Parent reviews for Eat Pray Love

Find-your-bliss film appeals but raises questions, too.

Adult Written byLana R. June 23, 2020

Bad film

A movie about a women who is married, divorces her husband for absolutely no reason, travels the world, and gets married again to some Brazilian guy. It’s extremely boring and in my opinion, has a bad message.
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byIleneFar April 24, 2019

Well-Made, Thought-Provoking, and Beautiful Film; Too Racy For Kids

Though excellent and just as good as it's source material, it is too sad and racy for those under 17. Sex and shown/implied, and you can see a male buttocks. It is overwhelmingly sad at parts, aswell. But it is a fantastic film that I recommend for all adults/older teens!

Adult Written bywonder dove May 15, 2013

Not my taste, literally.

The film is quite boring. I watched it once before and couldn't finish it. I gave it another try and barely got through it. It is just so slow! It's much too long. However, it does inspire you to not be afraid of change and to try new things, you never know what may come of it. It was also nice to see the scenery and learn about different cultures, so because of that I will give it two stars. Main character Julia Roberts does great acting, but her character was a bit selfish. Seemed like she was always into men but never stayed, she was never happy with anyone, always changing her mind regardless of how other people felt and I think that was pretty annoying. Other characters were bland, boring and uninteresting. I wouldn't watch it again, ever. Violence has nothing. Sexual content deals with a lot of sex talk and remarks, lots of flirting, some kissing and touching, one night stand, mans bare butt shown. Language is a concern and has everything from @ss, hell and [email protected] to sh*t and motherf**ker. Some social drinking throughout. Worth a one-time watch if you can even get through that. 14+.

Adult Written bykhan2705 October 28, 2010

Inspiring, life changing experience.

i loved this movie, i was waiting so curiously to see this movie and finally i did, it was little bit long but i had a great time watching it. Most films avoid themes about self awareness, personal growth, and transformation, settling instead for comedy and drama within accepted religious or community guidelines. This subject matter, however, is tackled head on (if somewhat superficially) in Eat Pray Love, a film by Ryan Murphy based on the best selling book by Elizabeth Gilbert. Written by the director and Jonathan Salt, Eat Pray Love starring Julia Roberts as Liz Gilbert is an entrancing travelogue, a romantic comedy, and a spiritual adventure all wrapped in one engaging package. Liz is looking for personal growth and enhanced self-awareness as summarized in Werner Erhard's discussion of transformation, "You get to look deep down and find out something profound about yourself", he said. "You come to know yourself, not what you think, not what you feel, but you come to know yourself honestly."

The cinematography is excellent. Each of the countries have beautiful spots and the camera work is great as far as showing that beauty. Having had enough of reading mindless negative critiques of this remarkable film, I feel it is time someone put the record straight. We know Julia Roberts well enough to know that she would not associate herself with a bad film, she looked stunning, all those close ups meant there was nowhere to hide, and her own character shone through. The photography was brilliant, the attention to detail, the atmospheres of Italy, India and Bali were all brought to life. I had read the book, but I enjoyed the film even more. Anyone who has been unhappy in a marriage and has wished they had the courage to leave it with honesty, knowing it is the right thing for both parties, will relate to this film. In this case there was a satisfyingly good ending, not always so in real life, but I am sure this film will encourage other women to be braver and believe that they can find love again, and if not, at least they will know they do not need a man to find happiness. The two hours were well spent, I did not notice the time pass, take no notice of the sad critics who really missed the beauty of it all.

This movie has one of the best performances this year Julia Roberts is extremely Good as Liz Gilbert perhaps she was born to play this role, she gives one of the best performance of her life superb

Billy Crudup took me by surprise, he did an excellent job in those few scnes he was in, seriously outstanding.

Excellent performance by Javier Bardem and ofcourse Richard jenkins.

Some scenes really took me by surprise:
1. Julia in her first scene, praying for the first time, chilling and marvellous performance.
2. Billy Crudup in the elevator leaving while hiding his tears.
3. Richard talking about his life while crying
4. Javier saying good bye to his 19 year old son in a deeply emotional way.

and many other scenes ofcourse. every character and performance in this movie is superb. An inspiring movie, a life changing experience, one of my favorite now. superb, excellent, lovely movie.

Parent of a 6, 10, and 13-year-old Written byjjmmwgdp September 2, 2010

over 15 for adult themes, a little boring

Julia Roberts and her husband are self-absorbed. So much so they their marriage is in shambles. She dumps him, has an affair and subsequently contemplates her navel through three beautiful countries. The redeeming character is the Brazilian dude that overcomes his fear of commitment and pain, and JR does come around in the end. Maybe my marriage is too good or maybe I'm too secure as a Christian to be able identify with trying to find myself. The locations were beautiful, though.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bymatty8 August 21, 2010

This is a wonderful movie for adults, maybe kids 16 or older soon to be out on their own. It shows them real life situations.

The dialog was excellent and the filming was great. I've been to Italy so it was nice to see some scenes. No the food was not great, but bland. Stick to Italian/Amercian food. It was right on to what women feel every day. Wish my husband saw this....I held back the tears it was so accurate. Good job Julia Roberts & writer.