All teen and kid member reviews for Divergent

Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014
The book was honestly the best book I have ever read. Like EVER. So if the movie follows the book it should be fine. Totally appropriate. However, the are very few scenes where Tris and four have "moments" if you know what I mean. For example, there is a scene where they say that they talked, dozed off, and kissed in fours bed, and Four is seen at one point being briefly drunk, and says "You look good." To Tris. They kiss in a couple moments in the book, which knowing the movie world, they will be sure to add in for some reason, and so if you dont like that dont watch it, and also there are some parts where there is violence, but not specific so maybe you need to see if your kid can handle it or not. Tris shows that she can be the better person in multiple scenes, and four tells her many good strategies to be the absolute best person possible. They show that being different isn't nesiccarily (sorry not the best speller)a bad thing. It in fact, makes you even better than you might have even thought you could be. They have funny, sad, happy, and adorable scenes, so If you'r 11 and up I think it should be a great movie to see with friends. Have fun!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 22, 2014

Fabulous movie adaptation, lives up to its name ♥

This was a GREAT movie. Before you think, "two hours long?!" I want to tell you that I did not fidget or think about the time AT ALL while watching it. I was totally absorbed in each moment. -MESSAGES: Tris and Four are the best two protagonists. They strive to fight for what they believe is right and support each other along the way. There is also great emphasis on the meaning of family. -VIOLENCE: Obviously, there's going to be lots of punching, kicking, shooting, stabbing. It's just the nature of the book and film. Some moments are more intense than others, and blood is visible on their bodies from wounds and such. There is mass-shooting of innocent people, close friends and family are killed, and they torture some of the initiates, which is why I put age 13+. Some kids can handle it better than others, surely. -ROMANCE: This could just be me, but I felt like they sexed up Tris a little bit. I mean I understand that Hollywood is about attracting the nicest looking actors and actresses, but I thought Tris's shirt was a little too revealing at times. And I thought Abnegations don't value self-image and such, but Tris was wearing a lot of eye makeup in the beginning of the movie, and she kept fixing her hair. Again, this could have just been me. :) And oh my goodness, Four and Tris!! Tris is afraid to go any further with Four, so they just kissed and hugged a lot, but passionately. -SWEARING: They say a**hole and b**** a couple times, but I thought it was pretty funny. They don't overdo it. -DRINKING: When they have a party after capture the flag, there's some drinking involved, but nobody gets drunk. It's very minimal. Overall, it was a fantastic movie itself, but compared to the book, there were a couple disappointing changes. Tris wasn't exactly short and clumsy as described in the books, there was no Uriah, the mom died differently, and so on. BUT, the acting was brilliant and some of the scenes brought me to tears. And the choreography, music, and special effects were great! LOVED IT! If you're a fan, you'll love it too ♥ p.s. Theo James is beautiful lol
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2014

amazing book to movie adaptation

DISCLAIMER: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. Wow is all I can say. It was very close to the book, there were small changes but that was to be expected. This movie does have a decent amount of violence, **SPOILERS AHEAD** Tris is kidnapped, both her parents die, she is forced to shoot her best friend, people are beat up in training and more. It is less violent then the book, and if you have read the book it will be fine. As for sexual content, Four removes his shirt and he and Tris kiss passionately, in Tris's fear landscape one of her fears is sex with Four. It shows him trying to remove her shirt, her stopping him, him pushing her on to the bed and kissing her neck, and then she knocks him out. As for language b-tch is said several times, also one use of a--hole. Tris is a great role model and has really inspired me. All in all Divergent is a great movie for 12 and up!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySosie98 April 13, 2014

A Disappointment for Fans of Roth's Novel

Divergent tried to take a leaf out of the Hunger Games' book, but it just didn't work out the same way. Sure, the movie was fine and better than the Percy Jackson film adaptation by any means (what isn't) but so many characters were understated and Tris' heroine qualities were all but stripped from her. Half the movie was Tris yelling "protect me Four" and minimal fighting ensuing with the other initiates due to Four's constant intervention. Shailene Woodley played an emotional Tris and I can't wait to see her in The Fault in Our Stars out later this year. However, the casting of Ansel Elgort as Caleb Prior (Tris' brother), when he is playing Augustus Waters (her love interest) in the Fault in Our Stars later this year was very poor. I felt Tris and her brother had more chemistry than she and Four. Half the time they looked like they were about to kiss! In summary, Tris was no Katniss Everdeen in this film adaptation. Hopefully they'll up the anty in Insurgent. Hopefully.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybethompa1 March 22, 2014

Heartfelt Adaptation of a Popular Teen Novel: Way Better than Twilight, Mortal Instruments, or Vampire Academy.

Yes, the idea won't appeal to all grown people. Most dystopia doesn't! While Four/Tobias tries to force Beatrice/Tris to have sex with her, she defends herself and there is nothing graphic. Frankly, there was a LOT less violence and sex than in the hunger games (both). This being said, many people close to the main character are killed. Not a lot of language or drinking, especially compared to most movies nowadays! Overall a great pick and definitely worth every dollar.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiggy12345 July 24, 2014

disappointing

Teen, 15 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 23, 2014

Thrilling, disturbing movie based on a book will entertain, even if viwers did not read the book

Even if I had not read the book, I still thoroughly enjoyed this movie. the dystopian society is easy to follow, and many of the action scenes are quite stunning. that said, there are quite a few intense and emotional scenes that make this film a better fit for older teens. people are shot, stabbed, and beaten throughout the movie. blood is shown, but only in quick flashes. the end of the movie features a brutal fight and a near massacre. there is brief kissing and one mild attempted rape. there is some salty language.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakef16 April 5, 2014

Fabulous

Divergent is a great book and movie about a 16 year old girl who lives in a system way different from our own. She has to go against society and be brave. It had a great message of standing up for yourself. The movie actually toned down the "eesh this is awkward" factor. There was way less blood then the book, less people died, and there was less adult "stuff". There were a few scenes that were a bit awkward to see with your mom, but nothing serious. Tris shows a great example for not wanting to go to far to fast. And Four shows young men how they should respond and act around young women. There are a few kissing scenes, one where Four is not wearing a shirt and they are "passionately" kissing. During Tris's stimulation Four approaches her and kisses her, then he slowly starts sliding his hand up her shirt. I admit as a 13 year old this made me uncomfortable. But Tris pushes him away, he pushes her on the bed and starts to kiss her neck passionately, but she attacks him and wakes up. None of this really happened, it was a dream pretty much, but its still an uncomfortable scene. It was suggestive and awkward but it shows no matter what, say no! There were a few bad words, but also some very funny scenes, I overall loved this movie! I highly recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2014

movie adaptation of a dystopian novel about finding your place in society

the film is about a society divided into five factions, and when you're sixteen, you take a test to determine where you belong. when tris prior discovers she's divergent (which is you can't be controlled by the government) she has to hide inside a faction to survive. people are shot (but from far away) tris has to stand in front of a target while faction leaders chuck knives at her (no injuries result) and there are fist fights regularly. one kiss where guy has his shirt off.
Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2014

It's violent

It's a great movie but people die like al commits suicide and his body is shown and there is some blood but tris is a great role model and it does swear a couple of times but it's mild
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2014

Truly amazing!

This film is an action packed adventure that will not leave you disappointed! It is set in Chicago after there has been a war. In order to protect the people, a wall was built. The people in charge wanted to make sure it was a peaceful place to live in so they devised a system that split the population into 5 communities based on their personality type.The five groups are called factions; Abnegation, for the selfless; Amity, for the peaceful; Candor, for the honest; Dauntless, for the brave; and Erudite, for the Intelligent. To determine what faction you belong in, a test is taken by everyone. The test involves lying on a chair and drinking a substance that puts you in a dream like state. In the test you face some of your worst fears and have to make decisions on how to escape different scenarios; everything that happens isn't real but simply in your mind. Once the test is over someone will tell you what faction you would most fit in to but you can choose any at the Choosing Ceremony. Beatrice lives with her mum, dad and brother and has been brought up in the Abnegation faction; her brother is a natural at helping everyone but Beatrice finds it hard sometimes. She and her brother have to take the test but Beatrice gets a shocking result: she is divergent. This means she fits into all the factions instead of just one. A confused Beatrice must chose a faction not knowing where she truly belongs. She was torn between Dauntless and Abnegation but chooses Dauntless at the last minute. In her new faction, she can't be with her family and she takes a new name Tris. Tris must not get found out as being a divergent as she will be killed.
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Great sci fi film, is fine for teens and has a very good story

In the film there is some very scary moments and some moderate violence and low level sex. In the film something very bad has happened and they have built a wall to shield themselves from the outside world. They have separated their city into factions. Citizens have to choose the faction they are closest to physically and mentally. The violence is pretty intense, there are some arena fights which people punch each over to the point that the opponent can't fight any longer. They bleed in these fights. The two main characters go into a fear simulation program where the characters fight their fears and have to overcome them. Including, drowning, confinement and heights. Characters shoot each other and some shoot innocent people. There is also a scene where one character attempts to have sex with the other and she does not want to. Overall the film is intense, but there is positive messages and role models. Suitable for most Tweens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLily Beattie April 10, 2014

Not Disappointed!

Well, I have to say this movie is great. After reading the three books first, and a big fan, I was expecting a lot from the movie. I was not disappointed! Language is not an big issue in the film, however violence may be (there are a lot of hand-to-hand fights, guns and weapons.) Although, I hate scary and violent films, I found Divergent not bad. I suggest you/your child reads the books first, just to get a general idea before watching the film. Hope this helps.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2014

Divergent

There is a lot of violence, but it is mostly hand and gun violence so there is no gore. There are a couple of scenes that are lovey, but overall, it is very good. I would suggest reading the books first. There is one very gory scene in the book that is not in the movie: [SPOILER ALERT] When Edward gets stabbed in the eye with a butter knife. They eliminated the characters of Myra and Edward altogether. A very good movie adaption, good for teens who enjoy a good action film. There is a little bit of swearing, but not much. Tris is a great role model who cares for those she loves and fights for the right thing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 March 22, 2014

Best dystopian novel that has come to the big screen

Wow! Just arrived home from seeing the best movie ever. Action, violence, suspense, and even a hint of romance made this movie an A+ film. This film is amazing, but not made for young children or younger teens. Sex: a scene of passionate kissing on a bed(while brief, still graphic). References to sexual placing if tattoos. Two teens are shown passionately embracing, then waking up the next morning in the same bed(implied sex). Language: 2 uses of a**hole and 2-3 uses of b*tch. Violence: knifing, shooting, killing, and overall mayhem and war scenes are shown.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydreamer_nyah July 6, 2014

Good for kids 12 and up

I think this movie is fine for 12 and up kids. But if your child doesn't like seeing violence or dead bodies don't take them to see this movie. It was just shooting, hand to hand combat, knife throwing, and fighting, and a few dead bodies found. It wasn't too much blood for me. It was a little romance in this movie between Tris and Four. It was just flirting, and one long kiss which for me wasn't bad. There were great messages and good role models in this movie like Tris and Four. I like how Tris was brave, honest, kind, smart, and selfless. There was some swearing and curse words throughout the movie. I also like how Tris and Four were good role models for a teen relationship. I loved how it's a sci-fi, fiction, and romance movie with all those genres combined in one movie. If your kid can handle violence, some kissing, and swearing your good. Overall it was a great movie all around.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 March 22, 2014

Another Great adaptation

Divergent lives up to its hype. The book series Is currently one of the most popular in the world, and everybody who's read them will most likely be pleased with the film. Tris is a normal girl in a dystopian world, where you are split into factions based on your personality. But she is what you would call a divergent, somebody who's test is inconclusive. They are also the main targets of some evil people, trying to end all divergents. It's a great, adventurous movie with a strong lead character, and even some humor. I reccomend it for ages 10 or 11 and up because of a quick scene in a lifelike test, where she is almost involved in an innapropriate situation, but it's quick and not much happens.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazycoolbff January 18, 2015

Awesome movie!!!

There is one scene where Tobias has his shirt off, and they kiss, but nothing more.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

Depends what your kids understand and are scared of

its a great movie but it about people killing people if there different doesn't set a good role model story but if you kid has an idea it's all made up then your fine it's a bit like the hunger games and if your seen the hunger Games and thought that was to intense for the children the divergent might be there is less killing and not a lot of blood but it's abit of a dark story but it's also got some LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP in it
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2014

Divergent

Divergent is amazing like the book and there is a lot of violence and sex references.