All parent member reviews for Cool Runnings

Parent of a 8, 8, and 10 year old Written byNondug February 20, 2011

My kids loved it.

Funny story of the Jamaican bobsledders. The characters have to work hard and overcome struggle. Interesting look at a different culture (OK, a cartoonish representation of another culture). Curse words are used very infrequently.
Adult Written byjoseboy6799 August 16, 2012

cool runnings

cool film, got a positve messege to it, but is it a true story? cant tell!! still good. will attract kids. fighting in the bar but apart from that good!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

cool runnings

Families can talk about why the filmmakers made things up for the movie, rather than sticking with the true story. Why do you think that happens? Is bobsledding as engaging a sport as football, baseball, or basketball? Why or why not? What is the movie saying about sportsmanship and the spirit of the Olympic Games?
Parent Written bycarmenm2 April 18, 2015
good for kids
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 November 9, 2014

Predictably uplifting story with attention-grabbing topic

The words "Jamaican bobsledding" are like "square tire"...they simply don't go together! Not to brag, but all you have to do is look at the DVD cover of this movie to see what it's going to be: John Candy in a refreshingly more dramatic role (Doug E. Doug is more the comic relief here) is the bitter, reluctant coach to take on a ragtag team of Jamaicans and make them Olympic champions. There's going to be them getting together, practicing, the conflict that ultimately unites them: this movie has no surprises except the ending, which only surprised me because I was unfamiliar of the true story. It's typical, comfort food Disney fluff, that has surprisingly a lot more profanities in it than I would expect in a PG film! I think the story is fine, but some references they make in "Cool Runnings" make this more of a tween-friendly movie.
Adult Written byalistairkenakena July 3, 2016

A great show of breaking stereotypes

What we liked: • They showed inspiring teamwork, • The bobsleighing because Jamaica has never done it before, • They showed great resilience, • It was funny, • They broke the stereotypes, even though everyone said they can’t do it, • Showed us not to make fun of people who can’t do it or are different, • Gave us hope! What we didn’t like about it: • In a part, when they argue, they didn’t show good teamwork, • The part when they showed people getting injured and dying in bobsleighing might upset or scare young kids, • The fight in the bar might encourage children to fight, • Some light swearing, which may offend young kids. We would recommend it to: • Kids 7 and older.