All parent member reviews for Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!

Adult Written byrubylarkin April 9, 2008

disappointing

I realize that a book to film adaptation requires some "poetic license" but,to me, this was too much. My five year old was confused about what was happening in many scenes, especially Horton's determined trek to the top of the mountain. Horton turns into a japanese super hero...give me a break!! I overlooked the fact that Jim Carrey played Horton and I wished I hadn't. It's all about Jim Carrey... as usual. The vulture was scarry to my children.. and was there actually vulture in the book? I was hoping for sweet and innocent and got...very disappointing.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycrystalp April 9, 2008

Okay

I took my 5 and 7 year old children to see this movie, they enjoyed it, but I thought the movie had some inappropriate things for a G movie. I didn't appreciate the sarcasm from the characters and the way the mother kangaroo treated her child. I don't remember that being in the book, I think they took it too far. It was an okay movie, I won't buy it and I don't think it was worth the money I paid to see it.
Parent Written bymom2twogirls1boy July 24, 2009

Perfect for older kids, but not preschoolers.

This movie was ful of action, however I was unimpressed with the language for my daughters (4 and 20 months). While I was up and down chasing my 20 month old around (the movie definitely did not hold her attention after the first 20 minutes), I caught the use of the word "idiot" at least seven times before losing count. The word "boob" was also described in a degrading manner either to someone and/or about them. These are not words I would encourage my 4 year old to use. Also, some of the characters are menacing, scary, and downright rude, and my 4 year old hid her eyes several times throughout.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bySugarMamaJ June 15, 2011

Bad language

Over all, I was happy with the movie and my 3 and a half year old loves it. My biggest concern is foul language. The main review refers to it as "mild insults" but I think it's worse than that. The mayor is called a "boob", a "moron", and an "idiot". "Shut up" is also used. Those words are used repeatedly and it was the first time my son had heard those words. We hadn't even had the "bad word" discussion until he saw the movie. I had no other reservations about it though and I do let him watch it when he wants as long as I don't hear him repeating those words.
Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byDebbie Nash August 22, 2010

I thought the language used by many of the characters was inappropriate for a 4 year old. We dont use "stupid" or "idiot" for example. Not great for role modeling.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byyogamomma February 13, 2010

Read the book instead

We watched this with our four year old and couldn't stand it. He didn't like it either. The language and attitudes are mean and spiteful. The "lynching" scene is just horrible and quite frightening for little ones. Read the book instead!
Adult Written bymoviemadness August 12, 2011

Watch out for the Homeschooling Slam!

Horton Hears a Who is a brilliant adaptation of a classic kids book with one glaringly inappropriate feature: the homeschooling slam. The Kangaroo who "pouch-schools" her joey is portrayed as close minded, zealously trying to do harm, nasty, and arrogant. Homeschooling, is, therefore given this bent. As an adult homeschool graduate (and as a person) I find it extremely disturbing and inappropriate that this character has such a place in the film. An otherwise excellent movie was brought down a notch.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byS00zay July 9, 2010

I found the Kangaroo's behavior pretty abominable and my girls noticed! They went around mimicking her and speaking very unfriendly to each other afterward. I felt like the depiction of the cranky kangaroo ruined an otherwise cute movie.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 28, 2010

Both whimsical and heartwarming. The rare Dr. Seuss adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the source material.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymarierm April 9, 2008

7 year old loved it, 4 year old was scared

Good message overall, but the last 3/4 of the film is constant peril without a single comic break. My almost-5 year old was covering her head with her blanket most of the time and didn't understand the storyline, but my 7 year old loved it. I loved the end when Horton reaches out to the kangaroo despite what she's put him through. He teaches that kindness is always the best way, especially when we have the courage to be kind to those who have wronged us.
Parent Written byGardner25 January 20, 2014

Watch your language Horton!

The language in this movie is unsuitable.
Parent Written bycprem November 2, 2013

peril after peril. Way too intense for a Dr. Seuss story

I watched this with my almost 5 year old. We loved the book and were very disappointed with this movie. It is constant peril and the jungle animals want to put Horton's clover (with Who Ville) in a pot of boiling water at the end.... while he is tied up with ropes??? really??!! I felt this was way too intense for the common sense rating of 4 year old.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byMomof2inCA January 19, 2013

Not for small children

This was pretty intense for my 5 yr. old. The bird was scary & the kangaroo was disturbing. As a parent, some of the language wasn't great (idiot, boob, shut up). The overall message was good & it had a happy ending, but there were some intense scenes.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 20, 2012

Cute movie.

This movie was cute and funny.I really loved it! Not as good as The Lorax though,but still perfect.
Adult Written byJEDI micah June 14, 2012

JIM CAREY AND STEVE CARELL ARE FUNNY TOGETHER!!!

This is, so far, the best Dr. Suess movie ever! It is great for kids of all ages! Nothing negative needs to be said about this movie!
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee March 18, 2011

Parent of a 4, 8, and 9 year old Written bybreoct80 December 25, 2010

Perfect for everyone

Love it, I think I loved it more than my children!
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 25, 2010

Perfect for all ages

This is a very wholesome movie with nothing offensive. The only thing is there is a vulture that little kids might find kind of scary, but it isn't that bad.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bydrtoof August 21, 2010

Sends the Wrong Message...

I thought it was just OK when we saw it at the movies. I think we even bought the DVD, so the kids have seen it more times that I have. But after I watched it again on cable, I began to get very disturbed a little too late. And my suspicions were correct. When I asked the kids who the bad guy was in the movie, they named the Mama Kangaroo and nothing else I said after that convinced them otherwise. While as a parent I understand being over-protective has it's own dangers, is the movie trying to tell that to my or to my kids? Parenting is hard enough without making little kids more resentful of the parental role in preventing children from being defenselessly exposed to extreme undercurrents of thought & activity in society. Horton might actually have been crazy to be the only one hearing voices the way he was. No parent would want to expose their child to the rantings of someone crazy or someone championing causes they don't want to teach their child to believe in. What is this "special-interest group" on the grain of pollen anyway? Yes, these groups have the right to exist, but as parents we cannot cast the job of raising the next generation over just to save a grain of pollen. Mama Kangaroo probably would have left Horton alone anyway, if he did not want to live "out-loud" by waving his flower in everybody else's face. I think this movie should be PG, because this concept is not harmless and I would have wanted a chance to explain or defend a different point of view before Mama Kangaroo was irreversibly villanized.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byDomestica June 29, 2010

Not a bad family movie but watch it with your kids

This was a decent family movie but the philisophical messages will go over most kids' heads. The basic premise is that an entire world exists on the surface of a tiny grain of pollen and only Horton hears it. He tries to convince everyone of the existence of this little world but nobody believes him until the end of the movie. The colors and characters in the movie are fun to watch but some parts are a bit too "exciting" younger kids. I wouldn't advise against the movie but I would definitely not let my kids watch it alone. There were too many questions coming from my 5-year old during this movie for me to feel comfortable leaving him alone to watch it. We watched a German translated version of the movie so I can't say much about the language... I didn't find it too offensive in German but can imagine it could be iffy in English.