Parent reviews for Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange Poster Image

Sorcery and black magic

I haven't seen many reviews taking issue with the use of sorcery and black magic. Many families might not feel comfortable with that kind of imaginary and practices feeding their kids. As it turns out (spoiler) the hero of the film, is actually drawing her power from the dark side, but instead of being disqualified it turns out to be accepted by their followers once they have digested the news. I believe we are here away from the fantasy worlds of 'good' magic and myth à la Tolkien or Lewis, but with a rather more dangerous kind. There are also direct references to the sex life of Dr Strange with his girlfriend which is gratuitous and unnecessary in a kids film. Nothing is showed but it directly evoked.

3 people found this helpful.

Not a kids movie, too much blood and disturbing imagery

I expected the typical Marvel movie. Action, fantasy, humour...and magic But I have found too much gore and disturbing images. Doctor Strange is a surgeon, and in the beginning of the movie there are disturbing images on his daily job. There are sensitive people, even adults who panic at this when it comes to surgery images Then he has a car accident. And there are disturbing slow images, not the typical quickly scene of an accident. Then he is carried to hospital and more disturbing images. At last he is off his job and tries to get a heal to his injury. Then we go to the best part of the movie. The magic part. But when Mister Strange is stabbed we come back again and there appears more gore images and disturbing on the surgery. Then one of the main characters a bald woman is fatally injured with more disturbing and gore images in hospital I didn't expect this. It's more bearable gun shots and general fighting than disturbing images. All the fault to the director. There was no need of too much disturbing stuff on this movie
2 people found this helpful.

Mesmerizing and Trippy

This one stands out compared to all the other Marvel films out there. The way the movie visualizes Strange's powers and the powers of the SS is insane. The special effects are out of this world. So is the cast. They really couldn't have casted anyone better for Strange's character then Cumberbatch. Really. He is just that perfect! Although, I must say that this movie might be a little too intense and dark for younger viewers. But for older kids and adults, this is a surefire hit! Especially for Marvel fans!

1 person found this helpful.
good not to bloody decent pg-13 moive
This movie is great but pg 13

Love this movie

Amazing acting from the entire cast and the special effects are simply mind blowing and it keeps you highly entertained the whole way through.

I live and breath the MCU

The movie was awesome and it makes Dr. Strange one of the best heroes. The effects were awesome, and the acting is great. The only part I didn't like was the surgery scenes because I hate surgery one of the main reasons I don't watch doctor shows, but this is a great addition to the MCU.

Superb - but gory

I find a lot of MCU movies tedious, but Dr Strange is one for the ages. Cumberbatch is compelling in the lead role (though his American accent is terrible and unnecessary), and there are plenty of strong (mainly British) supporting actors. Strange’s character arc from arrogant surgeon to humble sorcerer is well done, and there’s a good deal of humour in it too (eg a wilful magical cloak). The world-bending sorcery resembles Inception, albeit easier to follow. Despite its virtues, though, I won’t be watching it with my 7yo any time soon. The car crash is horrific, there are quite a few scenes of surgery, and Mads Mikkelsen is full-on demented as the glittering-eyed baddie. Save it for tweens and teens-but do watch it!

Outstanding action thriller for family of pre-teens and older

12 and 13 year olds loved this movie. My wife and I did, too. It was similar to Agent Carter in regards to violence and fear-filled moments. Loved the lack of adult content and innuendoes. We could relax and enjoy it without getting distracted or having to pause to explain controversial topics.

Great