Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Downfall

Provocative look at Hitler's last days is extremely violent.

Adult Written bysikharing November 4, 2016

Depressing, yet excellent

Despite being showered by the parodies, this movie could maintain it's value, learning that war is hell. Also, we see how the war goes, and people learn from it.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 11, 2014

A glimpse of an evil mind deteriorating

Hannibal Lector. The Joker. Norman Bates. All iconic cinematic villains...but all three combined still don't come close to the real life tyranny and unspeakable horror committed by Adolph Hitler. How do you show the worst man who ever lived in anything but a negative light? My problem isn't how they portrayed the man, Bruno Ganz did that quite well though. The hostile unpredictability, that swaggering godlike air he had of himself, a remarkably ugly arrogance. Yes, he's nice to people in the movie, but historically Hitler was a charming man...how else would he have gained his people's loyalty? While you'd probably have to be a hardcore history buff to know exactly what's going on in all the political strategizing that occurs while Hitler slowly descends into a state of disgust and disbelief. Some scenes though, including the horrific scene with the mother and her children could've been cut significantly, there was absolutely no point in showing us that much. It's realistically gory, bloody violence that happened at the very end of World War 2. History-loving older high schoolers will appreciate it.

Adult Written bySTEVE K. May 25, 2018

Let Us Decide how to interpret history.

Downfall is the best Nazi story told. I lived in Germany as a kid [although not German], and my father was a keen historian. I was lucky in my life to see history not from any political bias. When I watch Downfall, it tells of the fall a political machine that succumbed to madness and desperation. It told very well why these people were mesmerized by Hitler, and explains why they followed him to the end. Fear, which was kept Hitler in power. I like it because it does not have a Hollywood spin and try to portray the principal character's to how history want's us to see them, but more as they were. The moments of calm in between the insanity, or the party in amongst the bombings convey exactly what need's to be said. My gripe with written history, is that the writers are usually painting the scene with their own flavour of morality and in the process, cloaking the reality of the event. Downfall is a must view for anyone with an interest in this piece of history. Bruno Ganz portrayed Hitler brilliantly in fact, the best I have ever seen.