Parent reviews for Crazy Rich Asians

Messages, role models stand out in culture-clash romcom.

Adult Written bysmiles33 August 18, 2018

Frothy, funny, romantic comedy suitable for mature tweens

We brought my 9 and 12 year old daughters to see this fantastic movie. Since I read all 3 novels and another friend had seen the movie in a special preview, I knew what was involved. Thus I had warned both girls that there would be inappropriate language and sexually suggestive scenes (shirtless men in a few scenes, the main male character, Nick, kissing Rachel while both are in bed, etc.). They've heard worse language (e.g., I don't think the F word was used in Crazy Rich Asians) as they've watched all the Marvel movies and watched reality cooking shows. They've also seen more sexually suggestive content on network TV. Both girls loved the movie! We found it funny, endearing, and charming. Plus, I wanted my daughters to see Asians on the big screen speaking in English who are not the laughing stock of the room, the nerdy tech guy, or the main characters' nice friend. Instead, my Chinese American girls can see people who look like them in a wide range of crazy situations! In particular, I think Rachel Chu is a strong, independent heroine who is a good role model. I highly recommend this movie to others, especially those of Asian descent. It was such a fun movie but even more poignant to me because of our shared heritage.

Parent of a 5, 14, and 14 year old Written byMaggieTT August 20, 2018

LOVED it, witha few caveats for parents

There are interactions that may make this movie not suitable for many younger kids. Examples are: unmarried couple sleeping together, with camera cutting away before they have sex. A woman's friend's father commenting on her body shape and later, suggesting repeatedly that she try on a revealing dress. A man comments insultingly on a woman having "small tits" (I think that was the wording). A malicious prank involves the words "gold digging bitch" (I think) being written on the wall in a hotel room. This makes the movie sound way more risqué and nasty than it really is -- most of the movie is super sweet and about important topics like honesty and standing up for yourself and valuing people for who they are and how they treat others. But there are definitely aspects of it that would cause me to hesitate before taking a child under the age of 10 to see this movie. My teens, no problem.
Parent Written byDan G. August 19, 2018

Quite a lot of sexually inappropriate material and some bad langauge for a family movie

Pre-marital sexual relations are strongly suggested as well as quite a bit of sexually themed humor. As typical of many PG-13 movies, there is language that would warrant school discipline if your children decided to emulate it at school. As far as the movie goes, it was way too predictable, a "Cinderella captures Prince Charming" regular type of tale.

Adult Written bylcp September 13, 2018

Not appropriate content for children under 18 or singles

This movie was spot on as a portrait of the issues regarding Asian cultural identity, the tug of tradition versus modernity. As an Asian American, I thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the movie. However, as a believer and mum, I thought the sexual mores portrayed were inappropriate material for children under 18. That said, most of what you see on TV these days are like that. So, after the damage was done, I sat down with the under 18s in the family to let them know that there are certain parts of the movie that do not align with our values: 1. "Honeymoon suite" scenes of lead couple BEFORE honeymoon. They are not married, and scenario was presented as standard behavior for dating singles. 2. Excessive kissing and fondling of non-married couples not in the lead. 3. A gay character to normalize that lifestyle. It was an enjoyable movie for the sake of variety, as the content and casting are unique. It also sparked good conversation regarding cultural identity with my children. However, I maintained that they should not buy into the hype that this film validates them. A movie about people who look like you DOES NOT validate you. You are precious regardless of whether there is ever any movie about your experience, period.

Adult Written byReeelmein1984 August 23, 2018

12+

the Kids loved it

Adult Written byMICHAEL C August 20, 2018
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byMegan M. September 7, 2018

Amazing, awesome, perfect movie.

I saw this in theaters with my 11 year old and my 14 year old. Great movie. Yes there is sex and language but it’s mostly positive messages and positive role models. It also has positive gender representations, which is great! And the characters are Asian, which is pretty rare: not a lot of movies have Asian characters. Highly recommend. And also they didn’t say the f word. Very phenomenal movie!

Adult Written byPangyang August 19, 2018

Adult Written bystilly5 September 5, 2018

Relevant, yet grounded and thought-provoking

This movie will keep kids entertained with a lot of relevant content but I also think it has a ton of great messages about being true to who you are. It is also interesting to think about cultural and generational influences, and how they relate to the storyline. I felt like this is a movie that my kids would want to see because it is very glamorous and entertaining, but also had some depth.

Adult Written bythemovieslover September 5, 2018

Best movie from 2018!

This is by far the best movie of 2018. As an Asian myself, I was very pleased. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and it is a great movie overall. There is a big chunk of language involved, and lots of sexual kissing, but it's nothing other than about 3 seconds. However, despite a lot of iffy stuff, Crazy Rich Asians is mostly lighthearted, family friendly, joyful movie. Is okay for 12 and up.

Adult Written byGracie1979 September 8, 2018

Very Funny & Loving yourself is a must!!

Whether you are Asian or not, please go see this movie. Everyone will learn a thing or two from this movie. I have seen it twice, with my mom then with my sister. The best part was my mom said "I can't believe I am Eleanor and I'm not even rich like her"!!! LOL!! It has been three weeks now since I saw the movie w/ my mom.. and I have to say this I have more freedom and ever!! Thanks everyone who have made this movie.

Adult Written byMuffin68 September 19, 2018

Adult Written byalleongvbc September 15, 2018

Surprised by Talent, Story, Sex-appeal and Heart

it's a healthy, emotional movie that makes you think, educates you (and your family) about values, consideration, stigma, sexuality, and it does so with humour. Not to me missed.

Adult Written byAH1071119 October 12, 2018

Such a great movie!!

I loved this movie and think that people 11 and up should be able to watch it!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byMartha's Reviews November 8, 2018

"Crazy Rich Asians" is an overrated glitzy mess of a movie.

Everyone's been going on for what seemed to feel like forever about this film, so we had to see what all the hype was about. Many reviewers (CSM included) have given this film an astounding 5 star rating, and Rotten Tomatoes have given it an advocate score of 92%, so it had to be excellent - Unfortunately it was not at all what I was expecting, because it actually seemed more like a Disney Channel Original Movie or Nickelodeon TV Special than a teen-geared romcom! I can honestly say that by looking at the trailer I was definitely getting some "Joy Luck Club" vibes in both senses that it was an all Asian cast and the style of the shooting. What we actually got was a totally Disney Channel Film from the clunky, cheesy script, the wooden and some of the time laughable and cringe-worthy acting, I can even say the music in the background sounded Disney-esque (my daughter and husband too agreed on that note!). Moving onto the actual cast performances, I have to say that Henry Golding very much disappointed me because he completely lacked his usual charm and general sort of nice feel about him. I can say that Constance Wu on the other hand was good, she portrayed the character really well and did very much seem to fit the character from her general looks to her personality, but she and Golding lacked any sort of chemistry which honestly made it harder to watch. The rapper, Awkwafina ("Ocean's 8") also delivered a funny, zesty performance, though I can say that there were moments where she seemed to be a bit too much in my opinion. Everyone else were honestly completely forgettable in the sense it seemed as though they had just been thrown in a blender and chucked onto the set, I mean what I say here, and I can't really say any more except I was really disappointed. We were expecting a new classic, but instead we got a Daytime TV Special For Young Girls. Please take note that this is just my personal opinion here, but if I could actually rate it out of 10, I would give it a 2.5/10. I guess that's all I have to say, thank you for reading my review.
Adult Written byCaroline L November 17, 2018

Embarrassing cliched garbage

I can’t understand why this has earned any decent ratings. It a full on cliche of story and dialogue. In 2018 we don’t need another trope-filled Cinderella story such as this. All the characters were shallow, not developed and mostly played by gorgeous model-like actors, plus a stereotypical campy gay man, a gaudy new money rich family juxtaposed with an extravagant old money family. Women are depicted as snobby gossipy and shallow, men are cheaters or money obsessed. There’s a debauched bachelor party full of bikini clad women as sex objects. The male lead is somehow down to earth and sweet despite the extreme wealth and elitist upbringing and schooling. The female lead is Cinderella, who despite being a smart professor at NYU is somehow too sheltered to know her boyfriend owns half of Asia. Script is terrible, the acting is average (due to bad directing) and the entire film is embarrassingly cliched. What a waste.

Adult Written byAstroFantastic November 20, 2018