Kid reviews for Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Poster Image

Don’t listen to the guy who said a 13 year old will not understand it Mature Preteens & Teens Are On

It’s largely Appropriate for a teenage audience especially extremely mature preteens. Younger kids looking for a gentle horror movie will not find this one in Donnie Darko, they’re better of watching Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of the were rabbit but extremely mature preteens & teens will take this movie for a ride.
2 people found this helpful.

Amazing movie with some creepy scenes

Donnie Darko is, in my opinion, a masterpiece, the movie is about a creepy rabbit named Frank that tells the main character (Donnie Darko) that the world will end in 28 days., sounds crazy, but they executed this movie perfectly. This movie, for a horror movie is actually quite tame. The whole movies Atmosphere is creepy but its not HALLOWEEN 1978 level. The only creepy things is the fact the Frank appears out of nowhere, Frank looks creepy and his voice is depressing, but he is only in six scenes which last for about two minutes. The movie is quite gory but nothing a young teen can't handle, the swearing is constant, There is no proper violence or murder until the final act which is one of the creepiest scenes in the movie. The movie doesn't have any sex or nudity other than pictures of women in bikinis in Donnies bedroom and a scene where Donnie and his girlfriend make out on his bed, but there is no nudity. Overall, perfect movie, would recommend, great acting, a bit creepy and a confusing and mind-bending ending which will stay with you for weeks after watching it.

1 person found this helpful.

Awesome film

This review contains spoilers! Starting off with the age rating, I believe 17+ is too high for this film. It is rated 15 on most of the dvds I'm pretty sure, which is more of an appropriate age. I personally believe this film should be okay for mature pre-teens and up. This film is more of a slightly unsettling sci-fi than a horror, however some people may find it disturbing, but there is nothing too extreme in it. In terms of mental health mentions, the main character donnie appears to be diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic however we don't know if he actually has schizophrenia or the psychiatrist/therapist(?) misdiagnosed him due to him being able to communicate with the manipulated dead (frank) and causing them to believe he was experiencing grandiose delusions which is often seen in people diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Mental illness may be a topic you have not spoken about properly to your child/teen, but it is not usually a triggering topic. Violence is evident in the film, but nothing too extreme. A girl gets hit by a car, but no/little to no blood is shown, frank gets shot in the eye and you see the wound, but it is not too gory, donnie also gets a knife put to his throat by a classmate, but nothing happens and the classmate leaves. There is also little sexual content. Donnie and two other boys talk in slight detail about smurfs having group sex, but this is for comedic affect and is just a funny scene. Donnie and his girlfriend make out on a bed but they either did not have sex, or it cuts to the scene after, not showing anything. During a therapy session donnie puts his hands in his trousers while talking about a girl he met, but is stopped before he does anything. This movie is difficult to understand and is supposed to confuse you, so kids or teens probably wont understand the film unless they put in extensive research, but it is not necessary to do so. Swearing is in the film, but realistically pre-teens and teens will hear swearing everywhere in real life, they probably do it themselves so its not a massive issue. But if you want to know, there is 25 uses of the f word in the film, a little girl (around 9-10 probably) asks "what's a fuck-ass", this is for comedic affect though. Also donnie calls his mum a bitch. Alcohol/drugs/smoking: brief scene of character using cocaine, teen boys smoke. Theres probably more but I forgot, imdb parents guide on donnie darko will probably go into more detail on this. Disturbing or frightening scenes. Going back to the violence part, you see frank with a damaged eye which is pretty graphic but nothing too bad. Frank might be a bit scary looking for your kids idk, mainly because his voice is a bit creepy. The movie makes you think about the meaning of reality and deep stuff like that. A characters mother was supposedly stabbed to death by the stepfather, but its nothing onscreen, just told by the girl. The scene where the plane jet crashes into donnie is a bit sudden and may be kinda jumpscare ish. I would recommend looking on imdb parents guide for donnie darko as it'll probably tell you stuff I forgot. Also this movies awesome I highly recommend watching.

Amazing film

Brilliant film- swearing, no violence other than a scene where you see someone who has been shot in the eye (you don't see them getting shot), and one scene where a guy gets shot and literally no blood. Swearing, a minor character is revealed to be a pedophile but it's only mentioned. Not really very innapropriate- but quite confusing so I can imagine younger ages wouldn't understand it really.
SO GOOD!!!! 12 and up if u ask me
tbh i found it more funny than scary
I dont actually think that this is ages 2 and u i just think it should be not 14+ cuz there is no violence or sex

Tame for a Rated R movie. This film is a must watch.

Bro what are these CSM age ratings lmfao. The film is very tame for a rated R movie and the only reason its rated R is because of the cursing. There is some sex talk and violence but nothing you wouldn't get out of a PG-13 movie.

Meh

Over time I've noticed that confusing movies are sometimes so offbeat that people define them as profound. This is one of those movies. It is possible for a viewer to uncover and understand the broad message sought to be portrayed by the filmmaker; a) the inconsistency and obscurity of time and life as a whole, and b) the reality of living with schizophrenia and of not being able to trust your own mind and perception. The way this message is portrayed, however, is a jumble of unrelated events that leave viewers rightfully confused. It's a fine piece of cinema, but not one that I would watch again.

Meh

This movie was really well made. The plot can be kind of hard, so probably not easy to comprehend for younger kids. Great acting from Gyllenhaal.