All parent member reviews for Divergent

Adult Written byDolphincat March 22, 2015

Adult Written byKristin852 January 27, 2015

Great Movie

GO WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bybeesore January 2, 2015

not as good as the book

My son and his friend saw this; the friend deemed it his favorite movie. My son thought it didn't live up to the book. He was bothered by the knife throwing scene. There is a lot of blood at the end. He was downright disturbed by the previews for other movies that the theater showed. He was glad that the feast simulator scene wasn't all that scary. We were impressed with the action and effects. Good story.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 27, 2014

Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Teen empowerment

Movie Title: Divergent Grade: B In a Nutshell: This planned trilogy is starting off with mixed reviews, despite its popular book by Veronica Roth. The Hunger Games and Twilight fans will enjoy another heroine who can kick butt and fight the system while finding time for romance. Shailene Woodley has been successful in supporting roles, but this is the first time her performance carries an entire film. I think the ideas are interesting and Director Neil Burger creates a dystopian setting that has holes, yet is still intriguing. Uplifting theme: Tris declares “Don’t try to define me.” The movie is about independent will and finding ourselves. Jeanine Mathews (Kate Winslet) explains “The system removes the threat of anyone practicing their independent will. Divergence threatens that system. It won’t be safe until they’re removed.” Teens often question where they belong, as if there is only one place that they have to find to be “home.” This film takes a stab at showing we are multidimensional creatures that need to dance on many floors in order to find balance. Things I liked: I’d love to play Capture the Flag with that glow-in-the-dark flag. How about playing Paint Ball with those guns that shoot darts that make you feel like you’ve been really shot? This movie is full of dangerous stunts that make you want to stand in line to try. For example, I love that gigantic zip-line that goes through the city. Do you think Universal Studios will build one if this movie does well enough? I won’t be jumping onto moving trains any time soon though. I thought it was interesting to watch the fears some of the characters had. Four explains that most people have 10-15 really bad fears. He has...four. When Tris can’t run away and her feet move slowly in mud during her “fear evasion” sequence, it reminded me that I had that same recurring dream when I was a little girl. It’s a terrible feeling to not be able to move forward, whether trying to escape danger or making progress on a goal. I thought it was an interesting concept that when people in the movie were injected with a certain serum that their thoughts could be controlled. Isn’t that called alcohol? I love Shailene’s thick, beautiful hair. Cool double infinity mirrors and other special effects. Who doesn’t love Ashey Judd? I’d like a blue jacket with the stylish neckline that Jeanine Mathews wears. Things I didn’t like: The ending was disappointingly predictable, but I haven’t read the books, so I’m hoping there are more interesting things to come. Many of the characters were one-dimensional. Those in the Dauntless faction run during most of the movie, yet they’re never out of breath. Tris tells Four “I don’t want to go too fast.” The very next thing you see is her in bed near him. Huh? Interesting lines: “My mother says there’s an art to losing yourself.” – Tris Tris sees the fear in Four’s eyes as they climb up and states “You’re afraid of heights.” He reveals “Everyone is afraid of something.” “Are you even human?” – Four says to Tris as he watches her climb a tower with ease. “This isn’t real.” What an empowering sentence you can say to yourself when you have fear. Courage is doing what you’re afraid to do. One of my favorite quotes by Franklin D. Roosevelt is “Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.” Later, Tris says “Don’t think. Just jump.” I’m wondering if we’ll see that tagline on basketball shoes soon? “I think human nature is the enemy.” Jeanine Matthews What a terrible thought. Human nature is what makes us all fantastically flawed, interesting, and wonderful. “There is a certain beauty in the resistance, but it’s a beauty we can’t afford.” – Jeanine Matthews In Divergent , kids who leave the nest aren’t allowed to go back. Thankfully, in our world they can. In this troubled economy, we’re seeing an increase in “Boomerang Kids” as college graduates return home to save money while trying to pay back student loans. How wonderful that families can pull together and embrace returning kids to get support. On another level, it’s a great thing that we CAN reinvent ourselves and not be pigeon-holed into one thing in our lives. “We train soldiers, not rebels.” – Eric “Trust the test; it will tell you where you belong.” – Tori Tips for parents: The language is clean, but there are a lot of dangerous stunts you may need to remind your kids NOT to try. An interesting dinner conversation with your family might be to ask everyone which faction they would want to join if they had to choose.
Parent of a 31 year old Written byCHRIS529 May 1, 2014

Way too much violence

Tris is the lead female character and does preset a good strong character but I don't think that one positive aspect outweighs all the negatives. I advise any parents considering this movie for their kids to preview the whole movie first.
Parent Written byMovie editor April 22, 2014

I saw this movie twice

I think this was a very good movie. It corresponds with the book very well. It does have a some violence but not the whole movie. I would recommend this for no higher than 11 to 12
Adult Written byabbacus April 5, 2014

Really great adaptation!

I really enjoyed this movie! I really like the book so I was very happy that the movie was good as well. The only big thing I have to complain about is the lack of character development. I feel like the only character you really get to know is Tris and (somewhat) Four. All the others are pushed to the side to make room for training sequences or other action. Other than that, I cant really complain. The acting, pacing, world-building, cinematography, and overall execution was all very good. Fans of the book will definitely be pleased with this one!
Educator and Parent Written bycoolone April 4, 2014

Moms let your kids grow up

First of all I would never go on this site to read a review cause a lot of y'all are over protective. There is absolutely nothing inappropriate with this movie, and it follows the book perfectly, cannot wait until the second one?
Parent of a 12 year old Written byKent in Ventura March 24, 2014

Much to Discuss, but Rather Predictable Plot

Though there is plenty of action and a fair amount of violence, it isn't too graphic or too disturbing; some of the later Harry Potter films were more graphic. (Definitely PG13, though.) The arc of the plot and the outcome are fairly predictable. Other than the two leads, most of the characters are two-dimensional and underdeveloped. Beyond that, if your tween or teen is introspective and/or struggling to navigate school cliques, there is much to discuss: What factions are at your school? Which faction are you in? Did you choose it or was it assigned to you? What happens to the faction-less kids at your school? Would society really work better if everyone knew their place?
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Parent Written byNatureGurl March 23, 2014

Great Story for Teens

Many people say that this has too much violence. Every story has violence. There are deaths in here, but mature kids will be able to handle it. It isn't gory. The number of kids who read the Hunger Games is ridiculous. The Hunger Games is not appropriate at all. (Coming from a mom who won't let her kids read it.) Divergent is fine though. It is a great plot line and an overall great book.
Educator and Parent Written byLibrary2468 March 22, 2014

The book was better, as usual.

I read the book before allowing my (mature) 11 year old to read it. There is one scene in the book that I was concerned about. The female lead is In a fear landscape and is concerned about having sex with the male lead. Other than that, just kissing. I wondered how they would portray that scene in the movie. I think they almost made it appear as if he was trying to rape her in the movie. I talked to my daughter about it afterward and she said that scene was weird. There is some violence, as the other reviewers have stated but it isn't too graphic. Very little swearing I enjoyed the movie. I wonder if viewers that haven't read the book will be able to understand the characters as well as those of us that have read it. Of course, I wondered the same about Hunger Games. Apparently, that wasn't a problem.
Parent Written byhope2014 March 21, 2014

Violent

I have to say trying to stay within the "know" is becoming more challenging. Just sitting in a theatre watching PG13 trailer adds before a movie these days can send you and your child home with visual nightmares of perfectly computer generated monsters we know aren't real but stamped in our minds for later in your sleep, off that soap box, but for this movie, it really is different (less violent if you believe!) from the trilogy, however, don't kid yourself, plenty of girls fighting girls, boy vs girl, kids having to make unthinkable decisions in any human mind to kill there parents/siblings and village in order to survive and live by the path they are made to choose. And God forbid if your child is a dreamer and adapts to many things like a majority of us, the entire movie is about if you are a divergent you have to hide within or you will be murdered by the government and your peers and they will force you to hunt down your family and they die also. It is very disturbing. I don't understand this form of virtual new world. Needless to say the characters are played by great actors (a few are past soap opera actors) but definitely not what our kids need to see and watch for 2 hours of what really reminded me of I learned of concentration camps during history lessons of the holocaust. Oh and one line I thought was silly not to mention many others were "You seem depressed, lets go get tattoos!" Don't waste your time, I'm more worried about the graphical detailed violence my young teenager has read. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR KIDS DONT DROP THEM OFF AND LEAVE THEM WITH FRIENDS AT A MOVIE!!< GET A TICKET AND SIT WHERE THEY CAN'T SEE YOU IF YOU HAVE TOO! They may be upset with you for a while but they get over it!- I'm done
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... March 21, 2014

Tells the story but not greatly impacting

Took two 14 year olds to see it. Do not expect the raw emotion as in HG. It's 2hrs. 23 min. and doesn't need to be. Couldn't empathize with lead female character. Haven't read book. I asked my daughter if the female character was this less interesting and she said yes. I felt more for the lead male character as he had a background that he overcame which made him stronger and that came through in the movie. The movie didn't let you feel the desperation that each faction was going through. The movie felt more like you were watching the news. Did it tell the story? Yes...Did it get you emotionally invested? No. And I wish it had. Wait for DVD. There is a good 20 to 30 minutes of not much going that if you took a bathroom break you wouldn't have missed anything. Save yourself the money spent at the theater. It's too bad because it is a story about embracing our differences and it didn't do that job well. I can even take my 9 year old to see it ...but he is not allowed to see HG. That's the real difference.