Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dark Shadows

Mixed-up Depp/Burton vampire comedy has blood, innuendo.

Adult Written byfemalefilmlover May 11, 2012

Not for kids

Definatley not for kids took my 10 year old daughter and she really does not need to know at 10 about BJ's or rampant sexual contact

Adult Written bysusan whitestene May 12, 2012

DARK SHADOWS

i think it is ok i think if you can see twilight and you can see harry potter and the deathly hallows part one you can see this but there is some passinote kissing but i think it is fine for 11/12 and up but these reviews areon the top are not true because it just came out last night and they are just trusting the people who rated it and remember it is a comedy not a horror

Adult Written byFamlee First May 11, 2012

A Depp Disappointment

I'm one of Johnny Depp's biggest fans but this movie was a disappointment from start to finish. Very slow and a hodgepodge of violence, sex, tired 70's spoofs, sexual innuendo, blood, drugs and more violence. Burton couldn't seem to decide whether to go for comedy or a Twilight Wannabe. I wanted to leave but kept hoping Depp would pull it together...but not this time! DON'T TAKE THE KIDS!!!

Adult Written byShadesOfRemorse June 15, 2012

Okay.

Adult Written byhattiebee May 14, 2012

way too adult for kids

Took my 11 year old son and it was way too sexual and violent: mass murder scene, people jumping off cliffs and smashing on rocks below, off camera bj's, and lots of men mounting women.

Adult Written byMusicRock668 May 23, 2012

wate of money

Adult Written bybisully July 9, 2012

Dark and disturbing.

This was a dark, disturbing movie. Not funny at all. Graphic depictions of murder and sex, though the main act may have happened just off screen. Don't take the kids. And don't go yourself either. I wish that I would have researched more before seeing this movie. I deeply regret seeing it.

Adult Written byIamfine June 10, 2012

Dark Shadows - rating not age appropriate

Parents whose children are Johnny Depp fans should give it a miss. I took my two aged 9 and 12 as they are big fans and there were some pretty uncomfortable moments. One was the suggested sex scene after Eva Green pulled her dress off and asked if JD still wanted her, some of the language and the 'patient confidentiality' moment. In places it was quite good, but really not worth the effort unless you are a die hard fan. Sorry, I wanted to like it as Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Helena BC are normally good together.
Adult Written byFrankinf May 28, 2012

great!

it is scary funny and has some segative language and sexual jokes

Adult Written byLSU Mom May 13, 2012

Had I Only Known!

We went to see this last night; my husband, myself and our 13-year-old (he'll be fourteen in one month). Not having watched the original series in the 70s (I had only heard the name), maybe I should have further researched the series itself rather than just reading the Common Sense preliminary "scoop." I was not expecting a bordering-R rated soap opera with more than just campy sex scenes -- rather, scenes with subtle references to S & M and just-off camera depictions of oral sex. There are too-frequent-to-count references to the occult; multiple murders, arson, and drug use. I think this movie is being billed as moderate, benign fare when in fact it isn't suitable for any child. This is my first review on this site, and I am writing it in the spirit of truthfully informing parents.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byProfessor Rebecca May 21, 2012

Too much for kids - better left to an older audience.

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are known for dark movies. This one is different, in a few ways. The sexual content is really overdone for young people. The sexually charged environment is not limited to the adults in the movie; the 15 year old daughter is entirely too sexual as well. Can you say 'bloody'? Yuck - of course, I suppose vampire movies are known for the blood, but it is too gross for kids. The drunk doctor is iffy at best - her worst quality is shown when she demonstrates to the vampire what 'client-patient privilege is'. Be warned - this movie is indeed "DARK" and better left to an older audience.

Adult Written bytheatregirl510 May 14, 2012

Way too sexually focused

I have to say this was a very disappointing movie. I have been a Burton/Depp fan for many years and this just shocked me. It was way too raunchy for half the kids I saw coming into the movie and it had so much sexual connotation and sexual innuendo that it actually made me uncomfortable (which is saying a lot). I do not recommend taking a kid under the age of 13 or 14 to see this, way too much sex and drugs.

Adult Written byteacher123 May 12, 2012

Barnabas, a sinner like us.

While there is a lot of drinking, drug use and sexual innuendo, the main character is searching for his true love. While he fumbles through the advances of other women and succumbs to their temptation, like many men do, he re-aligns himself and returns to seek out his new love. Since he is a vampire, there is no chance for resurrection into heaven and by all accounts, he admits that he is a sinner. Yet he tries to do the right thing after each transgression. As a blood thirsty vampire, it's hard not to kill your meal. This is not a movie to teach the beatitudes. It is however an interesting connundrum of worldly pleasure versus doing the right thing that he was taught as a boy. I think many men who have left home and attended college will appreciate the moral issues that Barnabas tries to deal with.

Adult Written byPCDberry June 18, 2015

DARK SHADOWS should be rated R

This film is rated PG-13 for violence and sexual content but it should be rated R for violence because during the film a teen girl shoots someone with a shotgun lots of blood a vampire bites many people's necks with gory results a vampire gets tortured by being put in a coffin and people putting hot metal on him then putting dirt on the coffin while he's still alive very disturbing people are stabbed, tortured, bit, killed, shot, someone accidentally falls of a cliff to her death there is also sex 2 vampires have sex but it's very funny where they fly on walls tumbling onto each other as she moans and then on the couch there is also strong sexual innuendo involving teens

Adult Written byedendehaven October 23, 2014

watch it

Great!! Movie loved it if a kid was to watch it I'd say they need a parent to watch it with them Somme sexual seans but no nakedness it's nothing to bad
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybobsax December 25, 2012

Sex Drugs Rock and Roll and BLOOD !!

Really funny and clever but be prepared to talk about marijuana use. It's a good way to explain the 60's to an adolescent.

Adult Written bywood12piper October 29, 2012

and people liked this?

I want what felt like 5 hours back! what a dissapointment! Disjointed, ridiculous mess of a movie. Started out with interesting characters but derailed shortly thereafter, to the point I didn't care what happened and just wanted it to end.

Parent Written byImjustsaying May 16, 2012

too sexy for under 16

Too sexy for anyone under 16 at least.

Adult Written byNeversideFaerie July 14, 2017

Was this supposed to be a comedy or a stereotypical vampire film?

If it was supposed to be a spoof, it wasn't very funny, and if it was supposed to be serious, I couldn't take it very seriously. The plot wasn't all that great but I would have thought the film was OK if it hadn't been for the fact I couldn't tell which side Barnabas was on. One minute he was trying to be the hero, the next he was killing innocent people. It made it pretty difficult to root for him! I also disliked that (spoiler alert!) he had casual sex with two women he ended up killing later. The only likeable character in the film was Victoria and Barnabas' behaviour doesn't leave you feeling like he deserves her - or vice versa! This was a chore to watch and I don’t recommend it for young viewers - it has too many mixed messages and no good morals.

Adult Written byparent and teacher July 6, 2012

teacher and parenmt

Johnny Depp is in it! what do you think? Johnny Depp is in shows for kids not for Adults. It is fine for kids. it is kind of like a mystery so it is good for kids to watch.