All parent member reviews for Contact

Adult Written byPaddlehead February 1, 2010

Not appropriate for tweens and young teens

This movie celebrates inquiry -being curious about our world,, and following one's dream/beliefs/vision in spite of strongly opposing views and opinions to them. There is a casual sex scene (flash of breast) between the "man of faith" and the "scientist", which is inconsistent with messages I'd like my tween to have about sex. Unfortunately, info is revealled during the bed scene which is important to the plot later skipping it would compromise understanding. Plenty of foul language. Also, Christians are portrayed as being on the "right" or extreme, which is a biased and atypical representation of Christians.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Bad SciFi

I love SciFi and this one is worth missing. 90% build up to a 10% blaa
Adult Written byShann January 16, 2012

Great movie for teens and adults.

I saw this with my father when it first came out, I was six, the sexual content went right over my head and I didn't find it scary. However I wouldn't recommend letting young kids watch it since they just won't understand it. I was asking my dad "what's happening?" every five minutes. Watched it again at age 14 and it became one of my favourite movies. Don't expect a typical sci-fi film though, it's much more grounded and realistic. Great themes to talk with teens about. The movie raises a lot of questions about religion, morality, what it is to be human etc. and if it doesn't give you a sense of awe and inspiration for the universe we live in, nothing will.
Adult Written byChristian Paren... September 16, 2015

Out of this world and over many children's heads

This movie is great as it reminds us of an underlying question, do we give up our religion as we search through the stars and beyond. While the story develops slowly, most kids will lose interest as the anticipation is very drawn out. The fact that there's romantic and death scenes in the film make me question why people would want their preteens to see this. While there's swearing and violence along with a love scene, I think most children shouldn't be introduced to these themes prematurely. This is exactly why I can't watch ABC Family with my kids (all under 10) anymore... I will not subject my kids to the continued immoral devaluation of imaginative storytelling without gratuitous content.