All parent member reviews for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byjcmccain November 7, 2009

6 yo still scared

My 4 and 6 year olds were scared by the kid catcher and broke down in tears. We couldn't finish the movie! My kids are sensitive and don't watch much TV, but I thought they'd have been ok with this.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymom of 2 boys August 25, 2009

The "Child Catcher" is WAY to scary for 3-5 year olds

I vaguely remembered this from my childhood and rented it to watch with my 3 and 5 year olds. It was HORRIBLE. The first half of the movie was fine, but the second half was WAY to scary for them. Even though I fast forwarded through most of the second half, and then finally just skipped to the last chapter to see the ending, my 5 year old kept asking "why did the kid catcher guy have lollipops? why did he put the kids in the cage? What was he going to do to the kids?" I took it as an opportunity to talk about strangers, but he was crying and scared to go to sleep after the movie. There was also a lot of slapstick violence, shooting canons at people, and as I was fast forwarding, I caught some women dancing in "sexy" clothing. Absolutely horrible film. There was also some mildly boring parts such as the "what a lovely lonely man" song. Now I know why I only vaguely remember this one- my mom probably saw it once and that was it for us watching it. We are going to stick to Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music - those are the classics I really remember. And the music is much better in those movies too.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byehsing@rogers.com October 9, 2010

What's not to love?

We love it. What's not to love? It's a fun, whimsical adventure.
Parent Written bytootsweet May 31, 2013

Your Review Needs Stronger Warning About Child Catcher

You really need to emphasize the child catcher more in your review. He is a very scary, haunting character I recall vividly even today in my 40s.
Parent Written bytrack2 January 27, 2012

Chitty forever

Easily as good as Mary Poppins. In fact many kids (most likely boys) will like it better than Poppins. The Ol' Bamboo dance number in Chitty is even better than the chimney sweep number in Poppins.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymalindakennedy January 27, 2013

more violence and scary scenes than described!!!

Please give this movie a higher rating or describe the violence more thoroughly. My 6 year old just watched this and wished she had not. I agree with her. The first half of the movie is great, but once the fantasy starts and they arrive at the castle, it is way too scary. The child catcher is truly frightening for kids and the soldier and chasing scenes are also scary despite the slapstick of it all. Also, it was disturbing for my daughter to see all the children locked up in the dungeon cave and the scene where the king tries to kill his wife should be mentioned. I love this movie and my daughter loves parts of it, but I think it should be rated for a higher age.
Parent Written byViannaR November 11, 2014

Wonderful music! Dick Van Dyke, love him! (But scary scenes!)

I love this film, and have been watching scenes on Youtube. I remember being really scared by Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a young girl. I am looking forward to sharing this film with my little girl, but will wait until she's about 7 or 8 before doing so. The childcatcher is really creepy and diabolical. Don't want my child to have nightmares like I did!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTruly Scrumptious May 11, 2014

What movies were meant to be...

This is a movie filled with music and dancing, flying cars and whistling candies, the costumes and cinematography are a treat even now. I made the mistake of watching this with my son when he was younger (maybe 6) and he found the whole concept of a 'Child Catcher' really disturbing. In my opinion the child catcher theme towards the end of the movie would be the most difficult for sensitive children to deal with. But at 9 years old it was pure enjoyment (especially on for a movie matinee on a hot day).
Parent Written bykristakj February 26, 2014

Just ok

Overall its a decent family movie. It is long though and can drag at times for kids. Then there is also the scary clownish child catcher who can also freak them out.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byJimL November 9, 2009

Great film, but watch together and skip scary parts if necessary

I loved this movie and decided to share it with my daughter as her first movie, knowing we would have to skip over parts such as the child catcher. She loved it and now at 4.5 even enjoys the scary parts.
Adult Written byKatster July 1, 2009

Parent of a 1, 4, 7, 11, 16, and 24 year old Written bypopcornpop1997 March 15, 2009

CLASSIC

You'll laugh, you'll cry. Classic movie for all ages.
Adult Written bySEisenprei April 9, 2008

You'll get a "Bang Bang" out of "CHitty Chitty!:

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", the stage musical, has been packing houses in New York and London, but even if you live nowhere near Broadway or the West End and you can't wait until the national tour flies into your city, you can drive (or walk) over to your local video store and rent or buy this family classic with action as only Ian Fleming could create it and tuneful, toe-tapping music as only the Sherman Brothers can compose it. About the only disappointment is the lack of extras, other than the original theatrical trailer and the exit music, but the fine four-fendered fun more than makes up for it. Warm up the popcorn and buckle up for safety, "Chitty" is still the most fun car on the road, and you don't need to make a huge down payment!
Adult Written byRobin17 April 9, 2008

wonderful fun

Our 4 year old loves this movie! She started watching it 6 months ago. We would play it up until the intermission and then turn it off. We thought the kid catcher might be too scary. Just this week we let her see the whole thing.... She was fine and really loved the dancing and songs in the second half.