All parent member reviews for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySnoozhe October 4, 2009

Younger than 5 can watch, but won't enjoy it as much.

I'm surprised at how much myself and my family liked this movie. It was silly, of course, but the most humorous parts continued through the movie--keeping the laughs coming. I heard people laughing out loud, which I haven't heard in a long time. It was a really fun movie.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 14, 2010

Why is this only rated two stars?

This is a very nice movie. It does contain many scenes that little kids might find frightening such as a character being "eaten" by giant cooked chicken (he survived, so no worries). Also there is mild language such as "hellhole" and "holy crap"
Parent of a 7 year old Written byJennyRob November 1, 2009

Good talking points, aside from the long, scary ending...

Despite negative reviews, my son & I enjoyed CWACOM. The ending sequence was waaay too much suspense for him, but we both enjoyed seeing geeky main characters who learned how to be themselves. Afterward, we talked about mistakes people made & why they made them, plus what people did that helped. Not a bad discussion.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bygrasley627 February 15, 2010

Allergic Reaction by one of the Main Characters is a Concern

There is a scene late in the movie where the weather girl has an allergic reaction to peanut brittle. For any child with an allergy this can be very scary if they are not prepared for it. This also is an issue with Meet the Robinsons.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byFriday September 22, 2009

Some kids may be scared or disappointed

My son loves the book, but this movie was so disappointing. His words were "what's up with the people eating chickens and the weird weather machine coming to life and trying to eat it's master?" He didn't like the violence and thought the movie would have been fun without many of the scary, over the top tense scenes.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byAppleNell December 23, 2010

Sunny With a Certainty of Laughter

I first saw this movie as a hotel room rental I bought to pacify the kids whilst I was trying to answer some email. I wandered into their room, began to watch, and promptly fell on the bed laughing so hard there were tears in my eyes. This is one of the most inventive, mind grabbing, rioutous kids movies I've ever seen. Quotes from it have become part of our familial lexicon. To ineptly rip off a line from another movie, "it had me at 'Rat Birds!'" The movie's greatest of many charms is its incredible and non-stop inventiveness that's manifested in everything from the smallest details to the rapier sharp use of cameos by Mr. T. and others. The lead characters are another strong point. Utterly unique and idiosyncratic, the mad scientist and the brainy meteorologist are whole and real enough to be discussed. This is, I must admit also true of mustache-obsessed Steve (a monkey), Cliff's hirsute, monosyllabic father, the nefarious mayor, and the run-away t.v. I am not generally a fan of the Characters-With-Giant-Eyes-And-Outsized-Heads school of animation on display in "Cloudy," but it's used so well in the film that its serviceable and not a detriment. We didn't see the movie in 3D, so can't speak to that. See it! See it! Laugh yourself silly. Then talk about the other issues the movie trenchantly addresses: greed, gluttony, identity, and monkey thought translators.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bypleeoh October 24, 2010

My kids love this movie.

Don't expect this to be like the book of the same title, which inspired it. It is full of silly fun, however, and my kids love it. Parents can watch it with kids without boredom. Its a silly fun fast-paced romp, with a positive message about being true to yourself.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bygui October 24, 2009

fun movie for the whole family whatever age you are !!!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byFireLilly November 7, 2009

Good movie, but parent/child relationship drama and action a bit much for less than 7 year olds.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old who are fairly well adjusted. We don't typically let them watch all that much TV. The Disney channel is it. The movie has a great story line. A bit of a departure from the book, but none the less a good one. I'd say some of the situations were still a bit adult or at least beyond the comprehensibility of the average 4/7 year old. Luckily most of these elements will go in one ear and out the other. Specifically, it was a bit to violent when it came to the destruction of the town and the child parent relationship drama was a bit beyond what my kids understand. Overall a great movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byS Snape November 1, 2009

ok for anyone who wants to see it

it is the scariest movie i have ever seen because it is so bad its scary. i think it is way too long. if kids are bored by movies that are really long tell them they dont want to see this stupid movie.
Parent of a 6, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byh4mommy June 3, 2010

The relationship between the main character and his dad gives families something to discuss and hopefully it will better their parent/child communication.
Parent Written byLinVA October 12, 2009

not so great for 6s and below

Really not so great. My 6-year-old liked it, but was really anxious during the final scenes where the weather gets very out-of-control. The person who gets eaten by a chicken was scary, weird, too.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byTwoTimesAMommy September 27, 2009

What a great movie! And we loved that Sam is allergic to peanuts. Our children are allergic to nuts and this was so great for them!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMama Bunda October 11, 2009

Entertainment for our family

Loved the book, this was totally different! Our kids loved it, parents thought it was cute, though exceedingly silly at times. (My kids didn't even acknowledge the name calling. ) A fun matinee for everyone.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... September 22, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is a lot of fun!

This movie was actually a big surprise, i didn't really expect much because of the big plot changes from the book, but this movie is hilarious for a kids movie, and has some good messages in it. The voice cast does a great job -Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Andy Samberg, Bruce Campbell, Mr. T, and Bobb'e J. Thompson - and the animation is good, all of the jokes work, it is just an all around solid animated movie, with quirky, slapstick humor, that is hilarious. Go see it now, you will not be disappointed, this is one of the funniest movies of the year.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written byLifeiscool5 September 28, 2009

Nothing Like The Book But My Kids It!

I Took My Kids To See It In 3D And The Movie Had Some 3D In It. Me And My Kids Loved It And Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Was Cool And Funny!
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bybkpkr October 24, 2009

My husband and I both loved it. Very creative and, besides a little potty-type humor (very little), it was clean. We both laughed out loud more than once.
Adult Written byljrhaz September 30, 2009

My nearly 5 yr old was scared by the giant falling food, although she loved the ice cream scenes. She asked to leave early. She nor I were into it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMommaT September 30, 2009

My 4 year old found it a little scary

It was ok. My 4 year old watched it from the "safety" of daddy's lap. He thought it was a little scary.
Adult Written byquicksilver369 November 1, 2009

Not a great movie.

My 7 and 9 year old boys did not like this movie. As a parent the entire movie was about gluteny. I used this movie as a teaching point for my boys.