Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dazed and Confused

Edgy coming-of-age tale has underage drinking and drug use.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byellcar_fairjudge March 15, 2011

Not a "stoner comedy"; It's an accurate character study for the '70s

Dazed & Confused is an excellent character study to show viewers about how high school may have been in a small town in the mid-70's. Students watching the movie can see the similarities and differences to their own school and friends. *Possible Spoiler Alert* Some scenes do depict excessive hazing of the soon-to-be new freshmen. And most importantly shows kids that teasing is not the end of the world. It does NOT cause long-term "trauma". As was in the film, hazing can be overcome not by violence, but by positive social means, such as afterward building a friendship between the parties involved (paraphrased quote from the film: "It'd be cool to show them it doesnt bother you that much"). A minor concern would be drug use the under-age drinking. It should be explained that experimentation is a part of life, and most people who do are not adversly affected in any major way (though the possibility of unfavorable short- and long-term effects should be discussed ). Another issue may be that, as a character study that takes place during a time outside of their own, younger viewers(10-14) may get bored or not follow the purpose of some of the scenes and activities that take place throughout the film.

Parent Written byPlague September 3, 2010

Dazed and Confused

This funny classic is great for teens.
Adult Written byDan F. November 3, 2016

The kids in this movie are not close to the bad kids in 2016.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 October 24, 2014

Alright, alright, alright!

This movie is the cinematic equivalent of a good time! Of course it's notable for A-listers Affleck and McConaughey showing up in supporting roles, Affleck as the senior jerk flunky and McConaughey as stoned, laconic Wooderson. But the movie, in my opinion, demystifies the high school myth: these guys have no idea what they're doing after their reign as kings of high school...they're all the same! The incoming freshman, Wiley Wiggins, is introduced to this debauchery, and even though it summons nostalgia, especially for those earlier decades, I have to say this movie makes me kind of glad I'm out of high school. You gotta grow up some time! This is when Linklater first dazed us, and I'm so glad he's been making movie magic ever since.

Adult Written bykipwalker44 June 2, 2015

Adult Written bysimpleseth July 21, 2013

Plotless Movie That Has No Clue At What It Wants To Be

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy stoner comedies and coming-of-age films. Unfortunately, Richard Linklater decided to make a movie with zero story and character development. This film is overrated and has no redeeming qualities. I watched this movie all the way through on at least three occasions and found it to be completely boring. All the characters are stereotypes and there is so much drug use, without any purpose. I'll pass but if you wish to see it, knock yourself out!

Adult Written by915071 April 25, 2013
Adult Written bysmoketrix April 9, 2008

One of my favorite movies! got to see it!

If your into the 70's type of movies, then you will love this movie. Great for kids above 14 i would say. A lot of drugs and drinks go around but a wonderful movie.