Parent reviews for Donnie Darko

Winningly edgy teen-angst sci-fi tragicomedy.

Adult Written byAllip707 June 21, 2018

Such a beauiful, artistic, and creative movie!

My daughter is 11 years old and her favorite movies are ones that require focus and inference to understand and there honestly aren’t many that are as clean as Donnie Darko. There is a lot of vulgar language, but not gratuitous or unmotivated. The violence is a little shocking. The romance is beautifully depicted, consensual, both sides extremely respectful of each other and very loving. Of course, you have to know your child. If vulgar language and scary voices/characters are upsetting to your kid in general they will not like it. If your child doesn’t like to feel confused and doesn’t want to “figure it out” they will not follow the subtle artistic nuances and probably find it dull. But if your kid enjoys that type of thing I think it’s a great movie to show them. Point out the use of imagery, the color pallets, the love and the mystery. It’s a great movie, my 11 year old thought it was amazing.
Parent of a 14-year-old Written byNotMorganFreeman August 5, 2019

Creepy. Edgy. Mysterious.

If your kids can handle watching Stranger Things, they can handle this.
Parent of a 13-year-old Written bymark33 April 14, 2019

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 21, 2015

Lives up to it’s name..

The film is a wonderful Sci-fi.. on the other hand, This film does get pretty dark.. And I also wouldn’t recommend this Film for younger children due to mostly Its strong language,(”mainly the F-words..") and questionable content. otherwise, a perfect fit for Mature teenagers..

Adult Written byTahitiZ May 13, 2013

A must watch... More than once !

Donnie Darko is a master piece, a puzzle for your mind, and mystery to unravel. If you like to be hypnotise and captivate by a movie so much that it will keep you awake to try to figure it out, well here is the holly grail.
Watch it and be amazed !

Adult Written byJWReviews June 3, 2020

If your child loves movies that will puzzle and trick your mind throughout the movie this is for you

The only bad part was there was a stream of like 30Fbombs some sexual talk and a satanic rabbit but if your child can Watch Stranger Things they can watch this

Adult Written byegfrg May 16, 2020

Quite a tame horror movie

This movie is scary but it is quite tame. They don't go in intense scenes. There are some violence that may freak young ones. I thought this movie was good but it isn't the best movie. There is really no good message/role models. PG-13: intense violence of creepy moments and mild crude scenes.

Adult Written byglitchglitch207 April 10, 2020

Donnie Darko encourages critical thinking and encourages the examined life

The violence is not that bad compared to what your kids are probably already seeing on the internet. It shows blood once in a dark theater where you can not see it well. A man is shot but nothing is shown of him or the woman run over. This movie would be great for teens who are struggling to find meaning, but maybe have a talk with them about the movie where you can really examine it with them

Adult Written byCoolidexter June 11, 2019

Donnie darko review

Great movie but should not be shown to someone who is in middle school. Meant for adults and teenagers with a graphic scene showing a busted eye and the scary bunny suit_

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byPercabeth4life April 22, 2019

Loved It, But not so good for younger kids

I love this movie, it's amazing. There is a scene where Donnie talks about thinking about having sex and starts to masterbate. Lots of swearing, but if your kids well adjusted, like my 11 year old, they won't mind the cursing. But over all an amazing movie, but its for younger teens.

Adult Written by_White_Rabbit_ November 6, 2015

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byastreetcarnameddave August 19, 2010
This movie is a must see for teens and their parents. Complex, thought provoking, and interesting, I recommend it for 14 year olds and older. A stream of about30 f--k's, a satanic rabbit, and a scene in which the main character masteurbates make it off for younger kids. The majority of intended viewers will lovethis film

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byKishor42 May 3, 2010

Worth watching

Its a good movie that helps parents to understand their teenager boys and girls,but I think we are in situation that demands kids to try to understand their parents.think we have gone so far trying to make them feel grown-up,courageous and self-reliant,at the same time,we did make them careless and selfish.need some media that will tell them that its not always your parents who has to tolerate everything just because you are a growing teenager,but its you who has to love and respect your parents,let alone"bich" them.

Adult Written bycopperzinc October 21, 2009

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14-year-old Written bythejokerspencil January 21, 2009

Mad World

Amazing you got to see it! Any questions just ask.