Kid reviews for Divergent

Strong female character leads in violent dystopia.

Wondering if Divergent is OK for your kids?

Teen, 16 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 22, 2014

Fabulous movie adaptation, lives up to its name ♥

This was a GREAT movie. Before you think, "two hours long?!" I want to tell you that I did not fidget or think about the time AT ALL while watching it. I was totally absorbed in each moment.

-MESSAGES: Tris and Four are the best two protagonists. They strive to fight for what they believe is right and support each other along the way. There is also great emphasis on the meaning of family.
-VIOLENCE: Obviously, there's going to be lots of punching, kicking, shooting, stabbing. It's just the nature of the book and film. Some moments are more intense than others, and blood is visible on their bodies from wounds and such. There is mass-shooting of innocent people, close friends and family are killed, and they torture some of the initiates, which is why I put age 13+. Some kids can handle it better than others, surely.
-ROMANCE: This could just be me, but I felt like they sexed up Tris a little bit. I mean I understand that Hollywood is about attracting the nicest looking actors and actresses, but I thought Tris's shirt was a little too revealing at times. And I thought Abnegations don't value self-image and such, but Tris was wearing a lot of eye makeup in the beginning of the movie, and she kept fixing her hair. Again, this could have just been me. :) And oh my goodness, Four and Tris!! Tris is afraid to go any further with Four, so they just kissed and hugged a lot, but passionately.
-SWEARING: They say a**hole and b**** a couple times, but I thought it was pretty funny. They don't overdo it.
-DRINKING: When they have a party after capture the flag, there's some drinking involved, but nobody gets drunk. It's very minimal.

Overall, it was a fantastic movie itself, but compared to the book, there were a couple disappointing changes. Tris wasn't exactly short and clumsy as described in the books, there was no Uriah, the mom died differently, and so on. BUT, the acting was brilliant and some of the scenes brought me to tears. And the choreography, music, and special effects were great! LOVED IT! If you're a fan, you'll love it too ♥
p.s. Theo James is beautiful lol

Kid, 11 years old March 22, 2014

Doesn't quite catch the book

In Divergent, so many things went right, and so many went wrong. They totally left out Edward, and Christina and Will dating. The cast was great, but I especially liked Eric's actor. Here's a content review:
Violence- 4/5 The story revolves around Dauntless initiation, which has brutal fight scenes, kidnapping, and capture the flag with guns. At the end of the movie, there are soldiers killing innocent people, which is caught on tape. There are a lot of gun fight scenes, which has people, including Tris' parents, dying. At the end, Tris throws a knife at Jeanine's hand, sticking it to a computer screen.
Sex- 2/5 There are some longing looks between Tris and Tobias, and they end up kissing, with Tobias shirtless. Towards the beginning, Tris is shown changing, revealing her bare legs, and she is in a bra. When Peter sees her, he yells, "Nice legs, Stiff!" In Tris' fear simulation, Tobias ties to have sex with her.
Great movie.

Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Great sci fi film, is fine for teens and has a very good story

In the film there is some very scary moments and some moderate violence and low level sex. In the film something very bad has happened and they have built a wall to shield themselves from the outside world. They have separated their city into factions. Citizens have to choose the faction they are closest to physically and mentally. The violence is pretty intense, there are some arena fights which people punch each over to the point that the opponent can't fight any longer. They bleed in these fights. The two main characters go into a fear simulation program where the characters fight their fears and have to overcome them. Including, drowning, confinement and heights. Characters shoot each other and some shoot innocent people. There is also a scene where one character attempts to have sex with the other and she does not want to.
Overall the film is intense, but there is positive messages and role models. Suitable for most Tweens.

Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

Depends what your kids understand and are scared of

its a great movie but it about people killing people if there different doesn't set a good role model story but if you kid has an idea it's all made up then your fine it's a bit like the hunger games and if your seen the hunger Games and thought that was to intense for the children the divergent might be there is less killing and not a lot of blood but it's abit of a dark story but it's also got some LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP in it
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeon_Fish January 8, 2015

Love this movie

I love divergent and hav watched it like 5 times and read the books. I think the movie is directed more at teenage girls than boys because of the romance etc
However there are some emotional parts and a few violent scenes which might upset children under 12 tho I think u shud watch it cuz it's got a good storyline and is easy to follow and the acting is very realilistic.

Teen, 13 years old Written byiggy12345 July 24, 2014

disappointing

Teen, 13 years old Written bybethompa1 March 22, 2014

Heartfelt Adaptation of a Popular Teen Novel: Way Better than Twilight, Mortal Instruments, or Vampire Academy.

Yes, the idea won't appeal to all grown people. Most dystopia doesn't! While Four/Tobias tries to force Beatrice/Tris to have sex with her, she defends herself and there is nothing graphic. Frankly, there was a LOT less violence and sex than in the hunger games (both). This being said, many people close to the main character are killed. Not a lot of language or drinking, especially compared to most movies nowadays! Overall a great pick and definitely worth every dollar.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 March 22, 2014

Another Great adaptation

Divergent lives up to its hype. The book series Is currently one of the most popular in the world, and everybody who's read them will most likely be pleased with the film. Tris is a normal girl in a dystopian world, where you are split into factions based on your personality. But she is what you would call a divergent, somebody who's test is inconclusive. They are also the main targets of some evil people, trying to end all divergents. It's a great, adventurous movie with a strong lead character, and even some humor. I reccomend it for ages 10 or 11 and up because of a quick scene in a lifelike test, where she is almost involved in an innapropriate situation, but it's quick and not much happens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDraconion Potterus February 9, 2020

Awesome! But seriously?

Well, they left out A LOT of the elements from the book in this movie, It doesn't have as much structure as I hoped there might have been. Some people here are saying how 'steamy' it is but that's false. Basically those Karen's are on about one freaking scene where Tris and Tobias are with eachother on his balcony and Tobias takes off his shirt to show her his tattoo's and Tris kisses him. It's okay! You guys make it seem like 50 shades of grey kind of kissing, Tris even says she wants to take it slow- Well, Allegiant is a WHOLE different concept but come on. Seriously? It's not bad. The age different is okay in the books Tris is 16 and Four (Tobias) is 18 but in the movies Four is 21. I don't really care but some Karen's and Linda's out there be hat'in on that- I mean if you watch Shadowhunters Alec and Magnus are like- How many years apart? 800,000? 900,000? Idk but age doesn't matter.

Teen, 16 years old Written byShowman movie13 February 1, 2020

Unexpectedly not a good movie.

I did not really enjoy this movie. It was violent with lots of shooting involved. I thought this movie wasted mine time. I did not see the pplot in this movie. There is lots of shooting/violence that I was actually disturbed of! I highly suggest everyone 13+ to watch this movie.

Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2014

Best movie ever

I went to go and see this movie for my 12th birthday party with a few of my friends and some of them were 11. It is a great movie filled with action and romance. The cast is perfect and are a great group to play in this movie. Do not listen to rotten tomatoes reviews. It is not as good as the book but it is still a great movie.

Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2014

Really Well Done!

I loved this movie! I thought it followed the book pretty well and despite what other people say it really wasn't that violent. There was one make out seen but that was it! It was very good and you should let any one 10+ see it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byvalval0124 May 29, 2014

Best movie ever

I'm 13 and went and watched this movie i loved it I thought it was better then the Hunger games.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakef16 April 5, 2014

Fabulous

Divergent is a great book and movie about a 16 year old girl who lives in a system way different from our own. She has to go against society and be brave. It had a great message of standing up for yourself. The movie actually toned down the "eesh this is awkward" factor. There was way less blood then the book, less people died, and there was less adult "stuff". There were a few scenes that were a bit awkward to see with your mom, but nothing serious. Tris shows a great example for not wanting to go to far to fast. And Four shows young men how they should respond and act around young women. There are a few kissing scenes, one where Four is not wearing a shirt and they are "passionately" kissing. During Tris's stimulation Four approaches her and kisses her, then he slowly starts sliding his hand up her shirt. I admit as a 13 year old this made me uncomfortable. But Tris pushes him away, he pushes her on the bed and starts to kiss her neck passionately, but she attacks him and wakes up. None of this really happened, it was a dream pretty much, but its still an uncomfortable scene. It was suggestive and awkward but it shows no matter what, say no! There were a few bad words, but also some very funny scenes, I overall loved this movie! I highly recommend it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byreviews545 October 28, 2020
There were a lot of changes from the book to the movie, but overall it was a decent adaptation. I think it is appropriate for anyone 13 and up, but a mature 12 year-old could handle it just fine as well.

- Violence:
This is a science fiction dystopian action film, so it's not surprising that there is some violence involved. The violence is perfectly PG-13, although it can be a bit intense at times. There are many shootings, killings, fights. There are dead bodies shown multiple times, although they aren't particularly gory. The teenage characters are forced to fight each other multiple times, and they are told to show no mercy and fight until the opponent cannot continue. The main character's parents sacrifice their lives in an attempt to save her. The movie focuses on one faction in particular, Dauntless. Dauntless is known for bravery, so the characters have to do particularly daring tasks, such as jumping into a chasm without knowing there is a net below, or playing a game of Capture the Flag with weapons that, while not real guns, feel like real gunshots when shot. In one scene, a teenage girl is forced to hold on to a railing for a specific amount of time or else she falls to her death in the chasm below. In another, Tris is captured by three males in masks who attempt to throw her off the cliff. One male character commits suicide (offscreen) and his body is shown.

- Language:
There is a small amount of language: "b**ch" is heard once or twice, "a**hole" possibly once, but there is some name-calling such as "coward" and "Stiff". Stiff is a derogatory term for those from Tris's home faction, Abnegation.

- Sex
This movie had a surprisingly low amount of romance in it compared to others in the genre. Tris (16) and Four (18-19?) share a couple of kisses, but nothing extreme. In one scene, Four takes off his shirt to show Tris the tattoo on his back, and they kiss. Tris mentions that she wants to wait before going too far. The final stage of Dauntless initiation is going into a simulation where you are forced to face all of your fears. Tris is afraid of intimacy, so there is a scene where a simulated version of Four tries to have sex with her. He tries to take her shirt off and push her onto the bed, although before he gets anywhere, she kicks him in the groin and punches him. All of the Dauntless, male and female, share one room, and so one time when Tris is changing, she is shown in her bra for a couple of seconds.

Drinking/Drugs:
There really isn't any drinking or drugs in the movie, although while reading other reviews, I noticed that some people saw a short scene of the Dauntless drinking. I honestly didn't notice it, so it wasn't particularly obvious.
Kid, 10 years old September 27, 2020

The book is a little bit better

It's not so violent, but it's good. It's not exactly like the book. The book is a little bit more bloody

Kid, 12 years old September 19, 2020

Just amazing

The book was better, but the movie was still really good! I liked it a lot.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPranoy Das September 12, 2020

Nice

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe_Little_Wing August 13, 2020

Good book

This book does contain a bit of kissing though not that much, just one or two and that is all. It is a great book full of twists and turns. There is some mention off intimacy but for a few lines only. There is no graphic detail and it has very little swearing.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycomplexnumber123 June 24, 2020

Strong Female Role Model

This movie has many amazing factors. It has a very strong female role which is very good for young girls. There is violence but nothing too gory or violent. There is only one scene in the movie that might be inappropriate as Four is making a sexual advance on Tris.