Kid reviews for Dumplin'

Funny, romantic, insightful teen tale has a little swearing.

Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2018

Heart, empowerment, and positive role models in fun Netflix movie!

Dumplin' follows a teen girl named Willowdean (also referred to as Dumplin' by her mother) who struggles from lack of self-confidence regarding her weight and spends most of her time working at the local burger restaurant, listening to Dolly Parton, and hanging out with her best friend, Ellen. Her mother helps manage a local beauty pageant, and in order to protest the fact that only skinny girls can win the pageant, Willowdean and her friends come together and enter it, but encounters a series of challenges along the way. I was very bored with the first 20 minutes of this movie, but when it picked up, I was really intrigued. It's heartwarming, funny and full of positive role models and representation. Danielle Macdonald is quite good as the main character, and the supporting cast is really talented as well. I was refreshed to see drag queen representation is a teen dramedy, which was refreshing and powerful. One of my favorite parts of the movie was the background music, which was almost always Dolly Parton. There's barely any iffy content besides a brief altercation, some suggestive dancing, and brief passionate kissing, but there aren't any sexual references or content. Language is somewhat strong, with one use of "f--k," and two uses of "s--t," and there's no drinking or drug use. Overall, I really enjoyed Dumplin' due to its enjoyable storyline, engaging performances, representation, messages about self-confidence and acceptance, and positive role models. I highly recommend this movie if you or your child is a mature 9-year-old.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJoy4winnie December 8, 2018

AMAZING!!!!!!

Really good movie they only say the f word once but then she corrects herself not much else. Tween girls will especially like it and its a GREAT movie. I definitely suggest watching it.

Kid, 12 years old December 19, 2018

SO good!

I recently saw this movie and I think it is so good! It has some inappropriate language but only a little. The actors are so good and the overall message is good. The only thing is that it shouldn't be seen by kids six and under because it is a bit sad sometimes. It is still an awesome movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byValiantLegend January 10, 2019

Not a movie for the WHOLE family

You will not be able to keep a boy in the room with this playing. It's more of a movie for mothers and daughter, not really boys. I don't know what CSM meant when they said it was perfect for families, because men will not like it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviewatcher2019 January 5, 2019

A bit disappointing and cliché

My personal opinion is that it is a bit boring but it’s okay for around 10+, it has a few kissing scenes, the plot is also very heavily based on weights ans being large or small. This is the best part about it as it empowers people to not care about what size they are. There are occasional rude words and the f word was used but quickly corrected but nothing too bad

Kid, 12 years old December 28, 2018

Amazing

This movie promotes every has the right to feel confident in their on body, and that your personality is more important.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDen.rivertan February 13, 2019

In the middle

This movie was a little boring at first and I predicted the ending about 40 minutes in. The ending was really beautiful and insightful. Great to show a kid.