Parent reviews for Coraline

Coraline Poster Image

Consider your kid's personality

My friend has loved this movie for years but I never watched it until 2 months ago. I LOVE it. I love it so much that I keep reading more about it and just bought the book. I think you really need to consider your child's personality for this one. My 10yo and 2yo are fine with it, but they like spooky stuff. My 8yo thinks it's too creepy, but she gets spooked easily. All depends on the kid.

6 people found this helpful.

EXTREMELY HORRIFYING

SCARY!!! My 10 year old watched this and she was seriously traumatized!!! I couldn't get her to fall asleep for the past week and a half. I DO NOT RECOMMEND showing anyone younger than 18 this film! Absolutely ridiculous!

Horror

My husband could not sleep and my 2 kids (14 and 12) did now sleep. They all made me check the attic, closets, and pantry. DO NOT LET YOU KID WATCH THIS!!!!

Coraline

The animation is cool but the movie was scary. My 13-year-old was terrified. My 16-year-old thought it was scary but not terrifying.

weird world

4 and 8 year old daughters watched this. Here is the review from our 8 year old: It was creepy. It was interesting and a little weird. After I got creeped I stopped watching. Everyone had buttons for eyes in this other world. Somebody stole their eyes, but they don't know who. Our 4 year old liked it at first and wasn't scared. But when the parents in the dream world turned bad, and the images got scary, she asked us to come in to watch with her. Personally, I (mom), did not much care for the story-- and even I thought the whole thing was strangely drawn and not very interesting. And also a little creepy. I am surprised at the common sense media reviews-- as well as the generally positive (highly) of the film. Oh well! I do think this could lead to nightmares. Image going into a world where your parents turn around and have black buttons for eyes, and they don't care for you any more-- and then when you go back to the 'real' world, your parents are gone. It's like the x-files.

Very disturbing for my mature 10 year old

I joined this site specifically so that I could post this review. In the words of my child: “They take everything that makes a kid feel safe and make it unsafe.” I’m sure you’ve read all the horrible stuff, but here’s a list of some things that disturbed her— —the image of sewing buttons into your eyes, with a very sharp needle —the image of a boy’s mouth sewn up into a smile by the other mother when he doesn’t smile enough for her —the fact that the scary things can reach thru beds and walls (“so that I don’t feel safe in my bed, which I usually do after a scary movie”) —that there are dead children, killed by the other mother, in the other world —that the parents are powerless in the face of the other mother and coraline has to rescue them. This scared her because it made me less of a comfort to her that night at bedtime. I could go on. I will admit that she’s a sensitive kid, but she did fine with Kubo, Harry Potter, and many other films with intense action or some creepiness. But the way that psychological horror is aimed at a kid’s level is just infuriating to me. Bottom line—not for young kids or even sensitive older ones. Proceed with extreme caution and preferably watch it with them. This film makes me sad that this a type of story we want to tell our children.
3 people found this helpful.

Really any kid can watch it

One of my children was born a month before this came out and has been addicted to watching it ever since. My eldest child was watching it one day and the other became attached. I mean she watched this so much at least once a week. So often that I know the entire movie’s script by heart just because of how many times I watched it with her. Needless to say it is a very good movie, it would be better if I personally didn’t have as much trauma from watching it so often but my daughter really enjoys it and she was never creeped out by it or anything so I feel like this movie is for everyone.

2 people found this helpful.

this movie scared my poor daughter who is high school

THIS MOVIE SCARED MY POOR BOO BEAR HELGA. SHE DIDN'T SLEEP AND STARTED PACING DURING THE NIGHT. SHE WOULD GO TOWARDS HER CLOSET AND SAY "CORALINE BEWARE GET OUT" IT TORE OUR FAMILY APART AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!!!!! ALSO I'M SO SORRY BECAUSE I TURNS THIS CAPITAL LETTER THING ON AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT OFF.

Disturbing

I found this movie pretty disturbing when I first watched it (age 9) and still feel the same a couple years on. The nudity is inappropriate for young kids, and I felt genuinely disturbed by the dark storyline. The mother spider skeleton was really scary, and the fact that she wants to see buttons into the girls eyes isn’t nice. I don’t think this movie is good for children who are more sensitive to disturbing scenes or dark concepts or who actually want a good nights sleep afterwards.

FOR A CHILDREN’S MOVIE, HORRIFYING

This movie is meant for children, but it is creepy and my children were extremely frightened by it, as were others. Don’t let anyone who’s under 12 watch it, and if they’re mature, maybe 10 or 11. Can’t believe it’s PG.