Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dr. Seuss' The Grinch

Pratfall-heavy take on holiday tale is fun but no classic.

Adult Written byJessaquata November 9, 2018

Funny and cute!

I saw this with my 4 and 7 year olds. They love the original Grinch cartoon. This movie is funny and cute. Nothing scary, nothing intense (I'm looking at you Incredibles 2). A great Christmas movie for all ages!!
Adult Written byAmasea November 9, 2018

High emotional intelligence retelling of classic tale

In the original, the Grinch was truly mean to Max the dog; in this version they have a much kinder and more mutually enjoyable relationship. All the elements of the original cartoon are there, but the story is told in a way that pulls our empathy to every main character. The Grinch’s miserliness is explained with a backstory that has him as an orphan (no details on how or why) who sees Christmas being celebrated around him but who isn’t included in the holiday spirit — that’s what prompts him to head off to the cave. There’s some slapstick (things that would harm real humans but are pretty amusing when done by a cartoon) and absurd physics, but it’s all ultimately good-spirited. Characters of color are included (particularly the excellently and warmly voiced Kenan Thompson as a Who who seems to adore the Grinch despite his shortcomings), but the main characters we meet are white (or green). I really enjoyed it, and prefer it to the original cartoon.

Adult Written byMichelle DL November 11, 2018

We loved this movie

I'm a mom who took my 6 year old son. He's a pretty sensitive kid so I never know what will make him sad or afraid in a movie. We both loved this movie. The animation and beautiful design/colors in the movie were so engaging. . The story was cute and funny, drawing of of the classic dr.suess story but with a wee bit more backstory about why Grinch feels so sad and alone at Christmas. It was quite touching and we both had tears in our eyes at the end. I highly recommend it, I feel like this will be a classic.
Adult Written bysmolkatravel November 10, 2018

The Grinch

Just went to see the movie with 7,9,11 years old. They all enjoyed it very much and they are sensitive viewers. The graphics of the movie were very beautiful but what i like the most was the message to the audience, not only why (Grinch and other people in life might be miserable and unhappy) but also true meaning of Christmas, not thinking only about presents for yourself but making wishes for others. The Grinch apologise and becomes a better “person.” He is forgiven by town’s people and included in the local community for the first time in life. There are plenty of funny moments throughout, as well as many kindhearted characters. Highly recommend

Parent of a 1, 6, and 10 year old Written byjim from maine November 11, 2018

Not bad

There are not many movies these days that are safe to bring younger kids to. This was one of the few. Our 6 and 10 year olds enjoyed it. Almost nothing offensive or political. Not quite as good as the original but a good movie. (Between three and four stars). Our six year old is not sensitive and it was fine for him. We are VERY protective and I was relieved that this was okay for them.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMommyRas November 19, 2018

Great for young kids

I’ve had a hard time finding movies that are appropriate for my 3 and 5 year old. Most PG movies have scary elements and sassy language and other inappropriate stuff for the younger crowd. This movie however was wonderful! A great overall message, nothing scary and super cute/fun. We loved it! Warning though, for parents looking to keep their young kids away from the scary stuff, the previews before this movie were not appropriate for my 3 and 5 year old.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byJoshua H. November 14, 2018

No reason for this to have been PG. It's a G movie.

There was absolutely nothing inappropriate about this movie at all. The PG rating is apparently for "rude humor" but I think that's just code for "You don't want your kid imitating the Grinch" but that's the whole point of the character. He's supposed to be unlikable until the end. It's a G movie.

Adult Written bykellymikel November 11, 2018

Narration and updated poetry were awful.

Although the characters and animation were wonderful...the narration, and updated poetry were awful..which distracted me terribly. The kids liked it, though.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byBiver November 12, 2018
Kid friendly and fun for all. Not the typical animated with underlying tones for adults.

Adult Written bySpoopy2510 November 21, 2018

Enjoyable and cute, but probably not for everyone

Okay, first off, DOES EVERY SINGLE ANIMATED MOVIE HAVE TO BE RATED PG THESE DAYS?! This movie doesn't have anything inappropriate in it, except for a brief scene where The Grinch is doing butt exercises or something, and even then it's not as bad as adult jokes in some other family movies. This is a G-rated movie, ignore the MPAA. Anyway, this is supposed to be a review... *cough* Let me start out by saying that you shouldn't expect any surprises from this movie - if you know the original story of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, you basically know almost everything about this movie. But that's not always a bad thing! This movie plays it pretty safe and that's okay, there's nothing wrong with that, honestly. Just don't expect anything other than a simple Christmas movie for kids when you go watch it. The animation is stunning. It's bright, colorful, the character designs are cute and appealing (though I understand why people may not like The Grinch's design for this very reason) the character animation is really fluid and fun to look at, the fur on The Grinch is detailed and almost realistic, the Whoville is beautiful to look at... even if you don't like the movie, it's hard to say that the animators didn't put in effort. There are some slight changes to the story. Some are good, some are bad... to be honest, it all depends on how you see it. The Grinch is nicer to Max. He treats him like a beloved pet rather than a slave. He also does something really nice to a reindeer named Fred, but that's a bit of a spoiler. Cindy Lou has a character arc and isn't just a random little girl that The Grinch meets during his Christmas heist. But, again, whetever you like these changes or not depends on you. I actually liked this slightly nicer Grinch, but while I liked Cindy Lou's personality and goal, her arc felt like padding and the scenes with her weren't as fun or interesting as the scenes with Grinch. Also, The Grinch has a backstory that shows why he hates Christmas and honestly, while it wasn't really needed, I still found it sad and emotional enough to kind of work and it made me feel bad for a character who just seemed to be a cruel jerk up to that point. If there's something I really didn't like about the movie, it would be the narrator. I understand what they were trying to do (he spoke in rhyme, which makes sense, since the original book was entirely in rhyme as well) and he kind of worked in the beginning, but I also feel like he ruined some scenes, ESPECIALLY the scene that showed The Grinch's backstory. I feel like simply using visuals to explain how he felt during that scene would work much better. The humor is also mixed bag - some jokes made me laugh, some just felt awkward... honestly, even though the "funny characters" of this movie were supposed to be Fred the reindeer and Cindy Lou's friends, I found The Grinch himself to be the funniest character, mostly because I like that kind of dialogue-based, snarky humor. I know that many people don't seem to like this version of The Grinch and that's okay, honestly, I understand where they are getting from. I personally have a bit of a soft spot for it, mostly because I don't have any nostalgic attachment to the book or the 1966s special and because I honestly really like this new Grinch (as in, the character), he is funny, cute, not as mean as his previous versions and strangely relatable. If you feel like the book and the 1966s special don't need any improvements and you don't want to see nicer Grinch or Cindy Lou's part of the story, feel free to skip this movie. But if you are open to a bit modernized version of the famous Dr. Seuss story and you want some cute, if not mindblowing, Christmas fun, I say check it out. There isn't anything extremely inappopriate or scary for kids, so parents don't need to worry too much.

Adult Written bySarahbee81 December 1, 2018

A great Christmas movie for the whole family

We took our kiddos (3 and 5) to see this in the theater. I was hesitant because my 5 year old is *extremely* sensitive (there are seriously episodes of age-appropriate PBS shows that he won’t watch because they’re too “scary”). So the 3 out of 5 rating for scariness and violence made this an automatic no for us - but then a friend (and the reviews here) indicated that there’s nothing scary in the movie. Sure, there are a few “intense” scenes - very fast sledding, a sleigh almost falling off a mountain, etc., but I would rate it a 1 out of 5 for scariness. 2 at the most. The only scene that made my kids jump was when a dog woke up suddenly and started barking very loudly (my 3 year old was on the verge of getting pretty upset, but it resolved before she did). Now, look - this is The Grinch, so you should be prepared for some unkind interactions. I prepared my kids for this in advance, and we talked about it afterwards. But he is *nowhere near* as mean as he is in other depictions. I think they actually did a brilliant job of making him mean without making him unredeemingly mean. But do be prepared to hear a lot of the word “hate”, and some otherwise unpleasant behaviors. There’s also some mild potty humor, but my kids get plenty of that from me! Ultimately this is a sweet movie that really captures the essence of Christmas. The ending was a bit too cute, but I’m ok with that in a children’s movie. It is so hard to find a children’s movie that is well done but not scary - and this one fit my requirements. As an aside, I absolutely do not understand the dislike for the narration. I thought it was well done and complimentary to the storyline. The rhyming was cute, and I think it helped the young viewers follow along. And it helps that Pharrell’s voice is quite pleasant.

Adult Written byHapope November 22, 2018

Could've Been Rated G! (It's a very modest PG)

This was a sweet remake of a timeless story. Some elements of the original story we're reimagined, but it only added to the interest of the original tale. I took my 3 year old and 9 year old, and they both enjoyed it. I was a little concerned about the "violence" rating description (decapitated snowman) was a bit concerning, yet misleading. I didn't feel there was anything scary or violent. It was a very fun movie with bright and colorful scenery and characters.

Adult Written byJAG1211 November 11, 2018

Not for kids

This is just the worst movie ever. This is not good for your kids at all.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byChristianmom F November 10, 2018

Nice spin on this all time classic

My husband and I took our 7 year old and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. It was funny (clean humor), clever, touching, and family friendly. A sure winner for the holiday season.

Adult Written byDrbrianschoonover December 6, 2018

Nightmares

After reading some of the reviews, I thought it would be OK to take my five-year-old. I was wrong. The whole entire scene about the orphanage, and not having any parents or presents was very scary for my daughter. Three and four days later she still having nightmares about the orphanage scene. She believes that children are sent to the orphanage when their parents don’t love them. This movie is not appropriate for any children under the age of six.

Adult Written byMamasita3 November 26, 2018

Not impressed

It's awful if you love the original grinch or even Jim Carey's version. Kids nowadays will never know the true essence of the grinch if this is the only one they see. It is nothing in comparison. Highly disappointed!
Adult Written byPaulbr November 17, 2018

Boring kids movie

A very boring rendition of a great original. Animation is great but the script only give us a handful of polite laughs and terrible narration. Absolutely nothing for the adults in the room to enjoy. Younger kids seem to enjoy it, however, looking around the theater I saw some little kids sleeping and squirming around. Don’t waste your money.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byPulsif01 November 11, 2018

A different take on the Grinch

This more modernized version of the Grinch, was heart-warming in spots, but not without a lot of slap stick comedy and rude humor.

Parent Written byDan G. November 17, 2018

An awesome re-creation of Whoville

I expected the traditional Grinch story, but there were a few surprises, none of them bad. First, the Grinch was never painted as very evil in this movie as he was in the original television show. He is a bit mean at times, but the movie has flashbacks that attempt to explain why he hates Christmas. Secondly, Whoville is quite stunning in this movie, so much more realistic eye-catching than I expected. My 14-year-old daughter said after the movie, "It reminds me of Colorado, I want to live there." Overall a very, very, good movie for the whole family.

Parent Written byNene41 November 21, 2018

Good for kids, not a classic

My five-year-old loved it! The scenes that have action or maybe considered “violent“ my daughter thought were hilarious. They were mostly sledding past and their grinch running into things. It really gave my child an understanding of empathy and how people are not all as fortunate as others. My only complaint would be the Grinch flat out saying you have never seen Santa. I believe the entire theater heard my daughter say that she had met Santa. It was not addressed at any point later.