Parent reviews for Don't Breathe

Don't Breathe Poster Image

Cleverly designed, intense thriller has strong violence, language and some sexual material

Don’t Breathe follows 3 friends attempting to pull a heist on a blind mans home, to realize things are not as they seem. Things turn bloody, intense and scary as the friends scatter to escape his deadly grasp while uncovering disturbing secrets from within his home. VIOLENCE: SEVERE A man attempts to poison another man sleeping in his bed, but fails. A man is suddenly pinned against a wall and choked before being shot through the bottom of his head. An up-close shot of blood spraying against the wall and through his teeth are shown before he slumps to the floor. His body is shown getting picked up and dragged away later, revealing a blood pool. Guns are shot frequently throughout, but not many shots hit. A woman is shown chained up with a mask over her face. She is let free. A man suddenly shoots another man in the ear (blood sprays up-close) before several more shots are fired offscreen. After we hear the shots, we see a woman shot through the cheek while wearing a mask, with blood pouring out of the hole and under the mask. A man is suddenly grabbed by the neck and choked violently before he shakes off the attacker. A woman falls down a chute or vent and lands on her head. She is okay, but this is intense. A man is attacked by a dog, and flies through a window and onto glass. The glass is shot, and he falls through landing on the floor. 2 men fight brutally. One man has his face smashed on a toilet, a counter and a heater before he is beaten to the ground and punched in the face violently until his face is very bloody. The attacker then picks up a large pair of shears and stabs into a body part up-close. This scene is intense and graphic. A woman is grabbed and pulled out of a vent before getting violently punched in the face. A woman is hung up to the ceiling like an animal while a man attempts to impregnate her with a turkey baster. A man is suddenly beaten on the head with a hammer offscreen. We see some blood spray onto a woman’s face. A woman is kicked and attacked on the floor before getting cuffed up. A man is suddenly shot to death, spraying out blood before he falls to the ground and dies. Shocking and quite bloody. A woman is attacked and dragged on the street. A man and woman fight as the man fires countless shots around the room shattering objects before the woman violently beats his head with a crowbar repeatedly, sending him down into the basement and leaving him in critical condition. He is seen later with an oxygen mask on. Most, if not all of the violence in the film is seen in dim lighting, which makes a small fraction of the violence hard to see, however this doesn’t make it less graphic. Despite all of this, Don’t Breathe is not as violent or bloody as it’s sequel Don’t Breathe 2. LANGUAGE: SEVERE Around 40 uses of “f*ck” and some uses of “sh*t”, “p*ssy” and others. The language in this film is quite strong throughout. SEXUAL CONTENT: MODERATE A man is shown peeing on the floor of a house while making a jerking motion. It is possible he was masturbating however it is most likely he was peeing. A sexual reference to jerking off along with a reference to oral sex with a brief hand motion. It is heavily implied a woman was impregnated with a turkey baster, and it is said she held the mans baby. In a disturbing scene, a man uses a pair of scissors to cut into a woman’s pants while she is being hung on the ceiling. After this, he approaches a thermos, which he opens to reveal semen. He sucks the semen into a turkey baster with very up close shots of the semen. He approaches her and puts the turkey baster near her crotch before he is interrupted and she is saved. After this, the woman shoves the turkey baster into the mans mouth and he coughs and spits out his own semen. This is a disturbing, and pretty graphic scene despite the woman being saved. OVERALL: 13+ for strong violence, disturbing content and images, language throughout and some sexual material

Really nice thriller

Simple and yet very on-point, this is a nice thriller and suspense movie. There are a lot of very conservative reviews in here, but in reality it’s all working very well for what is intended. Nice one!

Aful

Discussing horrible

Horror fan but...

This movie was amazing in more ways than one. The story line was fantastic and the movie was well put together and really makes you feel the darkness surrounding the story. However... For all the movies like this I have watched this one messed me up. The way he tried to impregnate was barbaric to me. It's amazing what small things can bother you but this was one of them for me.

Shocking thriller for adults— TW (trigger warnings) for violence, kidnapping, sexual assault, etc.

We use this website to get brief synopsis’ of movies/TVs, and know the very specific types of “trigger warnings” or flagged content in them... I WISH THE WARNINGS/REVIEWS OF THIS MOVIE HAD BEEN MORE CLEAR!!! While it’s portrayed as a typical thriller where a bunch of kids who break into a house to steal an old man’s money, end up facing him in a heart pounding pursuit of trying to survive and escape after they’re found out and pretty much hunted by this blind former-marine, the violence goes beyond the typical: one by one the kids are faced with various types of horror, between the man’s dog attacking them, being shot at, stabbed, etc. it gets VERY violent: blood splatter, people getting shot in the face, teens being practically tortured, and towards the end there is a huge plot twist, where... (!!! SPOILERS— DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE PLOT TWIST/END BEING SPOILED) ... the viewers are revealed the horrifying realization that the man who’s house they had broken into, and who had been trying to kill them, has a young woman tied up in his basement, blindfolded and in chains, and pregnant! It’s learned that the house owner had kept her in there for an extensive period of time, and through the act of forced insemination from a turkey baster, the kidnapped woman was sexually assaulted and forced to become pregnant with her capture’s baby. This is not meant to be seen by children/teens, and anyone triggered by rape/sexual assault/kidnapping should also steer clear. Unfortunately, I was under the impression that the extent of violence in this film was just in the plot twist of the hunters becoming the hunted (and the burglars becoming prey), and was completely unaware of the EXTENT of violence, gore, in-your-face violence and blood, pop-out scares, heart pounding suspense, and reference to kidnapping/sexual torture that was shown. As expected, strong language is used throughout (including variations of the F-word) and some nudity. Pretty much anything inappropriate you can imagine aside from heavy drug use is shown. Please be aware of what you are watching before watching it... in my opinion, this film is NOT for the light-hearted and DEFINITELY NOT for young teens/children. Any adults that could be disturbed by this content, or with various forms of PTSD (as I have) should also steer clear.

I don't think anyone, even 18+ should see this

Let me start off by saying that I tend to find the reviews on this site a bit conservative. I check it to make sure that there won't be some really embarrassing nude scene or similar that I wouldn't want to watch with my kids. They have seen plenty of R-rated films and are perfectly upstanding members of society. My daughter is a horror movie fan and had wanted to see "Don't Breathe" for awhile. The one time I didn't check this site, but checked Rotten Tomatoes instead, where it has a high score. So we were completely caught off guard for the rapey plot twist that comes about in this movie. I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone, even adults. Sexual assault is not entertaining under any circumstances, and especially disturbing to watch with your kids. I'm really surprised at all the good reviews for this movie, even otherwise as the characters were not well-developed and had tons of plot holes.

I think more thought should have been put into it. The plot was kind of stupid. Usially I like horror flims. Robbing the blind man was one thing and him defending his property I though that part was good but when you got off that and went to ok this girl is going to give me a baby because my daughter was muddered is insane and gross at the same time. He could have used some other type of revenge

DONT BREATHE IS THE WORST MOVIE EVEEERRRRRRR!!!!!

Awwesome

This is an adult movie not for minor kids