All parent member reviews for Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bycwyatt January 5, 2013

Neutral from a Cirque fan. Okay for kids. NO consumerism.

I love Cirque du Soleil. I have seen two live performances, The Journey of Man movie, and a recorded stage performance. Alegria is the stage performance that I've let my kids watch on DVD since they were 2. So I felt pretty confident taking my 3 and 6 yr old to the movie theater on this one. Some great scenes, but definitely disjointed as the professional reviewers say. I don't expect a plot, but the performances were short and scattered. 'Journey of Man' had vinnettes, but this did not. As previous reviewer have said, there are dark scenes with dark music and battles between groups. There are also some beautiful performances. Some of the darkness comes from the lighting to give the underground cave effect. Not the brillance from the forest scenes in other productions. I don't know anything about the Vegas performances, but having the Beatles music in the middle ruined it for me. Common Sense media missed the mark on the consumerism point. There is NO consumerism in this movie! Cirque du Soleil is a brand like Disney or Pixar, but there are no action figures, clothing, or coloring books to sell! Cirque du Soleil promotes individualism, imagination, strength, and skill. This is only the second movie in a theater I've taken my kids to. No regrets, just hide their eyes during the previews. The previews are more violent than the movie.
Parent Written byEZKF January 1, 2013

When it comes out on DVD I will definitely buy it.

This is a very artistic film. If you enjoy Cirque du Soleil performances you will want to clap at the end (as the audience did at the theather we went to). There are a couple of "violent" seens but they are very well choreographed fight performances. The 3D element adds a feeling of having front row seats.
Educator and Parent Written byBob516 January 1, 2013

Sinister visuals

Cirque du Soleil always seemed like a safe choice, our twin 8 year old daughters have watched DVDs of Cirque many times in the past. The imagery in this was darker than I had ever seen before in a Cirque production, as my wife said 'sinister.' Both of my daughters wanted to leave the theatre only 20 minutes into the movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCyberdave January 5, 2013

Overall a good film to see some of Cirque's spectacular acts if a little too long

We love Cirque and our daughter has watched Journey of Man on DVD since she was three and loves it. Now 5 1/2 we thought Worlds Away would be a good next step short of going to a show for which we feel she is still too young. This is a very different film than Journey of Man. It is darker in both lighting and content. It is also a bit more suspenseful and somewhat obscure in its message. After about 15 to 20 minutes it seemed due to the content we were not sure if our daughter was scared or not. We explained to her that it was a circus fantasy and it wasn't real and was she scared and did she want to leave? She did not want to leave. So we said OK. The film is a little disjointed trying to do Cirque's usual thing of tying together a personal journey through the very different acts. Many of the acts are spectacular but some are mediocre. The film could've been about 20 to 30 minutes shorter. It was also too loud. I've heard of Zumanity but have never seen it and did not know or tell at the time that there was an act from it in the film. The end is a touching romantic love story more than something basely suggestive. It was the best part of the film and the duo's acrobatic work was spectacular. It was not that much different than watching a duo act at Disney on Ice. Chances are this is not for younger kids but we felt she was ready for this. After it was over she told us she enjoyed it and that she was not scared. So it's all good!! Maybe best to get on DVD and skip through certain parts.