Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dumplin'

Funny, romantic, insightful teen tale has a little swearing.

Adult Written byHelen M. December 11, 2018

Smart, well-acted comedy delivers laughs and strong message

Parents need to know that this coming of age drama has minimal swearing [mainly s***, and one f***], and little to no sex [save for some minor discussions about making out and touching]. Parents will be pleased to note that unlike past films that attempted to tackle similar topics, this heroine has a much clearer mental transformation wherein she learns to love her whole self-including those parts of her body that she once felt insecure about, without losing weight or undergoing an intense makeover that makes her more attractive. Additionally, while coming to love herself, the protagonist also learns to accept the “hot people” for who they are, and not judge them based on her own preexisting insecurities. In other words, characters learn to appreciate and accept each others’ differences and inclinations. Possible parental concerns may include three underage girls are allowed into a drag queen bar as one of them is related to a once frequent visitor, two teen girls talk about their feelings when their boyfriends touch their perceived “problem areas” while making out; it is implied a mother is emotionally neglectful of her child. Teens make many decisions with little to no adult supervision.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byJubyrk89 December 15, 2018

Great chick flick

I watched this on my own - I think it’s a nice little chick flick suitable for teenagers. Feel good film. I haven’t read any of the other reviews but it’s about coping with the loss of a loved one, gaining body confidence and accepting oneself for how they are. The film shows that we can all find love no matter what we look like and explores a broken relationship between mother and daughter. All good messages I feel! There is some swearing and kissing. I find Jennifer Anistons character a tad annoying but it’s a good story I think! Don’t have to think it through too much - just sit back and enjoy!

Adult Written byErica C. December 31, 2018

Some interesting twists

Really enjoyed this movie myself. I think one of the things that made it most interesting is that it wasn’t necessarily about relational aggression between girls. While there is some name calling of the protagonist, it doesn’t center on ”these girls” versus “those girls” so much as the fears, worries and insecurities that the protagonist had about herself. Really lovely overall.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byK8favre January 30, 2019

Great Mother Daughter Movie

This was a great movie to to watch together! The relationships between characters are deep and grow in the film. I appreciate the body positivity and strong messages.

Parent Written byVash December 31, 2018

Adult Written byShannip December 9, 2018
Positive message. Such a feel good movie! I love it! I wish there were more shows/movies like this one.

Adult Written byMommySteph February 17, 2019

Positive messages about being yourself

I would not hesitate to let any of my kids (ages 2-13) watch this film. It’s devine and includes positive messages about individuality and body image unparalleled in YA media.