Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Don't Breathe

Brilliantly designed thriller weakened by heavy violence.

Adult Written bySarah S. September 6, 2016

WARNING FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!

I recently went to go see don't breathe, I was excited! But halfway through the movie I lost interest the movie contained nothing but baby jump scares, the only thing that really got me was the dog in the beginning. That's All. But near the end of the movie I wanted to throw up and go into a corner and cry(upon which I did when I got home), near the end it shows a very GRAPHIC scene where the old man tends to "rape" the main character. Let me tell anyone out there for anyone who is triggered by that kind of stuff DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE! All in all it was awful and I think it's absolutely horrible that this is the first producer that has ever in horror movie history( unless it's a comedy) acted upon serious intent to place such a triggering, horrible, and graphic scene in a horror movie! I was disgusted and started to cry; it was flat out awful and I am for sure never going to see any of the movies made in the future by this director. EVER! It's definitely in the negatives for me and I wish I had seen another movie instead.
Parent Written bychuggaconroyj August 27, 2016

Too Over The Top

This movie has 3 main problems Violence: ok this movie was real violent at some points Death 1. Money he gets shot in the face and it shows his jaw busting out and blood splaatters on the wall as his girlfriend watches in horror lasts about 10 seconds Death 2. SPOILER ALERT Cindy or what's her name girl got kidnapped because she killed the blind man's daughter but she accidentially got shot in the mouth and blood is seen pouring down her face. Death 3. Alex he gets shot in the back finally after he is tortured throughout the whole full movie. Language: has many f bombs Sex: a disturbing sex scene involving the blind taking a turkey baster nearly forcing it into a girls hooha after cutting her leggings off and she is chained up and she screams to be let go and struggles and then is released and then she shoves the baster into his mouth

Adult Written byJane D. August 28, 2016

Very intense and lots of grown up subject matter

This movie would usually intrigue me as someone who is a big Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone fan, however, it falls into the category of horror for me. Women kept prisoner, teens smoking, other adults that are not good role models, and the murder of an animal were all over the top for me. Not to mention the value of entitlement that is being taught in the movie. No way would I let most children seen this movie. I saw it with a group of girlfriends opening night and I wish I would not have wasted my money.

Adult Written byCharlietheunicorn99 September 6, 2016

Fantastic film, but take caution

This movie is a very intense film. After 20 minutes, the remainder of the film is suspense. The violence is realistic and bloody (but not to the point of being corny) and is enough to make even adults cringe. The language is prevalent throughout as these characters are being stalked by a blind man who's trying to kill them. Finally, the sexual content is too much for younger audiences because a man tries to impregnate a woman against her will with a turkey baster filled with his semen. If your child has been through sex ed, then it should be okay; but if they haven't entered high school yet, then don't even attempt. This movie is not for kids at all. Regardless of that, it's a fantastic film. The plot is coherent, the characters are believable, and the special effects are really well done. Highly recommend this movie to 15+

Adult Written bySam Marrick August 28, 2016

Relentless.

The director surely knows how to use, space, sound and timing to maximum effect! He uses every trick in the house to create a thrill wothout any of it feeling forced. The 2 real main Character motivations are compelling too and offer murky moral dilemmas. The protagonists arent (completely) stupid either, but the Blind man is Smarter. It has more endings than Return of the King yet it just adds to the thrills. Not overtly gory but bruttaly violent. A charcter shot at point blank range in slow motion with blood pooling under him. A face wound under banages gushes before the victim crumples to the ground. An upper chest wound spurts blood. A brutal beatdown in a shed leaves a charcter swollen and bloody. Hammer strikes to head cause blood to spurt. A bullet to the side causes some blood to pool. One scene (a quasi rape) is very unconfortable and may have went over the line a bit and ends with the baster full of semen gagged in the attackers throat spurting about. There is an oral sex reference and around 30 f words.
Adult Written byEric H. August 27, 2016

Not as bad as you think

Common sense has a tendency to go overboard with some of their reviews. This is a very good movie that teens of the horror genre should really enjoy, and its no worse than sinister or the conjuring. I would reccomend age 15 if your kid is familiar with horror, 16 if their just getting started.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byJenny S. August 27, 2016

It's really good, and perfectly fine for kids 15 and over

Honestly I would never let a 12,13 year old see it but if your kid it mature and doesn't get scared of horror movies then I would say it's perfectly fine for 15 and up. In my opinion it is no worse then sinister and some of the other horror movies. I hope this review helps!
Adult Written byWorldsStrictestMoM September 3, 2016

Better than I expected, Could do with smarter characters, but overall a good movie.

Don't Breathe definitely exceeded my expectations. While I went into the theatre expecting the typical 'jumpscare horror' I left genuinely suspended. I won't spoil the movie, but I can say this; The movie is suitable for younger teens. I, being a (not-so) young, impressionable person-could've seen this movie at 12 or 13 and not had been affected. The violence is minor compared to movies such as saw, and the language is not exactly child-friendly, I do believe that that shouldn't hinder you from at least considering watching the movie. If not, then I will respectfully agree to disagree :) • Language- 3/5 Violence- 3/5 Sexual content and Nudity- 2/5 Drugs and Alcohol- 2/5

Parent of a 12 year old Written byClint B. October 4, 2016

Awwesome

This is an adult movie not for minor kids

Parent Written byEllie R. August 28, 2016

It was so good

I think it was violence but I think it's good for at 12 year olds and up can see it. The reason why it's rated R is because of the violence and a little language and if ur child is mature I think they would be fine!

Adult Written byParsa L. September 5, 2016

Read this

This movie is really good. I am a worried parent that didn't allow my child to see it. I went and saw it and it was fine. I honestly was worried about my 14 year old child seeing it but I think people over exaggerated on the rating. I am a worried parent too so this is from someone who saw iy.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byJill A. April 14, 2018

I don't think anyone, even 18+ should see this

Let me start off by saying that I tend to find the reviews on this site a bit conservative. I check it to make sure that there won't be some really embarrassing nude scene or similar that I wouldn't want to watch with my kids. They have seen plenty of R-rated films and are perfectly upstanding members of society. My daughter is a horror movie fan and had wanted to see "Don't Breathe" for awhile. The one time I didn't check this site, but checked Rotten Tomatoes instead, where it has a high score. So we were completely caught off guard for the rapey plot twist that comes about in this movie. I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone, even adults. Sexual assault is not entertaining under any circumstances, and especially disturbing to watch with your kids. I'm really surprised at all the good reviews for this movie, even otherwise as the characters were not well-developed and had tons of plot holes.
Adult Written bybaylee w. December 20, 2016
DONT BREATHE IS THE WORST MOVIE EVEEERRRRRRR!!!!!
Adult Written byMargaret M. October 1, 2017

I think more thought should have been put into it. The plot was kind of stupid. Usially I like horror flims. Robbing the blind man was one thing and him defending his property I though that part was good but when you got off that and went to ok this girl is going to give me a baby because my daughter was muddered is insane and gross at the same time. He could have used some other type of revenge