Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Teen, 17 years old Written byT J November 26, 2017

Very good and NOT a ripoff of the book of life.

Coco is unfortunately the last original (non-sequel) Pixar film of the decade and it’s the only movie I’ve really been looking forward to seeing all year so I had very high expectations for this movie and I was worried the movie might turn out to be average but seem worse than it really is due to my very high expectations, but fortunately it really did live up to the hype! In fact, I’d probably place Coco within my top five favorite Pixar movies! I also really love Mexican culture and I gotta say this movie nails the holiday perfectly!

The animation is amazing and some of Pixar’s best. The colors are very bright and vibrant and are the best use of colors in any Pixar movie. The music and songs are memorable. The characters are great and can be relatable to someone trying follow their dreams even if their family doesn’t believe in them. I also love how when the characters play guitar their fingers are on the right strings and music we hear coresponds with the notes being played by the characters. The story is also really good and original.

Many people have called this movie a ripoff of the book of life because they both are set in Mexico and are about a character traveling to the land of the dead and they both have a protagonist who plays guitar. But honestly Coco is actually very different from the book of life despite these similarities.

Coco is about a boy named Miguel who wants to be a musician but can’t because his family has banned music because Miguel’s great great grandfather was a musician and abandoned his family. Miguel secretly plays guitar and watches videos of his hero Ernesto de la Cruz, the greatest musician ever without his family’s Knowledge. But after Miguel’s family finds out he’s playing guitar behind their backs his grandmother destroys his guitar and forbids him from playing music. But Miguel doesn’t listen and decides he needs to seize his moment to become a musician so he decides to sign up for a talent show for the day of the dead, but since his old guitar was destroyed he decides to steal a guitar from the famous dead musician, Ernesto de la Cruz. After stealing the guitar Miguel becomes cursed and finds himself in the the land of the dead and must get a blessing from his long lost great great grandfather before sunrise in order to go home.

On the other hand, the book of life is a romance story about the rulers of the land of the remembered and the land of the forgotten, La Muerte and Xibalba respectively setting a wager for their worlds after seeing a boy named Manolo and his friend Joaquín competing over a girl named María. La Muerte bets Manolo will marry María while Xibalba bets Joaquín will marry María. But Xibalba cheats by giving Joaquín his Medal of Everlasting Life, which will make him invincible. Manolo dreams of playing guitar but years later, Manolo's dreams are suppressed by his father Carlos, who trains him to be a bullfighter to honor their family, while Joaquín becomes a hero with the Medal's aid. María is pressured by her father to marry Joaquín for his protection. María and Manolo both profess their love for each other but are interrupted when Xibalba sends his two headed snake staff to bite María and send her into a coma. Devastated by María's apparent death, Manolo allows Xibalba to kill him, believing he will be reunited with María in death. Manolo ends up in the land of the remembered and must find a way to get home after finding out Xibalba cheated and realizing María is still alive.

So yeah Coco and the book of life have very different stories and characters and the few similarities they do have are not copyrighted, anyone has the right to make a story about the day of the dead or have a main character who plays guitar. Also the book of life came out in 2014 and even though Coco came out in 2017 the idea for Coco was pitched to Pixar in 2010 so by the time the book of life came out Coco would’ve already been several years into production and therefore couldn’t of taken inspiration from the book of life. The similarities between Coco and the the book of life are pure coincidences.

Overall, Coco is one the best Pixar films of the decade and I highly recommend you don’t pass on it due to it’s similarities with the book of life. As for the content in the movie, there’s a fair amount of drinking in the movie though no one gets drunk. Characters drink from shot glasses but it’s never actually said what’s in the shot glasses. (spoilers!) a character poisons another character’s drink to kill him so he can steal his guitar and songs, but this might be over some younger kid’s heads. The only instance of violence is a giant bell falling on to a character and killing him (twice) and that’s basically it. This movie should fine for kids 6+ Who aren’t sensitive.

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I don’t think the book of life is a bad movie, I actually think it’s very good. But I just felt the need to point out the differences between Coco and the book of life after a number of people I know (including my sister) refused to give Coco a chance because they thought it was a ripoff of the book of life, which it’s definitely not!

Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2017

One of my two favorite movies right now!

Absolutely in love with this movie. It’s definitely not a ripoff of Book Of Life. The music is amazing, and I love the characters in the movie. I recommend this to everyone!

Kid, 9 years old December 12, 2017

NOT THAT NICE!!!!!!!

It was a nice movie ,but I think it could be much better.So ,their were some nice movements but I think that the movie could be more long. I think that in this movie there are a lot of relatoins so you need to understand a lot.Any way I think that they tried their best.But i am not satisffied. It could be much better.Ok so enjoy the movie.
bye!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySteve 97 December 9, 2017

not the best

I went to see this film with a few of my friends and we all wanted to leave because it was so boring. Many people were saying it was a good film but really skip it
Kid, 9 years old December 3, 2017

Coco: it was awesome x 100000000

Coco was awesome. Awesome. If you’re looking for a movie on a relaxing weekend, a rushed workday, or even a day where you just can’t do anything, Coco is the right movie. Beautiful colors, spectacular sound, and a thrilling, breathtaking, what-just-happened story line. Coco makes your heart skip a beat, makes your eyes water, and makes you go, “Wow.” This amazing movie is perfect for all ages, and the perfect one to watch with your family. Why? Watch Coco to find out.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAdam Atom November 27, 2017

A Fantastic Kids Movie

There's nothing too scary for your young ones, considering this IS Pixar after all.

Teen, 13 years old Written byStingraysarecool August 16, 2020

Coco is a bit problematic (spoilers)

First off, amazing animation and visuals, and great characters. Now on to my other opinions on this movie:
So I put 10 and up in the reviews, and this is pretty give or take. If your child will not understand what I'm about to tell you, even when explained in simple terms, don't let them watch it. Because in my opinion, if you watch a movie that you know is problematic, you should make sure you understand exactly why.
What I want to address is the use of border patrol in this movie. It is not at all inherently wrong to put this in the movie, as it is an important message to portray to both children and adults that the systems in place are not at all good, and even hostile. However, the ending is the problem. The ending ends with these systems still in place, and also don't address them towards the end. They use these systems of breaking up classes, border control, poverty, all of these great messages that could have come of them, for what? They simply characterize Hector as a victim of these unjust systems, and then just leave it at the end, not addressing or shutting down the systems in the end, and instead just having Hector use those exact same systems to get by past the bridge. That's it. No message about the things they'd been setting up about for like the whole first half of the movie.
I do not blame anyone for not noticing this, as I did not the first time I watched it. Only after I had just been thinking about things from a Marxist lense, we watched this movie and then I noticed the classes, the harsh poverty, border patrol, etc. And was extremely disgusted by the ending. There are even plenty of movies that address these issues and then create a message about them, without changing the systems themselves. This is what could have happened to Coco, but it didn't. I'm sorry to those of you who loved this movie, it's just my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoranikas303 July 21, 2020

Remember me!

Not a Book of Life rip-off, it's one of the Pixar's masterpiece. For those who said “The Book of Life rip-off”, then back off! It's a good Pixar movie with beautiful animation, great characters, great songs and good plot. If you loved Got Talent shows, then you may see this. It has some few scary moments, like Miguel falls from great heights, get arrested, slapstick, and Ernesto De La Cruz was crushed by the bell. In flashbacks of Hector and Ernesto, Hector gets killed by drinking alcohol. Mama Coco's true father is Hector and his music makes her remember. It has few sad scenes like Mama Coco forgets and an old skeleton fades away. Pepita, a spiritual flying jaguar can scary for youngest viewers but she can search for Miguel. I have the only problem is there is argument between Miguel and his family even skeleton families. It has great messages and it has some educational value like Dias de los muretos(IDK if I spelled that). Only Mexico can celebrate Dias de los Muertos except other Hispanic countries like Colombia, Spain, and more. It has some Spanish language too but some viewers don't understand well. You may use vocabulary and Hispanic people can try to translate. I watched Disney Craziness before I watched the movie and I laughed about “No music!”. I recommend for ages 7 because of some scenes can frighten for younger viewers. I even marked sex because of a nude female skeleton gets drawed played for laughs. Good, Pixar!

Teen, 13 years old Written byMr. Review Guy July 17, 2020

The BEST Pixar movie, but has some cringe.

Coco is Pixar’s BEST film yet by a LANDSLIDE! You NEED to watch it ASAP, because it is probably in my top 10/15 favorite movies of ALL TIME! The music in the movie, for example, Un Poco Loco, will get you tapping your feet for sure, and maybe even get you singing along. However, there are some parts that are kind of cringe. (Warning: Spoilers!) For example, near the middle, Miguel is trying to find Dante, and comes across a naked woman skeleton, who is posing for a picture. No parts are shown, just bones. However, it is kind of weird that Pixar would put that in their movie, because it is something that happens in real life. Also, towards the end, Hector tells Miguel that Ernesto de la Cruz stole his songs, and I thought, “If you knew this the whole time, why didn’t you tell Miguel?” Hector and Miguel talked about de la Cruz’s music a few times throughout the movie, and don’t tell me Hector wasn’t thinking about de la Cruz stealing his songs. Coco is a FANTASTIC movie, but it felt like Pixar just didn’t care about the movie in certain spots. It is still a FANTASTIC Pixar movie, and my mind is blown on it. Pixar NEEDS to make a Coco 2, or at least something similar to Coco. Go watch Coco and add it to your DVD collection ASAP!

Kid, 6 years old July 14, 2020

This movie is really good!

It was so funny!!!!!!!!

Kid, 10 years old June 13, 2020

Stunning Animation

The animation in this film is truly beautiful. This really is one of my favorite movies by far.

Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2020

Great Movie, has some scary and sad parts.

Parents need to know that this movie is all about the day of the dead and family. Amazing role models and messeges about family. Three characters die (one dies from food posioning which is a scary scene), but they all come back as skelotons. Fab Movie!

Teen, 14 years old Written bythisiscinematic May 26, 2020

Kid, 10 years old May 26, 2020

Great movie with important messages

This movie is about a boy called Miguel, his family and a singer called Ernesto de la Cruz. This movie shows you that you should never give up on your dreams and to always remember your family. I would recommend it to people who want to know more about Mexican culture or people who just enjoy watching Pixar movies. I would not recommend this to people who are scared of skeletons. This movie talks about how death is okay, we’ll all eventually die but you don’t have to be scared of it. I think this is an important lesson to teach children.

Kid, 12 years old May 21, 2020

It’s a great movie!

One of my favorite movies of all time. Great for families

Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2020

coco

this movie is moving. it sometimes makes you think about your family . it great film for family film and this movie is good for everyone in the family and it shows family time.

Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2020

Stunning Pixar movie has dramatic scenes and lots of themes

I saw this in the cinemas with my mum, my older brother, and my younger sister, who was 5 at the time. Now, I didn't expect this to NOT be appropriate for kids under the age of 9! My sister was crying and some of the scenes like the death of a skeleton, and the loss of his grandma. What I like about it that the music is very good, the storyline is amazing, and the CGI is very good.

Kid, 9 years old April 22, 2020

Nice but KINDA a ripoff to book of life. Barely.

Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2020

Harmony & Heart Break

This movie broke my heart, wonderful movie

Teen, 14 years old Written byDramaPurrito April 13, 2020

Irony.. (It’s an Inside Joke for me..)

Prepare to BAWL YOUR EYES OUT

I call this the saddest (but best!) movie ever
Beautiful music and animation too!