we watch the movie, will Charlotte come back alive?" she asked at the end of the movie, trying to come to terms with what she'd just seen. Soon after, she broke down into tears and sobs the likes of which we've never seen; abject sadness. Though I was proud of her for grieving, I felt terrible that I hadn't properly prepared her for what she was going to see. Based on these reviews, I wasn't aware of how heart-wrenching a move this was.

So underrated!

I just HAD to post this review. What is wrong with you guys? This is the best movie that Disney didn't do. It is NOT scary. It's just what the site says: A heartwarming tale of love and friendship. Stop complaining! Why don't you complain about a REAL bad movie. Like The Hangover? Or anything like ParaNorman or Coraline? Now THOSE movies were scary, and that's from the trailer alone! But really, even if the animation IS bad here, at least the character designs are good. Like, really? Coraline had good animation? It was 100% creepy looking! And I actually tried to watch it once, when it was on TV. Now, really? THAT's a classic and not this? This is a MASTERPIECE. 'Nuff said. But let's look a bit further shall we? Language: ZERO bad words! Yes, they don't even say stupid, or even dumb! Role Models: Even Templeton has a heart deep down. He just needs more appreciation. Fern openly expresses what's wrong with what was about to be done to Wilbur. Charlotte selflessly devotes herself to saving him as well. And at the farm, she was his first true friend! Everyone else didn't want to or was too busy. Wilbur even explains to Jeffery that it's all about what's inside that counts. Message: The message is that miracles do come true and we should never doubt that. Charlotte's memory will live on forever in the hearts of everyone. And yes, this IS an educational movie, for many reasons. #1 it's based on the book, and it's every bit as good as the book is. They didn't even change anything in the plot like most movies do. #2 One of the songs tells us what I said before about where it really counts. We're all the same deep down. #3 In another song, Wilbur uses advanced vocabulary and they even talk about how to spell terrific during a meeting in another scene. Charlotte also tells us what it means that she's languishing (slowing up, feeling her age). #4 The message that miracles do happen. #5 Fern stands up to her dad and tells him that it's absurd to kill Wilbur just because he's smaller than the other baby pigs. OVERALL: Watch this movie and STOP complaining. As Yoda would say: Good graphics alone do not a good movie make. (You need a good story, characters, and even some songs if possible). This movie has it all! To the people writing all the bad reviews, SHAME ON YOU, you must not have lives. Or hearts. Or even brains. Like I said, if you hate the good stuff like this, Bambi, or The Fox and the Hound, then go watch ParaNorman or Coraline. Or any of that junk. Watch this if you're like me and know that good animation is NOT all that's necessary to make it good. Or else Cars 2 would have been a hundred times better (it's anything but!) This deserved to be nominated for Best Picture just like Beauty and the Beast. And if it were up to me it would have WON. 5000/5

A classic about friendship

My 2 and 4 year old fell in love instantly with Charlotte's Web and listen to the soundtrack every night before bed. Lessons in friendship, kindness, and the cycle of life have taught them a lot.

I really HATE spiders but Charlotte is cute looking.

Ok I have an intense fear of spiders and find even cartoon ones to be disgusting a lot of the time. Charlotte is the only cartoon spider that I actually found to be not only pleasant but really cute and almost cuddly (can't cuddle because she would get squashed lol). I actually cried when she died and I still cry. This is coming from a person who loves to squish spiders out of fear and here I am crying because she dies at the end. To put it this way I watch many cartoons that have spiders or spider-like characters (like Ariados from the Pokemon movies and TV shows) and NONE of them are as non threatening as Charlotte (even Spiderman.) So if you have a phone of anything creepy crawly this might not bother you because it's done so lovely you actually forget that she's a spider. Good characters and good development. Even the rat Templeton is charming as he sings about food at the fair.

One of my Favorites!

No swearing, no sexy stuff (except for Fern's crush on a boy), and the violence is cartoony. I think the Charlotte in this cartoon is the most beautiful rendition of her I've ever seen. (BTW, the "Official Trailer" image in the CSM review is from an anime, but the Charlotte's Web trailer plays when clicked. Just a heads-up for those who thought the trailers were mixed up.)

Good one.

My kid watched this movie when she was in Grade 3. She said she sacrificed her club to watch it with her classmates. She learned the life cycle of a spider after watching the film.

An adaptation of a popular children's book!

Should be rated PG for mild/disturbing thematic elements.