Kid reviews for Donnie Darko

Winningly edgy teen-angst sci-fi tragicomedy.

Teen, 15 years old Written byEvan182 February 23, 2010

Donnie Darko

First I need to say.... This is my favorite movie. It is amazing..... Anyway parents need to know that this movie is not the most explicit r movie. But there is violence, a bunch of f bombs and teenage smoking and drinking. Parents check this out before your kids do.

Teen, 17 years old Written byDave's Picks January 22, 2016

A flawed masterpiece

Really commonsensemedia? 17+? I've seen pg-13 movies worse than this. Ok, now that that's out of the way, this is a great movie. One of my favorites, not without its flaws, the movie is extremely ambitious and requires multiple viewings to truly grasp. As far as content goes, there is very little violence or swearing, however there is sexual dialogue in a couple places, explicit but short.

Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2016

Common sense gives an over exagerated age rating...AGAIN

This is an absolutely brilliant movie. Read IMDb's parents guide if you're unsure.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMelloMelon June 4, 2010

Best movie I have even seen and ages 13 to older

This is my favorite movie ever. I think the over use of cussing is wrong, but it helps you to understand who Donnie is. A depressed teen. It's used to force a point not just there. A lot of people think that Frank the bunny is scary, personally if you are at least thirteen and watching the movie it won't scare you. I'm tweleve and didn't jump once and I love Frank. There was sexual reference but from my memory the only sign they were having sex was Donnie taking off his jacket while kissing the girl. That's it and they don't show anymore after that. Some paerents are very concerned with cursing and even though I agree I don't think it should stop anyone from watching this movie. It's just like movies with Go Ask Alice, great message, but because of drug use parents won't let kids watch it. You'd be amazed at what kids know when they're seven. (much worse than anything in this movie).

Teen, 15 years old Written byKejoin December 19, 2011

Mature and Smart Teenagers

I watched this movie, and I believe mature teenagers could handle it, though there is a lot that would probably go over their heads, and it makes you think, a lot. I'd recommend it for mature/smart teens. But otherwise, it's a really, really good film

Teen, 16 years old Written byxInsidiousx October 21, 2013

The Best Film. May be depressing to younger viewers

I had to consult my parents after this because i was wondering what the hell just went on, it is a bit iffy because the main character can be be a bit creepy at times. the ending may be a bit iffy for younger viewers, but apart from that....watch away! best film ever

Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag January 16, 2012

Arty, philosophical thriller is less violent than expected

"Donnie Darko" is a philosophical, arty thriller with science fiction elements, that will go beyond what most viewers are familiar with. It is a complex and also mysterious story about a boy who has visions about a man in a rabbit suit, that tells him what to do in order to avoid the end of the world. The movie is filled with excellent dialogues - especially in the director's cut, there is an interesting conversation about if an animal's life is worth less than a human's life or not. Also, the whole built-up tension and the philosophical plot is just great. Jake Gyllenhaal does a great job as the troubled teenager Donnie Darko. The ending leaves space for your own interpretation and the movie is a must-see for fans of independent cinema, surreal movies and fans of extraordinary films. Some people say this movie is quite creepy, i don't think so. No jump scenes, no scary athmosphere and no disturbing content. The movie is very dark, however. Frank may scare younger children. And younger children may find the supernatural and philosophic athmosphere scary, but it isn't. CSM says this movie is violent, but it is at the PG-13 level (one character gets shot in the eye, some blood.). And some violence not bloody. There is R-profanity and some sexual talk, no sex is seen. I think it is okay for children 13 and up.

Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2011

Ahhh

This movie is sooo COOL!!!
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2014

A cult classic mindbender, with alot of emotinal themes and depth,

now a movie about a 6 foot bunny rabbit and time travel does not sound like it has a great message in it, because it does, its shows how your kids really feel and act, this movie perfectly captures high school drama, it also teaches you to not be selfish and try to connect everything together to make it right, this movie is great, but it is defenitly NOT for a sensitive audience, the movie has alot of unexplained and weird mindbending scenes that have such a huge impact that it makes you think about how time can be bended, this could be for a 6th grader who really really understands mindbending technices and abilites

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 2, 2014

A mind twister, with interesting payoff

Here's the thing about "Donnie Darko:" there's a lot of external information you wouldn't know from the movie alone to give you a satisfying conclusion after the ending (and don't read CSM's description of it, they spoil the film!). I recommend using IMDb trivia, I found it very helpful. I did understand however that Donnie's time travel theory culminated in a butterfly effect, something that shows the genius of director/writer Richard Kelly's highly original script. Gyllenhaal shines bright as Donnie Darko, a kid you alternately root for and stare at in wonderment. He's a smart cookie alright...but what does he know that we don't? The movie stays two steps ahead of you, and I love it for that!

Teen, 17 years old Written byNOname123 November 27, 2016

Dark sci-fi thriller, pretty intense.

Very intense. Ages 12+

Teen, 14 years old Written bySuper Fangirl May 22, 2015

For mature and understanding individuals

This film is very enjoyable, but contains quite a bit of swearing, violence (such as shooting and people dying), sex refernces , and a main character with a paranoid schizophrenia. Donnie Darko is a mature film. It is also very confusing and isn't worth watching if you don't want to figure it out or watch the directors cut and/or the explanation. It deals with a the troubled Donnie whom is led out of his room by a boy in a rabbit suit called Frank who tells him the world is going to end, right before a jet engine falls on his house. He ends up doing various things that get the time out if tangent reality so 1. His girlfriend is alive 2. A pedophile stops doing what he does 3. Frank is alive and 4. Donnie is dead. It is very hard to explain, but basically there's a lot of dying, suggested things and general confusion with the plot. The confusing plot based on theory of time travel, alternate realities and strange visions and connection alone makes the movie hard to watch for younger audiences, but it is very enjoyable if you are mature enough to understand it, appreciate it and are not affected by its dark themes and innapropriateness. There is also some gore when Frank's eye gets shot and you see it all bloody when he takes his helmet off. This film is fantastic but mature, so parents it may be better to watch it before showing it to your children, it all depends on their maturity, so take care.

Kid, 12 years old May 12, 2015

Weird sci fi horror drama

Unlike the CSM review, I am going to warn you that my review contains SPOILERS! Donnie Darko is in my opinion one of the best films of all time. It is about a disturbed and rebellious teenager who is friends with an imaginary giant bunny rabbit who makes him do some terrible things. I know it might sound like a kiddie film but it isn't very good for average young kids. The movie has Donnie (the main character, a teenager) drinking Alcahol, taking drugs, flooding his school, burning down someone's house, having sex and ultimately killing someone, however he does this to prevent the end of the world, which raises some questions of whether this is right and wrong. He ultimately does the right thing though, and sacrifices himself to save the universe. It is a very deep and complex movie, if your child doesn't understand it, don't worry, not many people do.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySiliconBean January 29, 2010

Not exactly the most uplifting, but still worth your time

Donnie Darko is personally one of my favorites, but I do have to warn viewers that it definitely leaves you with a very empty feeling and you're kind of left staring at the screen for a few minutes after it ends. I love its discussion of fear and love and metaphysics.

Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 July 22, 2013

one word Amazing

Personally this is my second favorite movie. It might not appeal to everyone though due to it's rather confusing story that may be hard to follow. It does contain language mainly used by Donnie's friends, and sometimes Donnie and it is sometimes used sexually. There is scene where Donnie kisses a girl and they begin the undress and she takes off her jacket they kiss and the scene ends so nothing really bad. There is some violence, but it is pretty mild R in terms of violence. A teen snorts cocaine but this is very brief and you don't really see the cocaine. I think a mature 11 can handle this even though they might not understand it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCheshire_Kitty16 July 9, 2018

A hauntingly beautiful film that really makes you think.

The reason why I love Donnie Darko so much is because it really makes you think, when you watch it the first time you might not understand it thoroughly but as soon as it ends you often start piecing things together. A great film although it might be disturbing for younger viewers as the main character’s ‘friend’ is a creepy almost robot like bunny called Frank. Donnie is seen as having schizophrenia though it is somewhat unclear if he truly suffers from this mental illness. It also is quite disturbing as Donnie is truly intelligent but he is troubled by many things and his parents nor his teachers really understand him. He vandilises a statue and burns a building which might send the wrong messages to young viewers but older viewers will understand that this is just because he is suffering. There is also a scene at the end where Donnie shoots Frank (without the mask), this explains the guy who appears earlier in the film with only one eye. This film would be suitable for mature preteens and teens who enjoy films that challenge them to be thoughtful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCRITIC007 December 11, 2009
This is in the top 3 of my favorite movies of all time. The acting is soo realistic and even the bad language adds to the authenticity of the film. The film has angst, sci fi, sacrifice, religion and coming of age all rolled into one. The ending is so mind bending it hurts! this is a movie that you will need to watch more than once to appreciate the many ways that this film can be interpreted.

Kid, 2 years old December 18, 2013

eh.its fine.

Donnie darko is about this teenager is getting visions from his imaginary friend,Frank the bunny telling him that in a certain time the world is going to end. Now a thing about Frank the bunny is that he will scare little kids.Also there is a lot of language and sex.

Kid, 10 years old July 21, 2013

DONNIE DARKO

a genius plot, an amazing ending, and a stunning twist. Donnie Darko, is a fantastic movie which stays with you for a long time.
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2019

Angsty teens and weird adults alike will love this

Donnie Darko demands a lot from its audience. You have to be smart to like this movie. It deals with complex, confusing subjects like time travel. Despite this, it still manages to entertain you through its dark humor and interesting characters. It will make you laugh, cry, and question reality as you know it.