Parent reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byWendy M. November 25, 2017

excellent film, just not for my 6-year old

We went as a family to see Coco in the theater, and unfortunately had to leave after half an hour. A few things to know: 1. the movie previews (AMC theater) were 30 minutes long, and some were quite frightening as well as having mildly sexually suggestive content (i.e. a nude male gnome doing a strip-tease). Not what I was expecting at all. 2. Pixar had a "short" film before the movie - Olaf's Frozen Adventure - which was okay (but not great), and 22 minutes long. My kid was very confused because he thought we had come to see Coco, and didn't get why we were seeing "Frozen" instead. So by the time the movie started, it had been about 50 minutes since the listed start time, my kid was already a bit jumpy from the previews, and was getting restless. Not a great start by any means. Once Coco actually started, it was visually beautiful, the storyline was engaging (to me as an adult), and I was pleased to see that they got many aspects of Mexican culture spot-on. However, 30 minutes in, we had to leave. I think this was due to the long wait time to get to the film, plus: 3. there are a few scenes early on that involve the grandmother yelling at the grandchild, and 4. there are some (visually beautiful and dramatic), but somewhat surprising scenes where fantasy animals jump and move in unexpected ways. With all of that, I think my 6-year-old had enough, and he started crying to go home, so we left. None of this should be taken as a criticism of the film, it's really just a heads-up to parents of more sensitive kids, and also a criticism of whatever media genius thought it would be a good idea to have 50 minutes (!) of non-film content before actually getting to the movie. Practically, what I'd recommend is that parents think about whether or not their kid might be upset by scenes of adults yelling at kids, and surprising visual effects. And if your kid is okay with all that. if you can, get someone to save your seats, and don't actually enter the theater until 45 minutes after the scheduled start time.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byNaomi R. November 27, 2017

Scary for Sensitive Kids

My 8 year old daughter was sobbing when the movie ended and kept saying how scary it was. If your kid usually gets undertones in film or books beyond her age level or is a deep feeling little person, you may want to either check it out first on your own or avoid this one for a few years until they are older. I wish I hadn't believed the reviews and tested it out for myself.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byT P November 17, 2017

Saw in Spanish, Skeptical, Loved it!

I was very skeptical of my beloved holiday and culture being exploited. I saw it a month before released, in Spanish, with a negative heart towards it and surprisingly ended up loving it. It is actually culturally sensitive! I really enjoyed it, visual candy, endearing characters, viva Mexican actors! My child loved it, even though her poor Spanish only understood about half of what was being said! I felt transported to Zacatecas, Mexico, which is a lovely feeling, without stepping on a plane. From an adult-parent watching point-of-view. It's colorful animation makes up for it's lack of originality. It borrowed a lot quite obviously from The Book of Life. Maybe, Book of Life meets the indie sensation, El Marachi. I saw many other film influences, all good choices. The characters reminded me blatantly of the 60's stop motion characters "Davey and Goliath", a boy and his dog, the scenery reminded me of Luis Bunuels film "Los Olvidados" and Sergei Eisenstein's "Viva Mexico", both which every film student had to have seen. I love those films, so it's okay! I can't wait to see the English version, snd wonder if it will translate differently!?

Adult Written byNancy W. November 28, 2017

not for sensitive children

I took by 4yr 11 mo. old grandson who has seen all kinds of movie monsters, zombies, transformers, etc. He has never been scared of any of these saying they are only stories. However, he cried twice (scared not sad). He was very disturbed when Miguel was thrown into the pit and couldn't get out and also when various characters were in peril of vanishing forever because they had been forgotten. He was also puzzled about Miguel going against what his family was telling him to do, avoid music. He pronounced it a bad movie. We had some talks later about how he was saved by his family, and the love shown as well as the beautiful animation. Also discussed that a good story always has some problem to be overcome and compared it to other movies and the many books he has read, reminding him it was only a story. He did not have nightmares, but would not recommend for younger children if they are sensitive about death and mistreatment.
Parent Written byAnanth R. December 13, 2017

Dissapointing

First off, I never ever take the time to write a review so this one really mattered. Lets get the good stuff out of the way as there wasnt much - exquisitely animated, gorgeous cinematography. As for the negative, I was appalled that a murder plot was included in a kids movie!! Seriously, do kids need to learn about how to murder their competitors? And it was not like the scene was one and done, it kept recurring in the movie with references. It was truly cringe worthy and none of the fantastic visuals could make up for it....It seems like the team at Pixar does not really know what is appropriate for kids.... So much potential but alas!

Adult Written byChristopher K. November 25, 2017

Don't see this in the theater

Unfortunately Disney has decided to slip in a HORRIBLY low quality twenty one minute "animated short" from Frozen prior to the movie (if you liked Frozen, this will quickly make you hate it. It's really that bad - check out reviews online). This means you will wait at least 45 minutes between previews and this "short" before the main event. If you are going to see this in the theater, do yourself a favor and arrive 30 minutes or more late. Otherwise, like the audience I saw this with, you will find yourself feeling taken advantage of. I'd love my time back. The movie Coco itself? Great, lovely turns and brilliantly creative, but the experience of seeing it in the theater was so negative if I'd known what Disney was forcing down my throat I'd wait for the DVD.
Adult Written byAllison D. December 3, 2017

4 and 5 year old had nightmares

I think there's 3 things going on here that affect my review. 1) It took way too long to get the movie started with the 30 minute Frozen short film beforehand. 2) The focus on dead people, skeletons and scary faces scared my kids beyond belief. Also the giant snarling flying tiger. They were both sitting in my lap and telling me how scared they were about half way through. Then both had nightmares that night. Fail! 3) My kids' grandmother just died in May which is something they're still traumatized by. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone who has lost a family member or pet recently. I should have researched more about this movie before taking them. -- my fault -- but I assumed it was another Pixar Disney movie. My 4 year-old is particularly sensitive and cried when the little boy was separated from his family and when he cried on screen. Ugh. It was brutal. Otherwise, as an adult, it was a little slow at times but cleverly integrated the importance of memory, family and pursuing your dreams.

Adult Written byireinab December 11, 2017

Not for children who are grieving

It's a beautiful film but it really upset my 5 year old who recently lost his cousin who he was very close to. He is never scared of movies and this was not well received by him. This might be ok for kids that are not grieving but if yours are, I highly advise to avoid this movie.

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byVivian L. November 18, 2017

Takes you back

Love the concept i was born in a mexican family the smallest deatails the chankla the tamalaes how they always remeber family i lived everything about it took me back to qhen i was young and my kids loved it even my 2yr. Old .

Adult Written bygloriab2 December 2, 2017

Not for children

My husband took my 8, 6 and 4 years old children. They all said the movie was sad. I asked my eldest to rate the movie, 1-10, he answered 1, I would give it a 0 but you didn't include it in the range! The 8 year old was astonished to see one person poisoned another one. "can you believed the did a movie like that!" his words. Don't waste your money and time. Do not go and see this movie.

Parent Written byJulie W. November 28, 2017

A beautiful and sad and happy film

I highly recommend the film. My children (8) found the story to be sad (tears streaming from me and one of the kids) but a lovely movie. We have had to deal with a death of their grandmother a few years back and this made the film more poignant. Great family values of supporting your family and being true to yourself. And remembering your loved ones as a way of honoring their lives.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byYesenia A. November 26, 2017

Outstanding film!

I have a four year old who sat in my lap by the middle of the movie. She understood it was about the dead but she didn't like it. She isn't prepared to discuss the theme. I'm also a single mother so the absence of a father for Coco (who really did love her) was also another point she isn't prepared to discuss. Given the themes---my four year old wasn't ready. As an adult learner and mom and latina----the film is simply beautiful. When I ask my daughter if she wants to see it again--she says "never again." Do I want to see it again---"yes!"

Grandparent of a 3 year old Written bySheryl S. November 24, 2017

Amazing movie for all ages

We took our bilingual 3 year old grandson. We were afraid he would be afraid of the elaborate costumes in the Land if the Dead, but he was not afraid. He loved the movie. We all cried at the tender ending.

Adult Written byLiz H. November 22, 2017

Fantastic film!

This movie was wonderful. While we didn't care for the 30 minute Frozen mini feature before it, we loved Coco. Parts were sad but the message and the music were great! Perfect for the whole family, with an unexpected plot twist near the end. I'd see it again and we are going to download the soundtrack. 5 stars!!

Parent of an infant, 5, and 8 year old Written byCourtney T. January 3, 2018

Ok with prep for my sensitive kids

My children are very sensitive. Normally we don’t have them watch any movies beyond G rating, and sometimes not even those! They get nightmares from seeing Halloween decorations that other kids seem OK with, etc. So I was not going to let them see this movie— except we had an extended family gathering and all went to see it as a group. So I felt pressured to attend. I prepared my kids by talking ahead of time in detail about every bit of the movie yes, all the spoilers! Spoiler alert: I told my kids there will be a monster, and it is hunting down a child, but turns out to be a friendly monster in the end. I told them a child falls into a pit but is able to get out. I told my children somebody gets murdered in the movie, and we had more extended discussion about evil, that it exists in the world, but good (God) is more powerful. My husband and I told the kids that we brought two vehicles to the movie theater so one parent could go home and watch a different fun movie with any of our kids who felt like he or she wanted to leave Coco. During the movie, we checked in a couple times with our five-year-old daughter during intense moments in the film, and she assured she was OK. The kids did great. The baby enjoyed watching about 10 minutes, and then I nursed him to sleep and he slept for most of the movie. It was a really wonderful movie that our whole family ended up enjoying immensely! So glad we went, but it was good that we prepared the kids. Thanks to all the commonsense media folks who gave info to help me know what to talk about with my kids ahead of time. After the movie, I asked the kids what they thought. 8 year-old son said “I had tears in my eyes at the end when the boy was saying the photographs are real people, and they need us to remember them.” 5 year old daughter said her favorite part was “ when the boy was nice to his family.” I feel gratified to see the positive themes were what my kids took home with them and they did not seem overly preoccupied with any of the scary or negative parts of the film.

Adult Written byCd C. November 26, 2017

Awesome

My kids and I laughed, cried, loved the characters and music. Beautiful film.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byFar M. November 26, 2017

Excellent for the whole family

This is a great movie. Not only for what it says to the kids about respecting their elders, but also changing your goals based on integrity. Loved it.

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byAlisa M. November 25, 2017

We loved this movie. It beautifully showed the relationship with those who have passed on. The lead character, Miguel, is kind and sensitive.

Adult Written byCamila R. March 5, 2018

Sensitive kids or overprotective parents?

Look, the visuals and amazing vivid variations of colors depending of wich world it is located. I have read many indignant reviews about people speaking about how their sensitive children cried because of Mama Imelda's "Kitten" wich was a beautiful spiritual animal that represents Mexican culture quite perfectly. If your children are sensitive and prefer to watch some trash like "Discapable Me 3: Separated At Birth" (Wich seems like a title for one of my mother's mexican soap operas by the way) It is because you are an overprotective parent that has never exposed their child to the true artistic cinematografic universe, wich, for what I've seen, NOT BABY TV.

Adult Written byValerie G. December 3, 2017

Knocked it Out of the Park!

Like many other reviewers, this is a standout from Disney. Its culturally sensitive, deals with real world issues, poses and solves moral dilemmas and the production stellar. Great songs, dazzling visuals and impeccable character voicing. Not appropriate for younger kids or highly sensitive kids 8 to 9 years.