Adult reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written bySheryl S. November 24, 2017

Amazing movie for all ages

We took our bilingual 3 year old grandson. We were afraid he would be afraid of the elaborate costumes in the Land if the Dead, but he was not afraid. He loved the movie. We all cried at the tender ending.

Parent Written byAnanth R. December 13, 2017

Dissapointing

First off, I never ever take the time to write a review so this one really mattered. Lets get the good stuff out of the way as there wasnt much - exquisitely animated, gorgeous cinematography.
As for the negative, I was appalled that a murder plot was included in a kids movie!! Seriously, do kids need to learn about how to murder their competitors? And it was not like the scene was one and done, it kept recurring in the movie with references. It was truly cringe worthy and none of the fantastic visuals could make up for it....It seems like the team at Pixar does not really know what is appropriate for kids.... So much potential but alas!

Parent of a 6 and 8-year-old Written byNaomi R. November 27, 2017

Scary for Sensitive Kids

My 8 year old daughter was sobbing when the movie ended and kept saying how scary it was. If your kid usually gets undertones in film or books beyond her age level or is a deep feeling little person, you may want to either check it out first on your own or avoid this one for a few years until they are older. I wish I hadn't believed the reviews and tested it out for myself.

Adult Written byPilar T. January 27, 2018

Not for little ones. 8++

A wonderful film. Great concepts and characters. BUT my son who is 6.5 was scared of the skeletons and that the boy might turn into a skeleton. He has not been scared watching anything ever so i was quite surprised. We had to leave about 1/2 way through. I look forward to watching it with him when he is a bit older.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byKatie C January 13, 2018

Amazingly beautiful film; but one MAJOR language concern

I have twin boys who were worried about dead people and skeletons, but with some pre-movie conversations, they did great. My biggest and only concern was the use of the word "MURDERER" several times. This word and what it means is not suitable for young children. Who wants to explain to their child that it is an action where one person kills another person on purpose!!!! Disney and Pixar have previously done a (mostly) wonderful job of handling characters dying. I understand it is usually a major part of the story/plot, but the use of this word is not appropriate. With as many creative who work for these companies, they should have found a better language. I believe Lion King uses the word, but it is in high action and quickly said ONCE... it's easy to miss. This movie says it several times. I taken aback by it and not prepared for the questions. Clicking the swearing box for this language.

Adult Written byfatf January 2, 2018

Scary, but children 8 and older can probably handle it.

This movie is extremely positive and not much violence. The only upsetting scene is when Hector dies of drinking poisonous tequila. It shows a cultural Mexican belief of the day of the dead. Sex is not a big issue since the nude skeleton did not have genitals.

Adult Written byAllison D. December 3, 2017

4 and 5 year old had nightmares

I think there's 3 things going on here that affect my review. 1) It took way too long to get the movie started with the 30 minute Frozen short film beforehand. 2) The focus on dead people, skeletons and scary faces scared my kids beyond belief. Also the giant snarling flying tiger. They were both sitting in my lap and telling me how scared they were about half way through. Then both had nightmares that night. Fail! 3) My kids' grandmother just died in May which is something they're still traumatized by. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone who has lost a family member or pet recently. I should have researched more about this movie before taking them. -- my fault -- but I assumed it was another Pixar Disney movie. My 4 year-old is particularly sensitive and cried when the little boy was separated from his family and when he cried on screen. Ugh. It was brutal. Otherwise, as an adult, it was a little slow at times but cleverly integrated the importance of memory, family and pursuing your dreams.

Adult Written byChristopher K. November 25, 2017

Don't see this in the theater

Unfortunately Disney has decided to slip in a HORRIBLY low quality twenty one minute "animated short" from Frozen prior to the movie (if you liked Frozen, this will quickly make you hate it. It's really that bad - check out reviews online). This means you will wait at least 45 minutes between previews and this "short" before the main event. If you are going to see this in the theater, do yourself a favor and arrive 30 minutes or more late. Otherwise, like the audience I saw this with, you will find yourself feeling taken advantage of. I'd love my time back. The movie Coco itself? Great, lovely turns and brilliantly creative, but the experience of seeing it in the theater was so negative if I'd known what Disney was forcing down my throat I'd wait for the DVD.
Adult Written byMy Reviewssss August 13, 2018

Not for sensitive children

It’s a great movie, just not for sensitive children. Talks about murder and death. Not a good movie to see for young or children that get scared easily.

Parent of a 6-year-old Written byWendy M. November 25, 2017

excellent film, just not for my 6-year old

We went as a family to see Coco in the theater, and unfortunately had to leave after half an hour. A few things to know:
1. the movie previews (AMC theater) were 30 minutes long, and some were quite frightening as well as having mildly sexually suggestive content (i.e. a nude male gnome doing a strip-tease). Not what I was expecting at all.

2. Pixar had a "short" film before the movie - Olaf's Frozen Adventure - which was okay (but not great), and 22 minutes long. My kid was very confused because he thought we had come to see Coco, and didn't get why we were seeing "Frozen" instead.

So by the time the movie started, it had been about 50 minutes since the listed start time, my kid was already a bit jumpy from the previews, and was getting restless. Not a great start by any means.

Once Coco actually started, it was visually beautiful, the storyline was engaging (to me as an adult), and I was pleased to see that they got many aspects of Mexican culture spot-on. However, 30 minutes in, we had to leave. I think this was due to the long wait time to get to the film, plus:

3. there are a few scenes early on that involve the grandmother yelling at the grandchild, and

4. there are some (visually beautiful and dramatic), but somewhat surprising scenes where fantasy animals jump and move in unexpected ways.

With all of that, I think my 6-year-old had enough, and he started crying to go home, so we left. None of this should be taken as a criticism of the film, it's really just a heads-up to parents of more sensitive kids, and also a criticism of whatever media genius thought it would be a good idea to have 50 minutes (!) of non-film content before actually getting to the movie.

Practically, what I'd recommend is that parents think about whether or not their kid might be upset by scenes of adults yelling at kids, and surprising visual effects. And if your kid is okay with all that. if you can, get someone to save your seats, and don't actually enter the theater until 45 minutes after the scheduled start time.
Adult Written byLiz H. November 22, 2017

Fantastic film!

This movie was wonderful. While we didn't care for the 30 minute Frozen mini feature before it, we loved Coco. Parts were sad but the message and the music were great! Perfect for the whole family, with an unexpected plot twist near the end.
I'd see it again and we are going to download the soundtrack. 5 stars!!

Parent of a 2 and 6-year-old Written byVivian L. November 18, 2017

Takes you back

Love the concept i was born in a mexican family the smallest deatails the chankla the tamalaes how they always remeber family i lived everything about it took me back to qhen i was young and my kids loved it even my 2yr. Old .

Parent of a 8-year-old Written byT P November 17, 2017

Saw in Spanish, Skeptical, Loved it!

I was very skeptical of my beloved holiday and culture being exploited. I saw it a month before released, in Spanish, with a negative heart towards it and surprisingly ended up loving it. It is actually culturally sensitive! I really enjoyed it, visual candy, endearing characters, viva Mexican actors! My child loved it, even though her poor Spanish only understood about half of what was being said! I felt transported to Zacatecas, Mexico, which is a lovely feeling, without stepping on a plane.

From an adult-parent watching point-of-view. It's colorful animation makes up for it's lack of originality. It borrowed a lot quite obviously from The Book of Life. Maybe, Book of Life meets the indie sensation, El Marachi. I saw many other film influences, all good choices. The characters reminded me blatantly of the 60's stop motion characters "Davey and Goliath", a boy and his dog, the scenery reminded me of Luis Bunuels film "Los Olvidados" and Sergei Eisenstein's "Viva Mexico", both which every film student had to have seen. I love those films, so it's okay!

I can't wait to see the English version, snd wonder if it will translate differently!?

Parent Written byKelly H. December 3, 2018

Sweet Movie

This movie teaches the important lessons of respecting your elders and showing love and appreciation towards your ancestors. It is a very sweet movie. Some heavy topics of death and the afterlife though. Scenes could be a little scary as well as sad for little ones. My son loved it, but he agrees that it's really sad and heavy. My son is 8, and I think the movie is appropriate for 9 or 10.

Adult Written bymovies.are.lit November 6, 2018

ummmmmmm WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murder, seriously, that ain't it chief. Sorry this movie is so scary and dark. I would not even let my mom watch this.
Adult Written bybaileycash97 August 12, 2018

For older kids

This is a classic Pixar film that provides plenty of plot twists. The idea of "death" and "being forgotten" may be a little scary or sad for younger kids, on top of some suspenseful elements.

Adult Written by[email protected] July 20, 2018

Not So Good

I've tried saying worse but I legit can't get by whatever blockade software they have.
Parent of a 3 and 5-year-old Written bylessismore June 26, 2018

Not for sensitive children

I just watched this movie without my children to decide if I wanted to show it to them and I am so glad I did because I was shocked. There are definitely scary, upsetting themes. And I saw some other reviews touched on this, but I want to emphasize that there is a murder sub-plot (one of the characters poisons another character, who happens to be his best friend). I don't understand why that is necessary in a children's movie. If your child has a sense of awareness, or is highly sensitive, or asks a lot of questions to truly understand things (like my almost 6 year old) I would seriously avoid this movie until they are much older to be able to comprehend the heavy topics being discussed.

Adult Written bySLP Mom of 3 June 23, 2018

Great story of love and family

My kids loved this movie. My three year old was disturbed by some of the “silly” skeleton scenes. For example, there’s a scene where one of the skeletons falls apart like bowling pins and then puts himself back together. It’s not meant to be scary, but my daughter was very scared by this. I also think that if your child understands the death aspect of this movie, they may be overwhelmed and upset by it. My 5 year old thinks it’s just another land/world and doesn’t really get the death aspect and so she is not disturbed by the movie at all. As someone who has lost family members in my life, I personally find this movie extremely heart wrenching and I cry like a baby every time I watch it. However, it has a great message and a happy ending.

Adult Written byNathaniel L. June 20, 2018

BORING

It’s a shame, because I really like the songs and the design, but I just found the plot extremely boring.