Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Donnie Darko

Winningly edgy teen-angst sci-fi tragicomedy.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byKishor42 May 3, 2010

Worth watching

Its a good movie that helps parents to understand their teenager boys and girls,but I think we are in situation that demands kids to try to understand their parents.think we have gone so far trying to make them feel grown-up,courageous and self-reliant,at the same time,we did make them careless and selfish.need some media that will tell them that its not always your parents who has to tolerate everything just because you are a growing teenager,but its you who has to love and respect your parents,let alone"bich" them.

Adult Written byTahitiZ May 13, 2013

A must watch... More than once !

Donnie Darko is a master piece, a puzzle for your mind, and mystery to unravel. If you like to be hypnotise and captivate by a movie so much that it will keep you awake to try to figure it out, well here is the holly grail. Watch it and be amazed !

Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 21, 2009

Mad World

Amazing you got to see it! Any questions just ask.
Adult Written byNoell S. January 5, 2018

Rated R for a reason

There is no way I would let my teens (15 or even 16) watch this movie. Within not even 45 minutes into the movie the F word was used so many times and talking about f**king girls and gang bangs..come on. This is not appropriate for 15 year olds. I had to turn the movie off myself and my kids weren't even present. Perhaps it's not my kind of entertainment but parents beware.

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 21, 2015

Lives up to it’s name..

The film is a wonderful Sci-fi.. on the other hand, This film does get pretty dark.. And I also wouldn’t recommend this Film for younger children due to mostly Its strong language,(”mainly the F-words..") and questionable content. otherwise, a perfect fit for Mature teenagers..

Adult Written by_White_Rabbit_ November 6, 2015

Adult Written bycopperzinc October 21, 2009

Parent of a 15 year old Written byastreetcarnameddave August 19, 2010
This movie is a must see for teens and their parents. Complex, thought provoking, and interesting, I recommend it for 14 year olds and older. A stream of about30 f--k's, a satanic rabbit, and a scene in which the main character masteurbates make it off for younger kids. The majority of intended viewers will lovethis film

Adult Written byAllip707 June 21, 2018

Such a beauiful, artistic, and creative movie!

My daughter is 11 years old and her favorite movies are ones that require focus and inference to understand and there honestly aren’t many that are as clean as Donnie Darko. There is a lot of vulgar language, but not gratuitous or unmotivated. The violence is a little shocking. The romance is beautifully depicted, consensual, both sides extremely respectful of each other and very loving. Of course, you have to know your child. If vulgar language and scary voices/characters are upsetting to your kid in general they will not like it. If your child doesn’t like to feel confused and doesn’t want to “figure it out” they will not follow the subtle artistic nuances and probably find it dull. But if your kid enjoys that type of thing I think it’s a great movie to show them. Point out the use of imagery, the color pallets, the love and the mystery. It’s a great movie, my 11 year old thought it was amazing.