All parent member reviews for Charlotte's Web (1973)

Parent Written bymadmuth October 22, 2011

Well done movie but deals with difficult subject matter

This is the first movie my 4-year-old son has ever seen, and I spent a long time researching it before finally choosing it for our first movie night ever. Compared to most of what's out there, this is a very innocent little film about friendship. However, my sensitive son, who has not been exposed to much in the way of media, was still scared at certain parts. **SPOILERS TO FOLLOW** It bothered him that the farmer was going to kill the pig (he didn't understand at all what a "runt" was or why it would have to be killed). The idea of Wilbur the pig eventually being slaughtered for Christmas dinner also, rightfully, upset him. He was even frightened by the scene where two crows chase a rat who barely gets away--it was too much suspense for him. I realize now, too late, that for a little guy like him this is way too difficult a subject to deal with. He gets just enough of it to be disturbed but not enough of it to understand any of the underlying explanations. I spent quite awhile during and after the movie really trying to highlight the positive messages of friendship etc. to compensate for the rather negative impressions he got. Overall, it's a lovely little movie but it is probably more suited to an older child--at least 5 and maybe 6, depending on their sensitivity to film scenes like those I described above.
Adult Written byBothOfUs April 9, 2008

Great fun and songs!

We bought this film to add to our collection of films for our kids - and we were not disappointed. The only thing that gets to me is Wilbur's whining! Yes, Wilbur is intended for the breakfast table and Charlotte dies, but those are facts of life and are dealt with in a satisfactory way. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, my 21 month old loved it (watched it over the course of three days).
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Boring.

I watched this movie once and got bored.I was like "Hey.Uhhh.Exuse Me.Who would like this boring movie?!"Btw,the live action version was far much nicer.
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Sad

Not my favorite. It seems it was Pretty much to pull on your heart strings. Small viewers will find this very sad.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 19, 2013

sad but sweet

Watching this movie is an enjoyable experience in and of itself. For those who've read the book, watching the movie is a fine recreation of their reading experiences. It's sad to see that the other animals don't want to be Wilbur's friend at first, but a joy (with joyful cries) to see the other animals come around and be Wilbur's friend once Charlotte comes into the picture. Very sentimental. A must-watch.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

An adaptation of a popular children's book!

Should be rated PG for mild/disturbing thematic elements.