All parent member reviews for Crash

Adult Written byDan in AZ April 9, 2008

Best look at racism in US

My 16 year old daughter cannot stop talking about this movie - and taking her friends to see it. The intersecting lives of the many races and cultures of Los Angeles portray the subtle and harmful ways that racism affects everyone. Characters are real - they have positive and negative qualities so no one is a "good guy" or a "bad guy" - all are trying to make sense of the world and deal with their prejudices in one way or another. Racism is not simple; it runs deeply in our society and this is the first film I've seen that doesn't shy away from showing us how complex and deeply human the issue is.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Briliiant, Bold, Brutal, Best-Picture Winner

This is a very good movie to watch. It powerfully deals with racism and the consequences of hate and discrimination. The preformances are fantastic and the story is great. Prents: althoguh you should let your kid watch this movie that teaches a good lesson about the negative consequences of racism it is quite dark, violnet, an, at times, sexual. A racist cop explictitly but non-graphically sexually assaults a woman of different race. There are many, many sotuations involving racial differences, moslty ending in harsh language, violence, or a sexual act. But parents, like I said, this is a good movie for your kids to watch in order to learn not to discriminate against others unlike yourself. Plus, the movie leaves you with a sense of hope, tranquility, and, overall, gentle resolution. Brilliant; bold; brutal.
Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008
Adult Written byE-Ro April 9, 2008

Finally America!

It it excellent and it's about time that all can see how things really are, and it gives opportunity for discussion.
Parent Written bywestcoastbohemian June 23, 2012

Finally - a film that is actually *about* something

I have honestly never seen anything like this. This is not a feel-good movie in any way; it's raw and unsettling. It stuck with me long after the film was over. What is most significant about this film, I thinkk, is that is asks really hard questions, and gives no answers - you are left to consider the answers yourself. I recommend this for older teens and all adults.
Adult Written byteacher182 October 10, 2010

The message trumps the rest

I think the message this movie embodies is definitely one that is present in our country and one that is ideal for discussing with your children.
Adult Written bybporter28 April 20, 2009
Adult Written bymoviestar April 9, 2008

Its necessary...

hits on a lot of good issues that you need to talk about with your kids. There might be some violence, bad language, etc. but at least its presented in a way that makes you question the context, reasons, etc.
Adult Written bydaystar58 April 9, 2008

For what it's worth, I think that it's a good movie for teenagers...

I watched Crash twice, once by myself (my husband was in Iraq) and once with him before allowing my children, 12 and 15, to view it. It is, without a doubt, one of the most intelligently made movies on racism ever. Great ensenble cast and the situations are so unbelievably nuanced and well-scripted. Yes, the language is a little raw but my kids hear the same stuff in school every day. There is one sex scene but it's very tastefully handled; actually, no sexual body parts are displayed at all, a rarity in modern film making ;-) When it was over, I bet we spent an hour going over the situations that were presented, talking about what the characters' motivations were and how they could have handled the situations better. When Matt Dillon confronts the HMO administrator, why does she react the way she does? Well, maybe because he insulted her over the phone the night before. Sandra Bullock's character was a great study in the typical suburban housewife who undergoes a change of heart. Your heart breaks for Don Cheadle, a cop with a drug-addicted mother and a carjacking brother. Both characters are portrayed sympathetically and there is no stereotyping, another rarity... This is a GREAT movie and it deserves to be seen by everyone who is concerned about the direction of our society. Like me, you may want to view it first to determine your tolerance for the language used. Another reason to watch it first is because there is so much content there. You need to see it without interruption so you can wrap your head around the complex moral and ethical situations presented. There is no portrayed violence whatsoever. The one scene where there is a shooting occurs inside a car and you see it happening from the outside. The other thing that I found really unusual was the score of the movie. Instead of the heavy metal, hip-hop or rock and roll music that you would expect, there is a beautiful, Enya-like score laid over the really emotionally intense scenes. My daughter asked me to check and see if it was available on CD, it was that good. I almost gave it an On rating but know that would be stretching my credibility. However, I felt that the positives of this movie far-outweighed the negatives and give children so much more food for thought than the typical dreck that Hollywood keeps shovelling in their direction. We've pretty much stopped going to the movies because it's such a wasteland out there that I don't feel like gambling $40-50 on an evening of pseudo-entertainment anymore.
Adult Written byus5boers April 9, 2008
Adult Written byTheGoodParent April 9, 2008

A good lesson to teach children

This movie has a good lesson to teach, thus it should be shown to children who are mature enough to handle it's material. It is sad and contains adult material, but in the end it is through context that shows chidlren what is right and what is wrong.
Adult Written byforce23 April 9, 2008

Very Intense and very very good

One thing I liked about this movie is you were never really sure where it was going. Good guys, became bad, bad became good. The acting was superb by all and there was no slow spots. You must pay attention during this movie as too much goes on that you'll miss. It will leave you guessing right up until the end. The language and subject matter are strong, and not for kids, but this movie is one not to miss.
Adult Written byjowriggley April 9, 2008