All teen and kid member reviews for Crimson Tide

Teen, 14 years old Written bysasuke the awsome April 10, 2013

Now, get off my bridge capt'n.

Okay... Well, first of all, this is an aptly named movie. The seas really do run red in Tony Scott's underwater masterpiece. This movie doesn't have any sort of widespread carnage or devastation like some movies, nor the battle scenes of the Pirates movies which (just like this film) Bruckheimer produced, though he also directed. What it does have however is something much more realistic and brutal. It has the constant thread of impending nuclear destruction which could wipe the world of mankind. I agree with Commonsensemedia when they say that many kids this day won't really be able to connect with that. I mean, sure, there's always that lingering threat that someone might do something but nothing like the terror of 1962 with the Cuban Missile Crisis and then the movie basis of the 1980's. And I suppose that's a tad hypocritical because of course, I wasn't alive then either. It still feels a bit relatable to me, not exactly sure why, maybe just 'cause I've studied that time period though I can't really know what it felt like. Anywho, this movie has that and it also has some intense confrontation scenes and one particular part which shocked me with it's intensity. I'd hate to spoil it for anyone but for those who have seen the movie, it's the "hatch-closing or opening" scene. And of course there is other violence but that's the main content. And yes they do swear just (in the words of this website) "like the sailors they are". Yes, alcohol is consumed but please don't make this the deciding factor whether to see this film or to let your kids see it. It's an incredible film and definitely one of my favorite movies ever. It's a film that will have you riveted to the screen, waiting for that moment where the fate of the world is decided. All it takes is the turn of a key. "Capt. Ramsey: Short of the outbreak of World War Three, the ship sinking... being attacked by a giant octopus, I'd like to be undisturbed for the next thirty minutes. Hunter: I'll see to it sir."
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 31, 2012

Lot's of tension and special effects in taut 90's thriller

Tony Scott's 1995 box office summer blockbuster is best known for it's tense confrontations between acting heavyweights Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, and I think that this is rightfully so. Now, aside from the stellar acting and cast, Crimson Tide also has strong production values, special effects and some almost gaggingly intense and breathtaking action sequences which still leaves viewers on the edge of there seat to this day, but, what Crimson Tide does the best is with the tense mutiny aboard a submarine that is hired to take care of a nuclear threat, and that the apparently crazed captain (Gene Hackman), is attempting to launch them out into the world, which of course, isn't good. So, it is up to co-commanding officer Denzel Washington to stop him, and, if that means starting a ship-wide mutiny in the progress, than so beat it. Now, the weakest element of the Crimson Tide, though, would of course be the story. Sure, the nuclear threat is all very real and effective, but the real substance in this movie is watching Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman go at it and square off against each other, which really creates a viable thriller for the decade of the 1990's. Now, even though the film is Rated R, it isn't nearly as offensive as most R Rated movies are these days, but, alas, here we go: There is frequent but fairly tame action sequences, including the submarine being submerged in water, and the threat of mass drowning aboard the ship, mutiny and some seriously intense arguments between the main leads. And, finally, there is frequent strong profanity throughout the movie, which is the main reason why the movie was Rated R in the first place; with many uses each of f--k, sh-t, a--h-le, g-dd-mn, d-mn, h-ll and b-llsh-t. So, even though the film hasn't aged as well as it could, Crimson Tide is still just as effective as it was when it first originally came out into theaters of the summer of 1995.