All teen and kid member reviews for District 9

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

WARNING: THE REVIEW DOES NOT EXPRESS VERY WELL HOW GROSS AND SICK THIS MOVIE CAN BE

I'm a pretty mature 15-year-old and I thought it'd be ok for me to watch this movie before. I finally convinced my parents to let me see this "R" movie. Before I watched the movie, I did check this review and thought the movie would be ok. I was thinking that the language was nothing I didn't hear all the time in school and that violence was nothing. They also said there was just little sexual discussion... Unfortunately, however, this is all wrong. First of all, I do hear cuss words all day long at school, but it is just dispicable how many times they use the f word in the movie... The editor must have put the f word in every possible space he could in the script because it is used to describe everything... And after a while, THE EXTREMELY CONSTANT F WORDS BECOME VERY ANNOYING. Secondly, the violence wasnt just regular explosions and shooting... People literally exploded and parts of their skin would fly on the camera or on the ground. Also, THE PARTS SHOWING DEAD ALIENS BEING DISECTED WAS NOT ONLY GRAPHIC BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! It even shows a scientist stretching out the bleeding, oozing skin while it rips apart. And finally, the last point I will touch upon is the sexual references... IT IS NOT JUST DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL CONTENT... BUT ALSO NASTY DISCUSSION OF HUMANS' SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH ALIENS. And this appears several times in the story with lines such as "How'd you do it?" and "Did you have to wear a condom?". Ew, I mean that is EXTREMELY SICK AND TWISTED. So basically, this movie is not appropriate at all for teenagers, but for the older ones and adults... use caution. I personally would not recommend it for anyone due to the absolutely sick and graphic references. As a totally different note, it is a good, thought-provoking movie. I just do not think it is worth it....
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 May 21, 2014

Awesome.

I am a BIG fan of sic-if action thrillers, and this movie is by FAR the best sci if move EVER. The plot is genius, and the effects are amazing. Two things to worry about? The violence and gore, and the language. The movie says the f word every two seconds, and there are discussions about sexual retaliations between humans and aliens, and people making jokes like "did you wear a condom?" There is A LOT of violence, including firefights, aliens tearing limbs off, and weapons that explode full human beings. Almost all scenes have scenes with significant amounts of blood, which include experiments, surgeries, wounds, missing limbs, and guns that cause people too explode with blood, and skin. Overall, great movie, good for mature twelve year olds who can handle blood and ogre, and many dead things.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic September 9, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

Very violent. but other than that two words:FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 16, 2009

Amazing

This film was amazing. The action scenes were fantastic, but only second to the great story. I can't describe it in words. Go see this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byL3HNZ August 18, 2009
Lots of F bombs and bloody violence, just as the MPAA states.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySturmgewehrz June 27, 2011

Assumptions

I watched this movie with my mom after she screened it, and I wondered, "Why the heck are you letting me watch this but you won't even screen Halo Reach for me?"
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

District 9

Although very non child friendly, District 9 is an amazing film full of action, suspense, and great acting. Again not good for kids but will definetly get someones attention.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycsm back at it agian July 26, 2016

very good but csm rated it WAY TO HIGH

17 and up seriously it is beautiful whell writen and undoutobly a masterpice neil bloomkamps best movie.Lots of f bombs and some violence includes tourtre but otherwise. Fine for 13+ Some sequens are slightly disturbing for sensitive vewiers expecially how ailens are treated.But it is a thrilling suspensful realistic thriller that proves to be truly beautiful.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybiovox14 May 9, 2016

Thought it would be a decent sci-fi movie and it turned out to be crap

Way to much cussing for one thing. I never thought f**k could be used so much in one movie. The blood, violence and gore was a bit much but not horrible because its aliens. Doesn't make you think and was pretty stupid. Not worth watching either way.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDillpickle37 April 25, 2016

District 9

District 9 is the debut film of South African director Neill Blomkamp, and what a remarkable debut it is. This intelligent sci-fi stunner is packed to the brim with incredible action sequences, top-quality acting, thought-provoking social commentary, and excellent cinematography. In an alternate version of the 1980's, an alien space ship carrying over a million malnourished aliens comes to a stop over the city of Johannesburg. Derogatorily referred to as Prawns, the aliens are segregated from normal human society and forced to reside in a slum known as District 9. The film follows the character of Wikus van de Merwe, a bumbling bureaucrat who is heading up the forced relocation of the Prawns to a new residence. Wikus begins to form a bond with one of the Prawns when a mysterious alien fluid begins transforming him into one of them. From the outset, District 9 presents a viewing experience unlike any other. Initially, the film is presented in a documentary style, which perfectly sets up the background of the film and establishes the main characters. Slowly the film transitions into a more traditional style as it follows Wikus, who is forced to flee from government forces who hope to make him into a medical experiment. Regardless of the film's style, every shot is perfectly placed, every frame meticulously planned out in order to achieve the perfect visual presentation. In addition to the film's gorgeous cinematography, it boasts top notch visual effects, making full use of both practical effects and CGI. Everything alien in the film is convincingly realistic, from the Prawns themselves to the space ship that hovers ominously over the city. The film also boasts a perfectly composed soundtrack, comprising of everything from a pulse pounding, drum heavy score for action sequences to a traditionally inspired track that perfectly underscores the film's gorgeous establishing shots. In addition, every member of the cast gives a convincing performance, but special credit must go to Sharlto Copley, who turns in an amazing performance as the film's leading man. The film's action sequences are also notable for their gritty realism and high tension. Like any good film, District 9 also has a good antagonist, in this case the sadistic Koobus Venter. He is cruel and merciless and gives the distinct impression of a man who cares little for any form of life, be it human or alien. The script is smartly written and the plot is very intelligent, commenting on such issues as racism, the fear of that which we don't know, and humanity's treatment of others. All of these factors come together to create a science fiction thriller that is both intelligent and action packed, and is easily the best English-language film to be released since the year 2000, not to mention earning itself a spot on both my lists of favorite sci-fi and favorite action films, an achievement matched only by one other film (The Terminator, in case you're wondering). In short, if you haven't seen District 9, go rent it and watch it right now.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstroPhysics January 11, 2016

really great

Gosh, I love this movie so much. It is one of my favorites (along with The Right Stuff, Alien, and The Terminator). It is very suspenseful. Though done as if it is a documentary, it is actually very good. You will get caught up in the action. In the beginning you want MMU to win, but then at the end, your full of sympathy for the cockroach-like aliens, and want the dad to get out with his baby. Also, you begin the sympathize with the main character, an 'unlikely hero.' It is an allegory for Nazi Germany. This movie is perfect, and has a perfect plot, setting, characters, lines, and suspense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAstronautSpace October 10, 2015

This movie is so amazing

I love this movie so much! It is all about this spaceship that hovers over a city in Africa and the aliens have been brought down to Earth. The aliens kind of look like cockroaches, there are exploding people and aliens, and a lot of blood and gore. The protagonist is gruesomely transformed in a very disgusting fashion. It is very suspenseful and interesting. You should not watch it if you are squeamish, because there are plenty of very disgusting scenes. But if you want one of the best movies ever (along with The Terminator, The Right Stuff, and Alien), than you should totally watch it. It is very scary, but I watched it at 12 and was not scared, so it really depends on the kid because none of my friends are aloud to watch it and I know some adults who wouldn't want to.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 September 9, 2015

Oh yeah

This is one of the best movies that I have ever seen and trust me I've seen a lot of good movies. This is the best sci-fi movie period, Sharlto Copley is a great actor and really knows what he is doing. The visuals are amazing and the the movie gets very emotional at times. The movie is very gory, the alien laser guns blow people to bit, you see brains and blood splatter all over the camera and walls. There are over 80 uses of the f word but this movie is not for kids really, if kids do not like gore or if your kids don't need to here strong language I suggest you keep them away from this film. But adults and teens must watch this amazing masterpiece by Niell Blomkamp and the amazing Peter Jackson.
Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2015

One of my top four movies

This movie was one of the best I have ever seen. It is one of my four favorite movies (Alien, District 9, Edge of Tomorrow, The Right Stuff)! It does get a little violent, gory, and some sexual references are made, so little kids should definitely not watch it. Also, there is a ton of violence and stuff. My favorite scene is when a pig is thrown in the heat of the battle!
Kid, 8 years old June 18, 2015

Fantastic, fun, exciting thriller has excellent sci-fi action but extremely bloody.

This movie fallows Kobus a young man who lives in Johannesburg but a alien ship arrives over Johannesburg. Now the humans make them live in a ugly poor neighborhood called District 9, but the aliens start fighting the humans because their treating them meanly, differently, and poorly. In the mean time Kobus gets sprayed but alien goo and then realizes that the goo makes him turn into a alien. The violence is this movie is extremely graphic and very gory, aliens kill humans in many different ways humans die by getting stabbed, shot, blasted to bits, and murdered by axes, Kobus also cuts his fingers, and arms to so he can get is alien body parts off. There is constant swearing. Otherwise this movie is fun, entertaining, awesome, fantastic, and enjoyable. Heres my age rating, off 2-14, iffy 14-16 on 18+. My rating:R for sequences of strong gory/graphic/disturbing sci-fi violence, sequences of disturbing action, bloody images, pervasive language, and thematic material.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke54 May 24, 2015

A classic but not in a million years for people under 15

This movie is is my second favourite sci-fi movie ever its gripping exitmen and great script is amazing. Its every bloody and dark and it but has a good messege it says just because there deferent doesn't mean that you should treat them badly. A great movie I'd definitely recommend it to people into sci-fi action thrillers but not if there under 15.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOli75 March 27, 2015

Great film, compelling story (Spoilers)

Despite the violence, this film is definitely worth the watch. Aliens and humans alike are blown up by alien super-weapons, with blood and flesh beyond recognition spraying everywhere. (SPOILERS!!!) the human transition from human to alien of a character may be disturbing for some. Swearing is commonplace throughout the film, and references to 'inter species prostitution' are made. Overall though, this is a must see, especially for teenage boys and sci-fi fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrozenPyre March 14, 2015

One of the best movies ever made.

I felt like CommonSense's review was a little off, 4 out of 5 on violence? More like 6 out of 5. This movie is one of the most explicitly graphic movie I've ever seen, people are delimbled, shot, stabbed, exploded, ripped apart, and die in pretty much ever way possible. Aliens also are treated exeptionally cruelly, they are killed for no reason, are beaten, and are forced to move from their home. The most disturbing part of this movie is without a doubt a human who is transforming into an alien, and it is horrific to watch, his hand looks terrifying and at 1 part he attempts to cut it off. This movie has moderate language, expect an F-BOMB every 3 minutes or so. I think that this movie has some positive messages about xenophobia and racism, and could teach your kids a couple things. Be extremely cautious with any kid that is under 13 watching this, it might mess them up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byde-cal November 10, 2014

Very good movie

Great movie if you are a mature teen 13 and over. There is violence and swearing, but it's done to further the story. It's contextual rather than gratuitous.