Kid reviews for Cloverfield

Tense monster movie is loud, hectic -- and scary.

Teen, 14 years old Written byYouDecide July 10, 2015

CloverField

Well I've have seen CloverField and parents look there are 3 scenes you have to be careful about one a woman blows up because she was infected by one of CloverField parasites 2 sexual conversations in the party not too bad but just be careful one of the camera guys got eaten by clover/alien some blood language and action very very little you know kissy in it lol and I think that's all really if you're very very concerned about your children just watch it first before you let your children watch

YouDecide~

Teen, 14 years old Written bystaren July 6, 2020

Gory and s#x refrences

It is a great movie they tell the story through a home video camera but it is like a horror film and has a lot of gore specifically in one scene where they go into a hospital and one of the characters blow up but you only get to see the shadow and at the party in the begging of the film it says a guy had "stuff" with a girl. beside that it is a good film and my friend recommended it to me. One last thing it also says a lot of swears.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAverage Teen Wh... June 12, 2020

Review Missed a little

The review didn't say anything about a girl being impaled by re-bar. I feel like younger viewers should know that. Not too violent. Also graphic creature bite on girl's back.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDocter Dee April 4, 2020

Good.

This is a realistic monster movie Defo should be r-rated but alright.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFilms123 August 23, 2019

Pretty decent found-footage flick

Cloverfield is okay. It’s got some well-executed scare scenes. It’s entertaining. Unfortunately, the film does fall prey to a couple of found-footage cliches (why are they still filming) and never rises above the standard of okay. I was tempted to give it a 4 but that would be too generous. Some nauseating camerawork doesn’t do the film any favours. A good, low-budget monster movie, nothing more, nothing less.
Teen, 13 years old Written by3yeet July 11, 2019

Disturbing found-footage monster flick is actually better than you'd think

Cloverfield, directed by Matt Reeves is seemingly one of the first films to combine a big monster with a found footage camera style, a combination that works so well that I'm surprised that it's not been used before. The film starts out with a party attended by the main characters, but soon devolves into chaos when a monster sinks some vessels by the sea and then, more notably throws the head of the Statue of Liberty into the middle of New York's crowded streets. Awe-inspiring chaos ensues as our cast flees the rampage. As for the quality, the movie is actually very successfully dark and disturbing, and the acting performances, like they are in most found footage films, are very realistic. It's also extremely horrifying -but-amazing to see the gigantic monster (who is actually just a baby) Cloverfield rip and tear through New York's most famous landmarks. It's held back to a mild degree by a redonkulous character decision and it's plot simplicity, but it leaves you feeling chilled by it's decidedly unfortunate ending. Who can see it? Well, I'm personally not a fan of CSM's fairly reactionary age ratings, but this one is on point. I think any teen and probably most mature tweens should be able to handle this movie. Keep in mind though, that it's very intense and includes a fair amount of grisly violence, the worst offender being Lizzy Caplan's character that (Spoilers) is bitten by the monster's body parasites and explodes behind a tent. There's some language as well but I'm sure all tweens could handle that. Last thing to be careful about is that it's a downer; it's, as I've said again and again, very dark and it has virtually no happy moments - just breaks in the action. Regardless, I'd recommend you see it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykaliweb July 23, 2018

Waste of Time

Why did it have to be shot Blair Witch style?! It just ruined it, so shaky. Most of the movie is TJ Miller running around screaming “ROB”. This movie was a waste of my time. There were some positive messages and good role models but go find those in a worthwhile movie. If you are going to watch this then, there are a several mentions of sex, a woman’s bare back is seen and a man in his underwear, there is some drinking and smoking, language is present, and there is some gore, 10+. In my opinion it’s just not worth watching.

Teen, 16 years old Written bygudvardarson May 8, 2018
Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2018

Not good for kids.

Little too much explicit content.

Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2018

Bad ending. ⚠️spoiler

This movie has a good flow, is a really great disaster movie, however the ending is really disappointing, but I won't say anything about it due to spoilers (I don't go that far).

This movie is good for pre teen age, if they can take and handle traumatic scenes, the scene where (I forgot her name) dies due to being executed because of a spider bite really started to get my heartrate up, its done behind a clear curtain so you can only see blood spaltter.

Words like s--t are repeated but It does not go further than that.

However the group tries to work together to figure out how to survive the beast.

You can also see the city being torn to shreads.

Kid, 10 years old February 9, 2018

Great film but a little inappropriate at the first scene.

Great film good action but a little inappropriate at the start. But If you get motion sickness don't watch this film because you'll probably vomit.

Teen, 17 years old Written byLori R. June 20, 2017
Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 October 6, 2016

No 10 Cloverfield lane was so much better.

It was dumb, hectic, and for those who care whether it was scary it wasn't. Not at all. 10 Cloverfield did a better job of that and that didn't even have aliens til the end. So no, just no.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCarolina Chuck June 24, 2016

Intense, Scary, Loud, and Realistic -- a solid "found footage" movie

Cloverfield is a 2008 "found footage" horror/action film that follows 5 friends who flee a going-away party to rescue a friend whilst a 200 ft-tall monster unleashes hell on New York City.
The heroes may idiots, but they do show determination in rescuing Beth.
People get blown up, squashed, attacked, eaten, and bitten. Marlena's nasty wound is shown and later her nose/eyes run blood and she explodes in blood behind a tarp. A cut open stomach, organs/matter. People get bruises/cuts, etc. A nuke is implied to be dropped at the end of the film. 14+
There's "ass", "damn", and "hell", but there's also multiple uses of "sh*t", especially after the half-way mark. I think there's one "f*ck". 13+
Beth's bare back is shown. Rob is in his boxer shorts. Hud tells people that two characters slept together. 12+
The monster scary and is shown destroying buildings. The department store scene is gory. The tunnel scene is scary. The ending scene with Hud and the Clover Monster is scary. The end is sad. No characters make it out alive except Lilly. Watching New York landmarks get destroyed is sad. A nuke is dropped on the city to kill the Clover Monster.
Motion sickness/epilepsy warning.
After the 20-minute-mark, the whole film is very intense.
I'd give it 7.5/10 stars. Very good for a "found footage" film.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMarcelo14 June 10, 2016

Ok but I strongly recommend watching 10 Cloverfield Lane

This movie was definitely full of thrills and suspense, but it was just hard to bond with the characters due to the constant shakey camera work. It does have scary moments, but the camera work was a little bit too distracting. I think it should've been part found footage, and part regular camera work.

Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2016

At approximately 0900 hours I saw the destruction of Manhattan.

When I sat on the couch for 'Cloverfield,' I knew 3 things: it was found-footage, there was some sort of monster and the Statue of Liberty's head. Other than that I knew nothing. The movie began on a funny tone, with Hud, played by T.J Miller, messing around with the camera that would be used for the movie at his friend's going away party. But things go awry when a monster the size of a building descends on there city to let you know that this is personal. And that monster is PISSED. I'm not spoiling a single thing for you here. I simply can't. If you haven't seen it (YOU SHOULD) I'm not giving you spoilers. I have nothing but praise for this. It's unique and disturbing. The last movie I wrote about was 'The Good Dinosaur,' in a review titled "GARBAGE X 1000!" under the name "Freddle," and as you can tell by the title, I went after that movie and pounded it hard! That one does have spoilers, so be warned if you do like it. You shouldn't. That's so you can check out the single review written under my old account. But now I'm focusing on all positives. Cloverfield and J.J Abrams deserve it. Thanks! ~Ryan

Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2016

Good film

This film is great, but in it there is a lot of swearing, blood, gore and sexual references. The film is like the blair with project as it is filmed through a video camera and like the blair witch project it can be scary at parts. The film in my honest opinion is suitable for children 12 and up although I saw it when I was 10. There is a few scenes such as the giant spider-like creatures biting into a woman's neck or the scene where an impaled woman is scene having a long pole removed from her chest which parents should be cautioned about. I think if your child has a taste for horror movies and a strong stomach then it should be fine to let him/her watch it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBanzaiwashout March 15, 2016

Definitely the best found footage film.

I watched this film 20 times in one summer, maybe more. This film is tense, action packed, hectic and very good. Warning: you might get motion sickness, a lot. 5/5
Teen, 16 years old Written byangryspock28 March 13, 2016

Intense, Gory, and Great Monster Film

This film is a thriller/horror and while it may not be as scary as other horror films, it's definitely intense and gory at times. Throughout the film there is constant tension. The first 15 minutes of the film is not scary at all, but it does depict drinking, and the drinkers are all of legal age. The biggest mature factor in this film is language. I was a bit surprised at the constant use of s**t used throughout. Though it is realistic to today's society, it can be vulgar. There is little violence, however the film holds an ever present tension that breaks at times with loud, intense scenes depicting military firing at the monster. One scene lingers on a dead body who has his chest blown out. It is not too bloody, but it is definitely gory. Another scene shows a person's head blowing up, splattering a lot of blood on the curtain behind the person.

Kid, 11 years old January 30, 2016

Disturbing found footage sci-fi horror movie too scary for little kids, but great for teens

Parents should know before allowing their children to watch Cloverfield that, despite it's PG-13 rating, it is still a very scary movie. Expect lots of blood, sporadic instances of surprisingly disturbing imagery, and strong suspense and peril throughout. Despite the violence and scariness, this is an overall great movie. While the plot remains unsolved and character development is slightly limited, it's extremely well made from an aesthetic point of view. On top of the brief instances of violence and disturbing content, there's also an abundance of swearing--including multiple uses of "s--t" and other terms. Overall, it's pretty intense and scary, and multiple main characters die gruesome deaths. TheProBros thinks that Cloverfield is a great choice for teens thirteen and up.