Parent reviews for Dr. Dolittle (1998)

This gimmicky animal tale is crude but funny.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byHGlomer79 February 4, 2011

Additional language used in movie but not mentioned.

Another word that is used frequently but not mentioned in the language section of the review is "A$$". The word "[email protected]" was also used.

Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byLonghornmom August 4, 2009

better for kids over 10 with the language

The language in this movie is not appropriate for 8+, as indicated. We watched this movie and were very surprised by the language. The Sh word at least once, I believe "Hel." and "Da.." a couple of times and Ass was said multiple times, so it was hard to justify that it would just go over their heads. I did not realize this movie was PG-13 since the review recommended 8+. I don't know why movies that would otherwise be good family movies have to have inappropriate language. It was not the worst ever, but just not appropriate and necessary so I agree with a rating closer to at least 10 or 11 and up!

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byamyhotel June 28, 2011

Bad language Alert

Common Sense Media and Reviewer Ed Grant completely ignored the bad language in this film as a flag and frequent use of a** was not in the review. It is irresponsible to add curse words to a family film, totally unnecessary!

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byLupak January 3, 2013

PG-13?!?!

I expected way more out of this movie. Few laugs but otherwise, terrible movie. Should be PG for extremely infrequent comic innuendo, and brief mild language

Adult Written byLowe's man January 19, 2017

Artistic quality decent; movie itself a mixed bag.

This was not a musical and was not meant to be a musical. That makes the artistic quality better than the original, as the original was a pseudomusical and couldn't make up its mind as to whether it wanted to be a musical or a nonmusical. This version doesn't have that problem. Those expecting something close to Hugh Lofting's books will be disappointed and perhaps disillusioned. I, for one, was mildly disappointed. For example, in the original, which captured the flavor of the books, the title character was a bachelor. In this version he's married and has a family. In this version he lived in the United States, unlike the original, where he lived in England. I would also recommend that parents hold off on this until their children are 11, given the rather heavy reliance on toilet humor. (Even 11 might be generous, as opposed to 12.) The bright spot comes at the end, when, having long ignored the calling to be a veterinarian, he answered it.
Adult Written bymiame July 9, 2012

Language was a bit more than I remembered

I love this movie, but totally forgot about the language. I believe that just about every curse word except the F bomb is uttered by someone. My little guy watched and loved it but we had to talk about how some words are inappropriate.

Adult Written byKarrie21 September 5, 2012

Disappointing

This movie had the chance to be funny and family friendly. Instead all of the crude humor gets in the way of any positive message that might have gotten through. The butt jokes are endless.

Adult Written bymaxevancooper December 14, 2015