All parent member reviews for Django Unchained

Adult Written bychristian2011 August 20, 2013

Surprisingly brilliant Tarantino film. For people 17+ due to extreme violence & profanity.

Django Unchained does give us a great insight on the use and aspects of slavery in the 1800's - especially the brutal methods and tactics that DiCaprio's character brings to the table which can be cruel and sadistic. It brings a spaghetti western feel to the screen, and contains has a smart sense of humor, common with Tarantino films. The story about Django and his vigilante/crusade adventure is exciting and compelling, bringing justice to the corrupt plantation owners. For the content advisory - this film contains sequences of graphic bloody violence where people and slaves are shot, mutilated, whipped, and tortured - where one slave is ripped apart by dogs, one is hung naked and has their genitals mutilated, and other two are forced to brutally beat each other to death on-screen. The language is pervasive and strong - multiple uses of f**k, sh*t, godd**n, b*tch, and especially n*gger. There's no actual sex in this film except for a few passionate kissing scenes and implicated acts of sex; one scene shows graphic female nudity.
Parent Written byalwaysarealmom December 28, 2012

The Truth!

This movie was a good movie overall, no it is not for small children, but I think it will provoke dialogue with older children. Yes there is full frontal nudity of a male, but back during slavery times, these types if incidents happened. I think we shield our children form the truth of slavery & this movie will cause some dialogue if we are honest. Of course the violence is massive, its a Tarantino movie, that's what he's known for, but overall the story has a basis & its easy to follow; which let me say that is not common for Tarantino!.. The sad part is most of what is portrayed in the movie as it relates to slavery is real & true even though Tarantino tried to make it light & somewhat humourous. House slaves behaved that way, women were treated that way, and men were used like animals for sport!!
Parent Written byreelreviews December 29, 2012

Great Movie-but not for kids

This is a great film but it deals with some heavy subjects such as slavery and the prejudices that surround the 1800's. Also there is a lot of violence in the movie but most of it is exaggerated so it does not seem realistic. However there are some very intense scens in the movie that have extreme violence that will surely bother some viewers. The language in the film is not horrible but it is heavily used in certain scenes. Finally, I disagree with common sense on the "sex" category. There is no sex displayed in the movie. However there are a couple sexual pieces of dialogue and some nudity. But, the nudity that is used in the film is not sexual in nature. In conclusion the movie should not be shown to kids, but if you like westerns, B-movies, or Quentin Tarantino movies in general you will surely love it.
Parent Written bySteveEvets December 27, 2012

Fantastic movie. Not for kids.

I'll get this out of the way. Django Unchained is my favorite movie of 2012. The dialogue is fantastic. The characters are memorable. It's funny one it needs to be and serious when it's required. It's never really inappropriate and no one should be offended. Having said that, it is incredibly violent, probably the most violent mainstream film released this year. Character's faces are blown off, blood flies through the air and fills the screen and quite a few men have their genitals eviscerated. (Though that last part is never shown in detail, just a shot to the crotch and some blood) This is way too intense for many young children. The film also contains frequent use of profanity throughout, including some f-words and a few s-words. Some would include the N-word here but I would not because, in the way the film uses it, it's not really a swear as much as it is for historical context. This happened. People used this word. We can't pretend they didn't. As for sex, there's a scene with a naked woman who is dragged away. Her breast can be quickly seen but it's only on screen for half a second. There is also a scene where the main character, played by Jamie Foxx, is hanging naked with his genitals (obviously a fake prosthetic penis and testicles) fully visible. I personally wouldn't consider this a problem because it's only nudity, these are absolutely NOT sexualized scenes, but some may take issue with it. Some have called this film racist. It is not. It is a film with racist characters but the heroes, the ones we should be rooting for are all anti-slavery and anti-hate. So, you should definitely watch this if violence and language do not bother you too much but hire a babysitter if you need to.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byfredck April 6, 2013

Must see... If not a kid

A masterpiece... not for kids, definitely.
Parent Written byseattle101 August 7, 2013

some kids parents.....

first and foremost, i'm flabbergasted that knowing that this is a tarantino film that any parent in their right mind would even consider their "9 year" watching this or any of his. plaheez people. these movies always spark conversation/controversy. it's classic tarantino. yes, there were times i looked the other way and the language became repetitive but we as a society have allowed for that. own it! thanks for the discussion quentin!
Educator and Parent Written byMs.VanA November 3, 2013

Taking slavery seriously

First off, I have to say that it was a mistake when I got this movie out of RedBox to watch with my ten-year-old. Somehow I missed that it was a Tarantino movie! (duh!) I don't think I would advise any child, even age 16 to see this without a parent to help contextualize this film. However, I can't say I regret seeing it with my son, as I explain below. As far as Tarantino movies go, this one is remarkable in that the heroes are the good guys; the good vs. evil line is not that blurry and the violence done by the good guys generally has a noble purpose (saving your spouse) and is not just revenge. I might add that Django's wife isn't portrayed as totally helpless, although you do have to wait until the final scene to see that side of her. Waltz's character, brilliantly acted, is a fascinating counterpoint to Django. He finds slavery so abhorrent that he has trouble fully acting like a slave owner in the interest of saving Django's wife. We assume that Django is a good man who is able to pull it off because of his single-minded mission to save the woman he loves. (I'm not sure if Django is an amazing actor or Foxx a less than amazing one in that it's hard to see that internal struggle and believe that Django is truly good.) Many people have commented on the brutal violence and it is psychologically brutal; we both both hid behind our hands for the worst parts (slaves fighting to the death for sport, a slave attacked by dogs, and the possibility of castration.) There is brief nudity which has nothing to do with sex and serves ably to emphasize the vulnerability of individuals suffering under slavery. My biggest fear was when two white men threw Django's wife into an empty bedroom. Thank you Quentin for having them just walk out and not take advantage of her! If you are willing to discuss this movie at length with your child, I think it can be a fascinating learning experience. For example, my son finally understands how the N-word got its power; trying to explain the horrifying historical context of the word is difficult but he understands now. After the movie, he asked me, "Was slavery really that bad?" My response: "It was worse."
Adult Written bydarthsitkur May 20, 2013

Red dead redemption: the movie

you can easily call this red dead redemption: the movie because it's an awesome nonstop action thrill ride
Educator and Parent Written byguitarman101 May 1, 2013

A Reedemer figuer with a twist

In the film, Schultz help s Django free his wife from a ruthless slave owner who in several instances has her tortured. Despite the film's intense language and violence sequences, it does present several important qualities. Although showing the unfortunate past of our country's history with slavery, the film also presents an opportunity of escape. Django is able to free his wife from slavery. This plays on the emotions of the viewers. We all wanted him to save her and reside with her again and by the end of the film, justice is served in a sense. Another point to note along with saving his wife, is Django's faithfulness to his wife. Despite several opportunities during the film, he remains faithful the whole way through and comes back to her arms once more. One other point I would like to make about the film comes from one of the other main characters, Schultz. Although being a bounty hunter in the film, Schultz is able to put aside his own person aspirations for money and other riches and help Django save his wife. Even though in the end it costs him his life, his character can teach us several things. First of all, it is better to sacrifice one's self (simply sacrificing time will do; not necessarily one's life as seen unfortunately by the end). It also teaches us to do the right thing morally. Despite being a bounty hunter, Schultz puts his quests aside to help Django against this immoral social justice. Schultz recognizes slavery is wrong and sacrifices his life to help save Django's wife; a person he barely even knows. One can almost see a Christ, or redeemer figure in his Character (ignore the bounty hunter aspect) in this sacrifice. After viewing the film (although I would not recommend this movie for anyone under 18), I can see that the writers intended to play on the viewers morals in several aspects. The most obvious one being social justice and portraying slavery in a way that makes the viewer feel disgusted by the very idea of slavery. Secondly, it shows that personal sacrifice in most cases is better than selfishness (redeemer figure). In the end Schultz sacrificed everything to help save his comrade's wife. Although this is an extreme case, it almost calls the viewer to stand up for what is right. Thank you for your time and consideration of these points.
Parent Written byMynameiscarlos February 27, 2013

Gory, violent and brilliant

Django unchained is SUPER SUPER SUPER GORY. The movie is brilliant but the 17+ is right. Not for kids.
Parent Written byembeau January 25, 2013

Shocking and violent, but real and also a reminder of how we mistreated people.

Wow, it was shocking, but made me realize (again) how we treated human beings at one point in our country's history..Eye opening for the history and the violence. I was uncomfortable throughout the movie-for the treatment of african americans and the violence. It was hard for me to watch, but it reminded me to be cognizant of an ugly part of US history. I also did take thrill in seeing Django living as a free man and getting revenge. I wanted him to "win". The acting was fantastic. It is hard to hear and see such racially charged words and actions-but if you can handle that,it is a great movie. NOT FOR KIDS.
Parent Written byOld Woman January 1, 2013

Adults Only!

As an adult, I loved the movie. I would never let my 9 year old see it though! Language, violence may be something kids are familiar with now days; but 2 hrs and 49 minutes is a bit much - even for adults. Great adult movie - as I said - I look for Django Unchained to win many awards.
Adult Written bytechlight December 27, 2012

Major point correction

The only thing I would add is there is scene with several moments of full frontal male nudity. The actor is hanging upsidedown naked and another actor grabs his private parts. This exchange is shown from the front.
Adult Written bydanieldavidpeterson December 26, 2012

Awful movie, keep your kids away!

This is a dreadful movie. Keep your kids away from it. I am not easily phased by violence but there were two scenes in this movie where I closed my eyes and refused to watch. I think the language used in this movie was unacceptable (plenty of n-words) and I honestly don't know how it was rated "R". Violence aside, there's an excessive amount of blood. I honestly could not recommend this movie to anyone, ever. I won't deny that there were some humorous parts (towards the beginning), but the movie gets much worse as it goes on. If nothing else, the extended run time (nearly three hours) should be a warning sign that it's boring -- there is plenty of filler in here. In the end, the concept for this movie (freed slave becomes a bounty hunter) is more entertaining than the way it panned out on screen.