Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Dumplin'

Funny, romantic, insightful teen tale has a little swearing.

Adult Written byHelen M. December 11, 2018

Smart, well-acted comedy delivers laughs and strong message

Parents need to know that this coming of age drama has minimal swearing [mainly s***, and one f***], and little to no sex [save for some minor discussions about making out and touching]. Parents will be pleased to note that unlike past films that attempted to tackle similar topics, this heroine has a much clearer mental transformation wherein she learns to love her whole self-including those parts of her body that she once felt insecure about, without losing weight or undergoing an intense makeover that makes her more attractive. Additionally, while coming to love herself, the protagonist also learns to accept the “hot people” for who they are, and not judge them based on her own preexisting insecurities. In other words, characters learn to appreciate and accept each others’ differences and inclinations. Possible parental concerns may include three underage girls are allowed into a drag queen bar as one of them is related to a once frequent visitor, two teen girls talk about their feelings when their boyfriends touch their perceived “problem areas” while making out; it is implied a mother is emotionally neglectful of her child. Teens make many decisions with little to no adult supervision.

Adult Written byErica C. December 31, 2018

Some interesting twists

Really enjoyed this movie myself. I think one of the things that made it most interesting is that it wasn’t necessarily about relational aggression between girls. While there is some name calling of the protagonist, it doesn’t center on ”these girls” versus “those girls” so much as the fears, worries and insecurities that the protagonist had about herself. Really lovely overall.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byJubyrk89 December 15, 2018

Great chick flick

I watched this on my own - I think it’s a nice little chick flick suitable for teenagers. Feel good film. I haven’t read any of the other reviews but it’s about coping with the loss of a loved one, gaining body confidence and accepting oneself for how they are. The film shows that we can all find love no matter what we look like and explores a broken relationship between mother and daughter. All good messages I feel! There is some swearing and kissing. I find Jennifer Anistons character a tad annoying but it’s a good story I think! Don’t have to think it through too much - just sit back and enjoy!

Adult Written byMommySteph February 17, 2019

Positive messages about being yourself

I would not hesitate to let any of my kids (ages 2-13) watch this film. It’s devine and includes positive messages about individuality and body image unparalleled in YA media.

Parent Written byVash December 31, 2018

Parent Written byCaz3000 February 23, 2019

Age-rating based more on interest than mature content

My 8yo daughter loved this movie because she loved the message. There were some slow parts in the movie (from a child's perspective) where she asked what was happening, and I had to pause the movie so we could have a discussion about Willow's feelings and why she reacted the way she did. She had no prior knowledge of Dolly Parton or pageants, so it was hard for her to understand quite what was happening at the start. But as the story unfolded, she got into it. Sexual content is very mild (a kiss), and there is a scene where Willow knees a boy in the groin after he harasses a girl for being fat. The subject matter of the film is fat-shaming, so your child has to be old enough that they can understand that where this is presented, it is being critiqued, rather than to take it at face value. It's fine fare for kids in upper primary / middle school, but the upper primary kids would definitely benefit from an adult there to help interpret the story. While there are some stereotypes, they are treated fondly and with empathy. One of the strengths of the movie is the extent to which it is about the relationships between women, in situations where women feel they are being judged and ranked based on how they look. There is zero catty competition, but there are misunderstandings, thoughtlessness, and low self-esteem. There is an overall theme of navigating a path through that minefield and ultimately of women supporting each other.

Adult Written byLizzielieb February 20, 2019

Thoughtful, heartwarming, and sensitive

I’m very confused as to why this film was rated PG13. It was everything that a family movie should be. A thoughtfully written movie that is empowering and honest. While it does have a happily ever after feel, it’s the “princesses” that save eachother. My 3 daughters, 8, 10, and 12 watched the movie and all liked it. Totally appropriate.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byK8favre January 30, 2019

Great Mother Daughter Movie

This was a great movie to to watch together! The relationships between characters are deep and grow in the film. I appreciate the body positivity and strong messages.

Adult Written byShannip December 9, 2018
Positive message. Such a feel good movie! I love it! I wish there were more shows/movies like this one.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byisummer March 14, 2019

Awesome just awesome

Good movie for kids 9+. I think this is a good movie for moms to keep on believing in their kids no matter what they look like or what their behaviour is like.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byYayMovietime February 28, 2019

Great movie

I think this is a great movie and anybody can enjoy it, but those under thirteen just might not understand it.