Parent reviews for Chicken Run

Chicken Run Poster Image

R for 'Restricted'

I hate the movie SO much that there is TONS of intense violence. A man and woman are thrown out of a vehicle. Babs struggles with Ginger for an envelope. As they struggle, Ginger shoves herself and Babs grabs on a machine, the machine then crushes her wings and blood can be spurting out everywhere. Shown extremely quickly. Bodies are shown hanging for all the contenders to see. Organs are removed from some dead hens. Shots showing eyeballs, a heart and other organs are clearly visible, though only for a few seconds. Every scene contains bloody shooting, sometimes at a point blank range. Frequent fighting, sometimes with weapons such as small knives or metal bars. The characters cannot clean themselves up after these fights or games, so any blood on their faces or clothing remains there. A hen is stabbed to death on a bridge, blood is seen and the scene goes on for quite some time. The hen's killer then jumps off of the bridge into the water below. A character's leg is bitten and has a chunk of flesh torn off. The bloody flesh is then spat back out. A rooster is impaled through the back with a knife. He pulls it out, causing him to scream and bleed. There is very intense violence, gore and bloodshed throughout the series. Chickens are shot in the head, stabbed and killed. You can see blood on the ground spilling, dead bodies etc. Most of the violence in this film is just hens being shot with some blood shown. A hen gets shot and then blood is on the other hen's face This show can be frightening and intense for some viewers. It shows hens being killed as well as screaming/pleading for their lives. Many hens are brutally shot. Killings in some scenes are done by a point blank execution, can get a bit bloody and disturbing. Rocky gets his wing crushed in an open piece of machinery. He screams in pain and blood is seen coming out of his wing-stump. Very graphic but only shown for a second. In a scene, a fight breaks out, blood and severe flashing lights. Many chickens die bloody and gruesome deaths. Very disturbing. Characters are chased and murdered by killers after creepy phone calls in a very scary way. Several jumpscares are shown. Lots of graphic sequences of violence that include characters getting stabbed for about 25 times in a row in the torso during a single sequence, knives are seen going through faces and hands in a very gory way, and throats are slit. A girl has her stomach slashed with a knife leaving a bloody gash. She is then stabbed once in her gut before having her leg stomped on (we hear a loud crunch) she is then stabbed directly through the hand and then 2'more times. It's brutal and hard to watch. The killer sneaks up on a man and quickly stabs him in his throat. Blood pours everywhere and the man crawls away with blood leaking out of his neck and squirting all over his face. He dies with blood all over his face. A woman is bloodily stabbed numerous times in the chest and stomach, with blood spurting all over her. Blood spurts from her wounds and mouth, leaving blood all over her face. A boy is bloodily stabbed through the side of his neck all the way through. There is a graphic and prolonged close up of the knife going through the front of his neck, and then slowly piercing the skin and protruding out on the other side of his neck. Graphically depicted along with blood pouring out of his mouth and neck. A man is found with his neck slit. Blood is pumping from his neck and there is blood everywhere. He gurgles blood and chokes as he dies in a pool of his own blood. A man is stabbed in the chest with a knife. He is then stabbed in the back. Blood sprays from his chest and mouth onto the ground. The killer than rips the knives upward, sawing through his back and chest. Brutal sound effects accompany this scene. Blood spills all over the floor. He is then kicked over on to the ground and dies in a pool of blood. Blood is then shown in close up all over his mouth, cheeks, and face. Very graphic and brutal, as well as quite emotional. A girl attempts to escape a killer in a wheelchair. Her injured hand presses down on her right side wheel causing the wound of her hand to open up, blood rolls around her wheel and saturated her hand bandaging. A boy is stabbed directly into the artery of his right leg, we see him hobble away before a close up of blood pouring down his leg is shown, he runs but is caught up with a stabbed 3 times in the side repeatedly, we see him laying down and gurgling his own blood. A girl is stabbed in the shoulder offscreen with a knife. She is discovered with the wound bleeding fending off the bloody knife being directed at her face which is now smeared in her blood. She eventually passes out due to blood loss. Bunty is graphically shot through the head with a huge amount of blood spraying the wall behind her, she instantly drops dead after this. Very sudden and bloody. A hen has its head slashed with a knife. A bloody gash is seen. I DO NOT RECOMMEND KIDS UNDER 18 TO WIEW THE FILM!!!

GREAT!

I recommend this for kids 9+ because there is one scene in the movie where Rocky (the orange rooster) pulls a feather out of his middle and puts it in his drink and says "cocktail". I know that cocktails are actually a thing but i think it was an adult message but otherwise the movie is great! P.S if you like this movie you should watch barnyard.

Beware

I am 22 right now and finally deciding to watch this movie after remembering little things about it from when I was a kid. Whenever I remembered the movie I could only remember little bits and the creepy animation style, but I’ve always had a negative feeling towards it. Now that I’m watching it back so many parts of the movie are disturbing (i.e ginger being placed in solitary confinement, the chicken being decapitated, and of course, the chicken pie apparatus). I think that certain kids could really enjoy it, but I’d definitely watch it yourself beforehand and judge whether or not you think it’s appropriate for your particular child.

chicken run is not for little kids

i think chicken run is a amazing movie but its not for little kids because a character in the movie gets her head chopped off off-screen a rooster named rocky drinks out of a martini glass and acts drunk a character knits a noose two of the main characters are in peril when they fall into a pie machine and mrs tweedy tries to kill the chickens by chopping off their heads with a axe with that being said chicken run just like Aardmans other stuff before shaun the sheep was not made for kids but was just family freindly slapstick comedy and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 13

An excellent holocaust movie

An alternatively funny and grim movie, Chicken Run is well worth watching for both adults and kids. While many of the overt Holocaust references will go over the heads of kids, adults should understand and appreciate them. The movie drives home a powerful message with a well done production crew.

Cute film, but things to consider

This is a cute film with clever parts and some intriguing characters. However there are things to consider before showing a younger child. The film begins with the female chickens trying to produce enough eggs to avoid "getting the ax." This happens to one of the chickens at the start of the film. As the film progresses the characters try to escape the farm as they are trying to avoid being killed and turned into chicken pie. My son watched the film and later had fear at night thinking about the chickens running for the lives the entire film. He isn't an overly sensitive child but is perceptive and it bothered him quite a bit.

Great movie, but some inappropriate humor and confusing themes

Parents should understand that this is a great movie with all the claymation, and action making it probably Aardman's best movie. It is really funny, but there are a couple of swears, the main rooster pulls out a tail feather and calls it a "cocktail", implying that the feathers come from his butt, with the first 4 letters being a swear. When they are learning to fly, one of the mice says "flippin' hell" which would be considered a swear. And the hard theme to understand is that one of the chickens gets killed with an ax which may be confusing to some young kids that she got killed. There is also a good message that you should really use teamwork, when the main rooster doesn't understand that, and says "Everybody listen to me", and is very full of himself as a professional. But otherwise the only other scary part is the machine that turns chickens into pies, there are some blades and weapons that might scare younger kids. I'm not sure what else to say, I think its fine for kids ages 5 and up.

Funny, but scary and over little kids' heads

I had heard good things about this movie, so I showed it to my 4 and 6 year old. There were some really scary scenes for the little ones. The movie is set on a chicken farm (laying eggs) and the farmer gets a chicken pot pie making machine to increase profits. The chickens are in fear of their lives, and at the end, the farmer lady is chasing them with a butcher knife, and the 2 main chickens go through a pot pie machine trying to chop them up. Way too scary for my kids.

Nightmares for my 6-year old

While this is an adorable movie for anyone old enough not to worry about the situation these chickens are in, my 6-year old saw this at school and was very scared by the film. She had several difficult nights, waking up with nightmares, crying, etc. I am not happy that her school chose to show this film to such young children. I think the G rating is surprising, and would recommend it for slightly older children, age 8 or 9.