Parent reviews for Crazy Rich Asians

Messages, role models stand out in culture-clash romcom.

Adult Written bysmiles33 August 18, 2018

Frothy, funny, romantic comedy suitable for mature tweens

We brought my 9 and 12 year old daughters to see this fantastic movie. Since I read all 3 novels and another friend had seen the movie in a special preview, I knew what was involved. Thus I had warned both girls that there would be inappropriate language and sexually suggestive scenes (shirtless men in a few scenes, the main male character, Nick, kissing Rachel while both are in bed, etc.). They've heard worse language (e.g., I don't think the F word was used in Crazy Rich Asians) as they've watched all the Marvel movies and watched reality cooking shows. They've also seen more sexually suggestive content on network TV. Both girls loved the movie! We found it funny, endearing, and charming. Plus, I wanted my daughters to see Asians on the big screen speaking in English who are not the laughing stock of the room, the nerdy tech guy, or the main characters' nice friend. Instead, my Chinese American girls can see people who look like them in a wide range of crazy situations! In particular, I think Rachel Chu is a strong, independent heroine who is a good role model. I highly recommend this movie to others, especially those of Asian descent. It was such a fun movie but even more poignant to me because of our shared heritage.

Parent Written byDan G. August 19, 2018

Quite a lot of sexually inappropriate material and some bad langauge for a family movie

Pre-marital sexual relations are strongly suggested as well as quite a bit of sexually themed humor. As typical of many PG-13 movies, there is language that would warrant school discipline if your children decided to emulate it at school. As far as the movie goes, it was way too predictable, a "Cinderella captures Prince Charming" regular type of tale.

Parent of a 5, 14, and 14 year old Written byMaggieTT August 20, 2018

LOVED it, witha few caveats for parents

There are interactions that may make this movie not suitable for many younger kids. Examples are: unmarried couple sleeping together, with camera cutting away before they have sex. A woman's friend's father commenting on her body shape and later, suggesting repeatedly that she try on a revealing dress. A man comments insultingly on a woman having "small tits" (I think that was the wording). A malicious prank involves the words "gold digging bitch" (I think) being written on the wall in a hotel room. This makes the movie sound way more risqué and nasty than it really is -- most of the movie is super sweet and about important topics like honesty and standing up for yourself and valuing people for who they are and how they treat others. But there are definitely aspects of it that would cause me to hesitate before taking a child under the age of 10 to see this movie. My teens, no problem.
Adult Written byReeelmein1984 August 23, 2018

12+

the Kids loved it

Adult Written byMICHAEL C August 20, 2018
Adult Written byPangyang August 19, 2018

Adult Written bylcp September 13, 2018

Not appropriate content for children under 18 or singles

This movie was spot on as a portrait of the issues regarding Asian cultural identity, the tug of tradition versus modernity. As an Asian American, I thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the movie. However, as a believer and mum, I thought the sexual mores portrayed were inappropriate material for children under 18. That said, most of what you see on TV these days are like that. So, after the damage was done, I sat down with the under 18s in the family to let them know that there are certain parts of the movie that do not align with our values: 1. "Honeymoon suite" scenes of lead couple BEFORE honeymoon. They are not married, and scenario was presented as standard behavior for dating singles. 2. Excessive kissing and fondling of non-married couples not in the lead. 3. A gay character to normalize that lifestyle. It was an enjoyable movie for the sake of variety, as the content and casting are unique. It also sparked good conversation regarding cultural identity with my children. However, I maintained that they should not buy into the hype that this film validates them. A movie about people who look like you DOES NOT validate you. You are precious regardless of whether there is ever any movie about your experience, period.

Adult Written byGracie1979 September 8, 2018

Very Funny & Loving yourself is a must!!

Whether you are Asian or not, please go see this movie. Everyone will learn a thing or two from this movie. I have seen it twice, with my mom then with my sister. The best part was my mom said "I can't believe I am Eleanor and I'm not even rich like her"!!! LOL!! It has been three weeks now since I saw the movie w/ my mom.. and I have to say this I have more freedom and ever!! Thanks everyone who have made this movie.

Adult Written bystilly5 September 5, 2018

Relevant, yet grounded and thought-provoking

This movie will keep kids entertained with a lot of relevant content but I also think it has a ton of great messages about being true to who you are. It is also interesting to think about cultural and generational influences, and how they relate to the storyline. I felt like this is a movie that my kids would want to see because it is very glamorous and entertaining, but also had some depth.

Adult Written bythemovieslover September 5, 2018

Best movie from 2018!

This is by far the best movie of 2018. As an Asian myself, I was very pleased. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and it is a great movie overall. There is a big chunk of language involved, and lots of sexual kissing, but it's nothing other than about 3 seconds. However, despite a lot of iffy stuff, Crazy Rich Asians is mostly lighthearted, family friendly, joyful movie. Is okay for 12 and up.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byMegan M. September 7, 2018

Amazing, awesome, perfect movie.

I saw this in theaters with my 11 year old and my 14 year old. Great movie. Yes there is sex and language but it’s mostly positive messages and positive role models. It also has positive gender representations, which is great! And the characters are Asian, which is pretty rare: not a lot of movies have Asian characters. Highly recommend. And also they didn’t say the f word. Very phenomenal movie!

Adult Written byMuffin68 September 19, 2018

Adult Written byalleongvbc September 15, 2018

Surprised by Talent, Story, Sex-appeal and Heart

it's a healthy, emotional movie that makes you think, educates you (and your family) about values, consideration, stigma, sexuality, and it does so with humour. Not to me missed.