All parent member reviews for Edward Scissorhands

Parent Written byshanerocks October 4, 2012

Excellent!

This movie is great! This is an excellent fiilm that should be seen by all older tweens to adults. Some Language, not too bad. Violence at the end. One suggestive scene, but nothing too bad.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 March 19, 2011

Good for teens

I really like this movie and I think it is a great movie for the teens. It is not appropriate for the younger kids because of the language and adult talk such as "sh*t" is said once, d*ck is said once, a character also says "he would give his left nut to see that" Ret*rded is also said and there is also talk of rape. Charaters are also seen smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. A women charater is also very flirtatious throught the movie and in one scene she takes her shirt off revealing her bra as she sits on Edward. There is also a bully in this movie who picks on Edward and there is a fight scene with a gruesome death. Overall this is a good movie but not for the younger veiwers.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS!

NOT FOR KIDS. A guy gets stabbed and killed in the chest and falls from a great height (MOST intense scene) A sex scene, though the people are both clothed.
Adult Written bySarah Grace October 15, 2010

a message to all the people that feel alone, read my review...

Edward Scissorhands is a representation of goths and every person that feels the rejection of society. The story, being secular, holds no hope. At all. The beginning was sad and hopeless and it ended just the same, sad and hopeless. But, in reality, there is hope for the hopeless. That's Jesus. I think a lot of true goths turn to Satan and the occult to "feel" safe and hidden, when that is truly the MOST dangerous place to go. People that resemble goths in fashion, I'm sure, feel the same loneliness and isolation. But the ending DID hold one true element in the story. The girl couldn't rescue the boy, even though she loved him. Only Jesus can save people, but unfortunately a lot of the times rejected people do to God what people do to them - they reject Him.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very good

Parent Written byhonee841 January 27, 2012

the best

I LOVE THIS MOVIE WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A LITTLE VIOLENT AND FUNNY .i say everone should watch it .
Adult Written bymizundastood01 April 9, 2008

Living With Scissors

A man-made boy with scissors for hands and an unconventional fairytale; Edward Scissorhands could only have emerged from the weird and wacky mind of legendary cult director and auteur, Tim Burton. The narrative is based on one that we all know so well: Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl but, girl is in love with somebody else. Only this is no ordinary boy as Edward has lethal weapons instead of hands and comes from an old gothic castle atop a hill, where he lives in isolation. Edward is played by Johnny Depp (A Nightmare On Elm Street, Cry-Baby) and his portrayal of the outcast is spectacular. There is little dialogue for Depp and so like a silent movie actor, he conveys all of his feelings with facial expressions and the emotion in his eyes is intense. His heart-warming representation of society’s outsider reaches out to anyone who ever felt different as a teenager. Alongside the beautiful Winona Ryder (Beetle Juice) as Kim Boggs, Depp is the epitome of freakish; yet the on-screen couple are strangely cute together. Perhaps their wonderful on-screen chemistry emanates from the off-screen relationship that the two stars were having at the time the film was in production. Edward is rescued from his lonely life by an unlikely heroine. Avon lady Pegg Boggs played by Diane Wiest (The Lost Boys, Footloose) finds Edward physically and mentally scarred and living alone and so she decides to take him back to suburbia with her. Before life with the Boggs family Edward had no contact with the outside world. We are presented with flashbacks of his life with his father and inventor throughout the film; some of these reminiscent scenes are extremely touching as we discover that the inventor died before Edward was finished Burton’s take on American suburbia is extremely clever and witty. The pastel-coloured houses and over-the-top personalities that live in them provide an un-mistakable contrast to Edward’s appearance and his castle, which emphasises his status as society’s outsider to the audience. The film is packed with amusing moments as Edward fails to grasp the concept of suburbia and the references the residents make. Perhaps some of the most laugh-out-loud moments are when Edward tries to understand the waterbed, punctures it and then stems the flow of water with one of Kim’s teddies or when he persistently tries to pick up a single pea from his dinner plate with his scissors. The expression on his face during these sequences is priceless. Edwards’s child-like innocence in scenes like these is endearing. Composer Danny Elfman adds a sprinkle of magic to the narrative as his beautiful music creates a perfect atmosphere for each scene. The most powerful example that conveys the sheer brilliance that can be achieved when Burton and Elfman put their heads together is the aesthetically pleasing ice-angel sculpture sequence. The slow camera movements as Edward sculpts the ice-angel and Kim dances in the snow, combined with the hypnotising music creates a moving sequence worthy of being remembered in cinema history. Burton capsizes the audience’s expectations of a fairytale narrative in the final few scenes. We expect a conventional happy ending as Kim realises she loves Edward but, it’s clear everything won’t be chocolates and flowers as Kim says “Hold me” and Edward replies “I can’t.” The story then takes an emotional twist and many audience members will be left teary eyed. All-in-all, Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful film for all the family and will go down in history as one of Burton’s greats!
Adult Written byallthatjazz989 April 9, 2008

This was a freakin awesome movie!
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Too dark and confusing for most...

This movie is too confusing and sad for most younger teens. The plotline is difficult to follow. The entire film is morbid, and deals with the frailty of life and relationships. The themes are just too much for younger ones, and even for some adults.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

One of Burton's best films ever!

Another amazing Tim Burton film (other favorite: "Beetlejuice") I've loved this movie as long as I can remember. It's so heartfelt and beautiful with a fantasy twist. Edward is so innocent and lovable, you'll want to keep him for yourself! I adore the little love story between Edward (Johnny Depp) and Kim (Winona Ryder) who were actually dating in real life at the time! Their relationship in the film is sweet and endearing. I really think the story gives a good message about acceptance and friendship. Edward has a heart of gold and would never hurt a fly intentionally. I love watching it around the Holidays. There is some violence (mostly between Jim (Kim's boyfriend) and Edward), Edward uses his scissorhands as weapon at one point, there's some beating. Jim drinks and makes his drunk best friend drive which almost hits a boy. Language isn't too bad except for words like shut-up, Jim talks about his left nut, and he also blurts out the word d*ck. An extremely religious woman talks about her beliefs in some scenes. There are some innocent kisses and one scene of a woman who "strips" for Edward...but only to her bra (Edward runs off). Jim talks about getting a van with a mattress in the back. Edward drinks alcohol once and gets sick. All in all - amazing film you just can't miss!!!!
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009

Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

pretty weird.

this is a classic tim burton/johnny depp, and most people I know love it, but I found it a bit pointless. It's great fun to see Johnny Depp at work in the character of a bizarre experiment gone wrong, but Winona Ryder's character and her acting were pretty annoying. The plot is a bit random and the ending leaves you unsatisfied. Nice message about acceptance, the true value of beauty, and complacent middle-class lifestyle, but unless you're a diehard fan of Burton I would skip this one.
Adult Written bybrennafly April 9, 2008