Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Quirky, aged-up adventure has positive messages.

Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written byJBnPTsMom August 8, 2019

Fun movie to watch with big kids who grew up watching the cartoon version as little's.

Super cute movie with a good amount of humor for kids of all ages. Fun for big kids that grew up watching the Dora and Diego cartoons. Main characters are 16 years old now and in high school so they struggle with fitting in and all that being a teen in high school entails. Some light potty humor and the use of the term mating as pertains to animal and human relationships. A great adventure and decent movie for the whole family. Some scary scenes for the very young - but all ends well. Big on the importance of family and friends.

Adult Written byqueencat August 22, 2019

For Any Age

The movie is much better than the show. Some mild inappropriate humor in the movie, but nothing a child would understand. There were guns in the movie that were never used, you could see characters holding them in some scenes. Arrows were shot at the teenagers but missed and hit trees, logs and one of the teenagers juice boxes. I don’t think any scenes were frightening for children especially when compared to movies like Tangled, Up, Brave, Lion King and so on. Would let any age child watch. I think targeted audience is probably 5-7. Very cute ending. Dora stays herself through-out the movie (extremely child-like for a teenager) despite being teased, and everyone joins in with her childish singing and dancing at the end and seems not to care about being “cool teenagers”.

Adult Written bygreenchemist August 19, 2019

Great family movie!

As a mom who has seen way too many Dora episodes, I brought my 3 and 4 year old out to watch it. Despite it being live action, they both sat and watched the whole movie! They incorporate enough of the cartoon into the movie for it to still be "Dora" to the kids and enough humor to keep the adults chuckling.
Dora is a great role model. Smart, friendly, confident - she doesn't care what others think of her.
Entertaining throughout. A couple potentially scary scenes where the teenagers are kidnapped and later are chased by the bad guys, guns are pointed at the main characters, and a short scene where Dora uses a yo-yo to fight a bad guy and knock him out.
One scene where jungle plants cause them to hallucinate - the kids loved getting to see the Dora cartoon and the drug effects were completely over their head. As a parent, I thought it was funny and hinted to the kids that the jungle is full of dangerous things.

Adult Written byC77 August 13, 2019

Fun entertaining kids movie

Surprisingly good family movie. Our 9 year old as well as the adults really enjoyed it. It's packed full of action, adventure, comedy, and life lessons. I don't know if really young kids will enjoy, but I think kids who are a little older and watched Dora as a young child will enjoy. There is talk of "mating" but not inappropriately, and a man is seen naked from behind, but it's after he turns into a cartoon character.
Adult Written byLeebaby95 August 12, 2019

Loved it!

Fun script, great performances!

Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byJose V. August 11, 2019

Entertaining and silly!

I thought the movie was fun and had enough slapstick and silliness to keep the kids and the parents chuckling throughout without going overboard. The same could be said with the action. There's just enough that it isn't too much for the little ones.

Buena la pelicula!

Parent Written byGiraffenoises August 11, 2019

Somewhat positive portrayal of a homeschool family, somewhat not

The movie was surprisingly fun for parents as well as 8 & 10 yo kids. Spoliers: In terms of potty humor, (literally) there is a whole scene about a character not wanting to poop in the jungle but nothing inappropriate is shown. The characters inhale spores from a plant that cause them to hallucinate and turn into the cartoon versions of themselves. After a character turns into a cartoon, he yells "freedom" and runs away naked so you see a cartoon behind. When they later come out from the effects of the spores , he wakes up under a blanket embarrassed. The one "sexy stuff" thing CSM left out is there are 2 scorpions that Dora thinks are fighting, then she realizes they are "mating" and Diego gets embarrassed and asks her to stop saying "mating".
For the homeschoolers - They mention Dora has been homeschooled for 10 years by her professor parents and has spent all of her time alone in the jungle. Her parents send her to "the city" to "make friends" because they need to go on an expedition. At public high school (with metal detectors, bullies, etc.), Dora is shown as well educated and socially innocent, but not totally inept. She is out of place and labelled a "dork", and while she knows it, she deliberately doesn't change to fit in. While Dora being different makes things difficult for Diego (who has been a city kid for a while and is not one of the "cool" kids), he stands by her because she's family. At the end, Dora chooses to return to friends/ public high school instead of staying in the jungle with her parents. It is portrayed as solely her choice, and her parents comically boo-hoo about it.
Adult Written byBrumby August 25, 2019

Dora-wins a gold medal

You will enjoy this fascinating adventure.
About the right length and unassuming.
It is an action-packed story with dynamic turns along the road.
Light and cheerful, good casting, fitting screenplay, funny characters and a friendship tone underlying its fabric. Really positive.
The children will be passionately inspired when they view this.

Definitely worth seeing a second time!

Adult Written by12Jcochran August 23, 2019

Family really enjoyed this movie!

This movie was everything you could hope for in a story of a childhood cartoon character growing up in a "real world". Happy, innocent, funny, and reminiscent of beloved "Dora"!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byJennyjenny25 August 20, 2019

It's Dora. So yes, it's silly and childish, but fun.

A fun movie for the family.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byKill Bill vol .1 August 13, 2019

Oof

Dora the Explorer was my childhood, as I had some fond memories watching it as a toddler. When I saw this movie being announced, it seemed like something I'd want to watch. And it was fun in some aspects. Different kinds of jokes and gags pertaining to the original series (such as the song references and fourth wall breaks) were very enjoyable and unique. But other than that, the movie was below subpar. Most of the characters were one dimensional with little to no development, the plot was predictable and bland, and the romance was horrendously shoved in. Basically take away everything Dora related in this movie and you have a badly executed Jumanji try hard. As for age ratings, this movie is a family movie, with barely any curse words, and mild violence/thematic elements. (I do in fact am glad this movie is family friendly, although I expected it to be more edgier since the generation that grew up with Dora would've been mid-late teens and early 20s.) Overall, would recommend for mega fans of Dora, but even if you grew up watching Dora you may be disappointed.
Adult Written byIsopqo May 24, 2019