Parent reviews for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Sequel gives new meaning to playing with your food.

Adult Written byPinkarray April 29, 2020

Where do I even start?

There's so much wrong with this film, I can't even list everything. The only things good about this are the visuals and the cuteness but that's about it. This movie was a complete kid-appeal cash grab that screwed up the first one. Flint has gone from a smart, idealistic scientist who wants to help the world to an illogical coward who cares only about some guy that he didn't even give a heck about in the first film. Like, what kind of 18 year old would believe that bullies can't redeem themselves? Steve has gone from just an annoying, two-dimensional monkey to a cruel, thieving beast who made Flint cry at one point. All the other characters are shadows of their former selves who do barely anything and have lost the depth and charm to them and the new ones are two-dimensional and nothing special. Chester V is the predictable character the hero admires who turns out to be a villain. The story is also pretty much a rehash of the first one as well as Flint's character development.

There are so much food puns in this movie it's tiresome really fast. There were probably like 2 or 3 jokes I laughed it and the rest is cringy. I cannot imagine Flint inventing wedgie underwear.

Sorry for my angry comment but I love the first one quite a bit and was sorely disappointed in how much this has ruined it. Go watch the first one, while it's not the most groundbreaking and not Pixar tier, it has a much more creative story and more well-developed, quirky characters than this mediocrely-written garbage. Unless you have kids under the age of 11, it's not worth the viewing.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16-year-old Written byHendo H. U February 25, 2018

Adult Written byDawn S February 17, 2014

I liked it but...

Some of the innuendos spelled out by other parents - flashing shapes on the robots that look like breasts...the bs-usb drive (wherein bs stands for exactly what an adult would think) - the name calling (idiot - loser - stupid) and the near swear words. One character says 'crap balls'. Its listed here as 'crab cakes' and elsewhere on the internet as 'crab balls' but the subtitles on the dvd itself say 'crap balls'. Either way, the phrase or insinuation of the phrase is bad news for a kids' movie.

Overall I really want to like this movie - I love the characters and loved the puns. The carnivorous foodimals were pretty scary and could have been toned down for my taste.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written byFougy14 February 16, 2014

5 year olds review

It's a very nice movie. Chester V's character was a little mean.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 9, 2014

Cute and colorful sequel.

It may not be the best sequel to a great original animated movie, or a nominee for "Best Animated Film", but it is quite enjoyable. The "food-imals" in the movie are pretty colorful and abundant throughout the movie. It also has great messages to kids, about who your real friends are, and which role model is really great to imitate. All in all, kids will love the continuation of their favorite naive yet clever scientist!

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written bymoonbeem16 October 6, 2013

Not my idea of a main dish

The original is still my favorite. Some funny food jokes but not nearly as entertaining as the first
Parent of a 8-year-old Written bytrixietrout October 5, 2013

Rent it if you watch it at all.

Very contrived and uninteresting story. I didn't even understand that the evil professor was trying to steal the technology for himself til about 1/2 way through the movie, so I can't imagine the kids did either. Seems like a money grab to me. Nowhere near as good as the first one. Rent it.
Parent Written bytarmale September 29, 2013

Ok sequel, don't like the inuendos

Took my 6, 8 and 15 year old to see this today. Not as good as the first one but still entertaining. What I didn't like about it is the inuendos. Robot have flashing flowers on their chests suggesting electric breasts(?). Also, when Flint tries on a device he made it looks like underwear with all the trimmings. Went over my younger kids' heads but I don't know why they can't just make a KIDS movie anymore? Why does there always have to be sexual undertones in these movies? My 15 year old obviously got it but I find it harder and harder to take my kids anywhere these days

Parent Written bylauralibby88 September 29, 2013

Decent family fun movie

This was a really fun movie that had a central idea to stay true to yourself and the people you love. It was about not judging things from what others say, but taking time to see for yourself, and it was pretty funny. There was some violence and poor language, negative and derogatory words said too, or about characters. My son is sensitive to such themes, and it was okay for him, though a bit too scary in about 2-3 scenes. If you have sensitive children who feel this stuff is really or get upset easily or are under age 6, see it with caution. I would not take any kids under 4 to see this one in a theater. Otherwise, go and enjoy. Many jokes were more for the adults, "Butter! Parkay...." and the adults were laughing as much as the kids. I thought the first one was better all around family fun since it was less scary and younger kids could go too, but this was a good sequel.