Parent reviews for Divergent

Strong female character leads in violent dystopia.

Wondering if Divergent is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byNerdymom411 December 6, 2016

A great film - possibly suitable for your younger kids, if they have the attention span

I say 12 and up for this because I think once you've made it to middle school, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to see Divergent. I will confess to something that may make me seem horrible, but I do not have any 12 year old kids - I allowed my two 9 year olds to watch this with me and their father. I would have allowed my 7 year old to join, but he didn't want to watch an adult movie lol

I'm not the kind of mom that just shows any adult movie to her children. My husband has been trying to talk me into letting them watch the Hunger Games, as a lot of our neighbors kids who are the same age and younger have seen it and liked it, but I just can't. The thought of them seeing the Rue scene - I am sure they would get nightmares.

However, I do not think that Divergent has anything quite like that. Divergent is so obviously in a fictional, scifi realm, so it all feels very fake. Hunger Games feels much more real, like it could happen in our world to me. Divergent is a bit frightening, as in the Dauntless initiation, Tris is forced to fight and gets beaten up by a boy who is a horrible bully, people try to kill her, etc. But to me, it's more suspenseful then it is heartwrenching, which is why I felt my kids might be able to handle it. When I was a kid, I saw the terminator movies and I didn't know what the heck was going on, so I figured they could handle Divergent. I wasn't wrong.

They absolutely loved it and want to see the sequel. My 9 year old son has watched it multiple times on his own now. The villains lose in the end, the heroes prevail, but of course, they both live to fight another day. I personally think it is good to show kids at their age "adult" movies and ease them into more serious and suspenseful topics.

Some warnings:
There is cursing, and I do not allow my children to curse (which seems obvious as they are so young, but even when they are older, I won't allow it in the house) However, I had the same rule growing up, yet saw plenty of movies where people curse. I think my children are aware that people in the world will curse, but that doesn't mean that they can. -The cursing in the movie is actually rather minimal, though.

After a kiss scene, the girl character says "I don't want to go too fast." Now, in middle school, your kids will likely know what that means. I think it's fine because there isn't a sex scene, which is a pleasant and welcome surprise. For my 9 year olds, I was prepared to dodge any questions they had, but it seemed to go right over their heads. They've never asked me what she means by that.

There is some heavy violence toward the end. People are under simulation that forces them to behave and kill like robots, and there are some sad deaths, mainly the death of Tris' mother. Anyone at middle school age I think should be able to handle it. For my 9 year olds, they shed some tears, but the same kind of tears that I shed. I've seen a lot of parents say that younger kids tend to get paranoia and fear death from these scenes, but I haven't had that happen with my kids. I think not sheltering them so much has enabled them to realize the difference in the same way that we do. After all, we do not live in this Divergent world, where people are under simulation and whatnot, so they don't slip into that fear.
It all depends on how you want to raise your child of course, but I personally think that any 12 year old should be able to handle this movie. They are about to become teens, and this is ultimately a teen movie. Lots of room for positive discussion on being an individual. Again, there are brutal situations and bad characters in the movie, but they should know that they can't model that behavior/the good characters in the movie display no behavior that I find worrisome. The heroine manages to survive initiation and triumphs over adversity. I also like that there is a strong male alongside her. Heroines seem stronger when they're strong alongside a strong male. I don't like when hollywood dumbs down the male characters in favor of the strong female. This movie provides a hero for both girls and boys.

Parent Written byMovie editor April 22, 2014

I saw this movie twice

I think this was a very good movie. It corresponds with the book very well. It does have a some violence but not the whole movie. I would recommend this for no higher than 11 to 12

Written byAnonymous August 27, 2014

Parent Written byNatureGurl March 23, 2014

Great Story for Teens

Many people say that this has too much violence. Every story has violence. There are deaths in here, but mature kids will be able to handle it. It isn't gory.
The number of kids who read the Hunger Games is ridiculous. The Hunger Games is not appropriate at all. (Coming from a mom who won't let her kids read it.) Divergent is fine though.
It is a great plot line and an overall great book.

Adult Written byBook_lover15467 July 23, 2020

Amazing, my favourite movie!

Awesome! Divergent is exciting and great for tweens. I reccomend reading the book first but the movie is great on it's own. I definitely reccomend to age 10 and up because of violence and killing but a mature nine year old would be fine.

Adult Written byInesines August 26, 2019

Adult Written bySimon_Cowell March 21, 2019

Actually Quite Good

After watching the Percy Jackson movies I had no hope for movies that were based off of books, but this one wasn't that bad. The plot was pretty much the same, the characters backstories were the same and the characters personalities where mainly the same. I say that they did a good job recreating the popular book that so many including myself love. I also love the choice of actors.

Adult Written byTris21 March 12, 2019

great

this movie is great

Adult Written by[email protected] October 8, 2018

the best movie ever

I think this movie is awesome, it's funny, action packed, family friendly and a love story timeline all in one

Adult Written byjamiethebibliophile September 17, 2018

Exciting

I think it should be a kids film, the film has brief violence which wouldn't be understood by a child.

Parent Written byEllybelly246 June 12, 2018

Too many mistakes

This movie has wayyyy to many mistakes compared to the book and I even counted 47 mistakes so I didn't think that it was that good.
Parent of a 9 and 15-year-old Written byMeowstiic T. October 23, 2017

Violent but Very Well Told and Sticks to the Book

The thing that's great about this movie is that it sticks to the book. It's more violent than it should be, but this dystopian tale is very well told.

Adult Written byJake J. October 3, 2017
Adult Written byLinda L. August 30, 2017

Sooooo violent

Way to much violence for any one under 14

Parent Written byMadeline S. May 22, 2017

Divergent IS DEFINITELY NOT HINGER GAMES

people call the the new generation of "hunger games" but I'm telling you it is not it is much better in my opinion I read this when I was 11 and I fell in love with this plot and characters also you all need to read this trilogy my fav is the 1st book

Adult Written byChristine N. January 17, 2017

A page turner that is a bit too steamy

The book is an enjoyable read. I was so disappointed by the sexaul element. The two main characters are 16 and 18. There are detailed descriptions of their attraction to each other and multiple kissing scence. It is mentioned that they will have sex when they are ready. This was assigned in my daughter's 6th grade class. It is definitely inappropriate for that age group.

Adult Written byTeacherYear8 July 24, 2016

Really not violent !

I think this movie is not to violent (unlike the book) parents you may think this movie is not appropriate since the hunger games is recommended with it but it's nothing like THG !

Ok there's a bit of intimacy (sex) in the main female characters fear landscape she imagines him kissing her then forcing her too... Anyway
(That scene is something to worry about...)

But for the rest of the movie it is fine I love the hunger games and do recommend it after you watch divergent but- WARNING - it is gory and violent !! But I can't put down the hunger games !

So Divergent is not violent but the is a few unlikeable and boring parts...

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written byMOMMYJ January 26, 2016

Divergent Almost Lives Up to the Great Book

A great book turned into a great movie. Divergent was excellent. It stuck to the book very well and completely engrossed me. Some of the book's main characters were overshadowed by Tris and Four falling in love which disappointed me. I liked most of the characters more in the book than the movie. Other than that the movie was phenomenal and I loved seeing it.

Adult Written byChrisK 1 June 27, 2015

Inappropriate and gory

Divergent is a bloody gory and vulgar movie that is not appropriate for a large variety of children. Men women and children are shot up and killed in this grotesque world as teenagers have long extended kissing sequences. To top it off actors in this movie swear repeatedly.

Do not let children under 16 watch this movie.

Adult Written byTheDarkKnightFalls May 9, 2015

Divergent

Divergent is a 2014 science-fiction post-apocalyptic film. This is very
similar to The Hunger Games, so fans of young-adult dramas will love
Divergent. The film focuses on Tris Prior, a sixteen year-old girl who
has to choose a faction to survive in: Abnegation, Dauntless, Erudite,
Amity or Candor. But when she chooses, her life changes forever.
My Classification: M - Adult Themes, Stylised Violence, Some Coarse Language, Sexual References