Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Cinema Paradiso

Charming Italian film about friendship has sex, profanity.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written bycineparatodos December 4, 2012

Beware of the PG rating! :-O

BEWARE OF RATINGS. This is for 13+. Netflix's version is not a director's cut, it says "PG" (=nothing to worry about, right?). But it shows a few scenes at the movie theater that were *very* uncomfortable to watch with my 11 and 12 year old daughters. As the camera pans the dark movie theater, you suddenly discover a woman making faces and movements while a man penetrates her from behind standing at the back of the theater. Later, you see a row of little boys masturbating while Birgitte Bardot appears fully naked (curves mostly, but very big on the screen); worse, an older man stops by to scold them and immediately looks at the screen and touches himself as well... A prostitute is taking clients behind a curtain and motions for the next client to go in. (After the other scenes, you won't mind this at all.) As a PG movie, I wished someone had warned me. We talk about issues very openly with our kids, but although I loved the movie (we all did), I thought it was violent to have it just pop up. I might have had younger kids watching it alone being comfortable that it was a PG movie!!! Jeeez...

Adult Written byChrissy505 October 26, 2011

Good Movie....Wouldn't show it to a 13 year old

the version I saw wasn't the directors cut and it had masturbation and exposed breasts (in a series of film a character was watching). JUST SAYIN. Really good though, we're analyzing it for my freshman english class.

Adult Written byOr April 9, 2008

for the director's cut

The director's cut contains masturbation and sex.
Adult Written bytomtriumph March 26, 2014

Innocent and Very Adult

I was surprised that the Common Sense Media description made no mention to a few points written about in the comments. This is a great film for tweens and teens and adults and, in the end, the age designation is spot on. That said, families should know that throughout the language is a bit salty, with hand gestures and such. Adults are often verbally and physically abusive, even when it comes from a place of love. If you had a problem with "A Christmas Story" you'll have a problem here. Otherwise, you'll have no problem--it's that kind of story. But it is an adult story, even if your child will love it. As noted, there are a few scenes that are more mature. At about 0:46 there is a couple having sex in the back (fully clothed, but your kids might/might not pick up on it), followed by a woman breastfeeding in the theater (if such things bother you). At 1:03 there is nudity on the screen, with kids masturbating to it (not graphic, but obvious--that's the joke), followed by a prostitute bringing men into a back room. All of this is meant to show the culture of going to the cinema for different people over their lifespan, but you might skip over (which, considering the editing Alfredo does, is a bit ironic). Just know it's there and is not critical to miss. At the end (spoiler) Toto watches a reel of "sexy" clips Alfredo had cut from the reels. Who show a woman topless. If you have a problem with topless statues and art, this is like that. Brief, but part of the theme. A great movie. Much of what is written here will give families things to talk about, especially as we are surrounded by the same issues but less artfully done.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 2, 2014

A beautiful film wrapped in nostalgia!

You can tell this is a film for film lovers. The awe and sweetness of this film is immeasurable. It tells the story of a boy and how his community in Italy united over the thing they all loved: the movies. It demonstrates the power the cinema has on us all, the unity and comradery it brings, while also being a fine example of a movie romance itself: the love the projectionist Alfredo shows Toto, the romance Toto finds in Elena, and of course the love everyone finds in sitting down, and escaping for a couple of hours in a nice, cool theater. It's a love letter cinephiles must read!

Adult Written byLisa T. August 24, 2016

Kids not bothered by sexy bits

Such a lovely movie, and the bits others are bothered by went basically unnoticed by my 9- and 11-year-old. My 9-year-old did cry at the fire.
Adult Written bymovielover OC82 February 1, 2015

Beware of the Netflix "PG" version!

As other reviewers have said, it's got to be the R rated director's cut. It has multiple scenes of couples having intercourse and a less graphic (but still very clear what's happening) of a bunch of teenage boys masturbating. This is NOT PG, and would be inappropriate watching with anyone under 17. It's a shame because it's a lovely movie, and we were enjoying it thoroughly with our 14 year old daughter. Very uncomfortable and embarrassing!

Parent Written byLynAstrid December 7, 2016

Amazing movie. If you are OK with sex (a main point of the movie, in fact) this is PG

A number of reviews comment on the amount of sex. As a young teen when I first saw this, some of the sex (boys masturbating during a movie) went completely past me. If you are open and OK with that kind of thing, then this is fine. There is very little violence and some cursing. This is one of my all time favorites. It is really about how the movie theatre is the center of all life in this small town, the young boy/young man's loves and influences. Unlike every other movie, DO NOT watch the director's cut. That is sappy and unsubtle.
Adult Written by915071 May 31, 2013