Parent reviews for Eighth Grade

Painfully realistic, tenderly acted coming-of-age dramedy.

Adult Written byHeidimcla September 22, 2019

Invaluable For Teaching Girls

I would normally never let my 5th grade daughter watch an R rated movie. But some of her friends have seen this movie with their moms. So when she asked to watch it, I thought better to watch it with my commentary than to just be hearing about it from her friends. I’ve read articles in Psychology Today by Fred Kaeser who advises talking to your child about a lot of this stuff at her age which I agree makes sense. Let them learn from you, get your take, and then they have a more grounded view of what’s appropriate from the start.

I paused the movie about 7 times to define words and comment on the characters’ behavior. She didn’t want more than a very brief explanation of anything (she made faces and said yuck mom). My daughter was most appalled by how the girl treated her dad, so we talked about mutual respect more than anything else.

I suspect my daughter is going to start getting attention from boys soon, so to me, this movie was invaluable to help her understand how some boys perceive some girls. I don’t think I could have explained that in a way to make her understand. But this movie nailed it. I know she doesn’t fully get it yet, but when I remind her to her be careful how you behave and you’re in charge of your body, I think we will refer back to this movie.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bydaviddeb July 13, 2018

A Must See for All Teens & Parents

My girlfriend and I saw this movie at Sundance and fell in love with the main character and the message she delivered. We swore to take our middle school aged boys the moment the movie was released. It took us right back to our own eighth grade years - the highs, the lows and the struggles of discovering who you are as a person. The writer and director of this movie (the adorable, Bo Burnham) is a young man who captures the heart of being a young teen. My friend and I were so touched by Bo's down to earth nature during a Q&A panel following the movie. And as it turns out, we were sitting right next to his parents . . . modest and beaming at their son's clear success of delivering a powerful message. This is a MUST see for parents and their kids. (Note - I fear some may be hesitant to see since it received the rating of R. I think this is a shame. Yes, there is cursing and a sexual situation but given all that can be learned and discussed from this movie, I don't understand why it's not PG-13.)

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byrkib7 July 22, 2018

We parents liked it better than our 8th grade grad daughters

I saw this film with my husband, a mom friend, and her and our almost 14-year-old, just-graduated-from-8th-grade daughters. I recommend it for similarly mature 13-year-olds and up............The overwhelmingly glowing reviews may unfortunately create an unreasonably high “E factor” (i.e. expectation of greatness), possibly causing some disappointment upon viewing this pretty good movie............Elsie Fisher, the actress playing the painfully shy protagonist, was EXCELLENT, so natural and moving, and onscreen for perhaps 100% of the scenes. It might have been nice if her character, Kayla, had at least one friend and maybe a little laughter in her life (although there were certainly laughs of recognition by us parents in the audience.)............The actor who played the dad, Josh Hamilton, was also quite good, even though his character was also a bit one note: supportive but finding it hard to connect with his daughter, causing awkwardness and misunderstandings between them. (Wondering, do parents really willingly allow their middle school kids to be in bed at night with lap tops and cell phones?)............At the suggestion of a friend of mine (who’d seen the film with her 13-year-old granddaughter and a friend), I purchased tickets for us adults and kids to sit separately (by one row, and a couple seats to the side.)............Perhaps it wasn’t necessary to be seated apart to avoid any potential awkwardness of watching sexual scenes together as the instances of sexual content were fairly limited. (One example was the protagonist searching online for “How to give a good b*** j**” then later raising a banana towards her lips to potentially practice.)............Rather, sitting separately allowed us adults and our kids to have our own experiences of the film. We parents found the story very moving, and at times humorous. Our girls, on the other hand, weren’t impressed. They complained the depiction wasn’t authentic and suspected the guy who wrote it must not have asked any actual 8th graders for their input............Observing our girls a later glued to their cell phones again, like the kids in the movie, we laughingly thought: Inauthentic? Ha! ;-)

Adult Written bylulajakmovies July 31, 2018

SO GOOD #RELATEBLE DONT LISTEN TO THE RATING THIS SHOULD BE PG

this movie was sooo good. went to see it with my 11 year old daughter and she loved the frick out of it. it is amazing and okay 4 kids 8 and up

Adult Written bySecretlyachild April 11, 2020

As a fellow parent, don't listen to the R rating

This is a brutally honest movie about the reality of being an eighth grader in today's world. Though marketed towards teens, anyone can watch it. The R rating is just a suggestion. On the movie itself, it was a truly touching and beautiful film. My 9 year old would not stop talking about it, even days after she watched it. 10/10

Adult Written bylaurabarns.086 July 31, 2018

Amazingly Fabulous! DONT LISTEN TO THE RATING

The movie was by far one of the best movies i have ever seen. It excellently depicts the struggles of being a teenager but in a mature, APPROPRIATE way. The worst part of it is a few curse words such as sh-t f--k and b---h scattered throughout the movie. amazing for kids entering middle school or already in it. again SO RELATABLE

Adult Written bymommommommomheymom August 22, 2018

Honest, real movie

I made an account just so I could counter all the reviews that are outraged by the scene where she googles “how to give a blow job.” This movie is likely not the first time your middle schooler has heard of oral sex, and it’s likely not the first time they’ve realized they can google something like that.

My husband and I took our sixth grader and eighth grader to see this movie, and we all thought it was wonderful, funny, honest, and real. The main character’s anxieties are so relatable and so on the surface, the sexual situations — whether or not we parents are ready to admit it — are on the horizon. The time to talk about it is now, and this movie could be very helpful. Honestly, that scene isn’t really that much, and I’m amazed people walked out because of it.

Beyond oral sex, which is hardly the focus of the movie, Kayla’s efforts to be confident, make friends, talk to her crush (if in a very misguided way), manage social media, and generally deal with growing up prove her to be not just a lovable and relatable character, but a strong one — yes, a strong female character.

Adult Written bythemovieslover October 13, 2018

Movie about eighth grade - content not for eighth graders

Eighth Grade is a painfully realistic movie about, you guessed it, eighth grade. I have to say, it is pretty realistic for today's generation, which is not always a good thing. Sex, swearing, and peer pressure is a common topic in this movie. While this is realistic in eighth grade, it's still focused very heavily, hence the R rating. However, this movie is very inspirational in every way, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

Parent of a 13 and 13-year-old Written byHaa October 12, 2018

Gorgeous.

I think it gives a shockingly true perspective on the challenges faced by the modern teen. Every scene is intentional, and the music is amazing. Everything about this movie is must-see. Even my city-raised daughter related to maky of the themes in this movie, which are centered around growing up in a suburban environment. Amazing.

Adult Written bytyeskola August 20, 2018

Informative, intelligen& painful look at middle school

all parents should watch it 1st and then consider watching with their adolescent kids. It is at times painful but can be an excellent opportunity to discuss the dangerous situations young girls may encounter around older boys. Can't recommend this movie enough!!!!

Parent Written byMom419 August 19, 2018

Should be PG 13

My 14 year old daughter and I went yesterday. We both thought the movie was spot on. There was a lot to discuss afterwards and I was so glad I brought her. It is a shame it is rated R because I think it is not anything your 8th grader and older hasn’t heard already at school.

Adult Written byMisspugs July 25, 2018

Listen to the R rating

I checked the ratings here before I took my daughter to see this movie today. I didn't check closely enough because this is certainly not a movie for 12+ We left about 45 minutes in when the main character, Kayla, was researching oral sex on youtube and someone in a video was holding a sex toy. It's in the review here but honestly, it was on screen longer than the review says. My 14 year old was really uncomfortable. It had a lot of relatable plot up until that moment. Too much phone and social media use. Snappy teen tired of her parent trying to connect. Feeling like an outsider. I think listening to the R rating is a good bet. Maybe my daughter is a young 14 or I am just lucky, but she felt the movie was too grown up and not at all what she and her eighth grade friends are dealing with.
Adult Written byMoneydog23 January 20, 2020

Adult Written byrynox77 May 22, 2019

A must-watch with adolescents

This movie certainly has some cringe-worthy scenes, but watching this with my daughters (aged 12 & 13) led to several conversations that I'm not sure I would have had otherwise. At times I had to hit pause and say- "It's alright to tell a boy no and not feel bad about it", for instance. Or- "It's not okay to take pictures like that with your phone", for instance. And for this, I am thankful to the movie.

What makes it work is the incredible, winning protagonist who my kids just adored.

Parent of a 9 and 14-year-old Written byMathew K. May 20, 2019

Watch if your in eight grade

good for 8 graders should be pg-13
Parent of a 6, 12, and 15-year-old Written byHailey Spring March 6, 2019

Amazing and Relatable, Some Embarrassing Parts

I had my weekly movie night with my kids and my husband, so we decided to put this on. We throughly enjoyed the movie. It was a bit awkward, but in a relatable sense. My daughter was embarrassed, and so was I. But overall, I think all tweens and teen should see this!

Adult Written byAshley M. February 20, 2019

Spot on!

I teach seventh and eighth grade, and this movie was so spot on with what I see from my students every day. The awkward, cringey behavior, the bullying and sexual scenes are so accurate to what teens are dealing with whether parents believe it or not. I am sad that this movie received an R rating because it blocked so many teens from seeing a film that really is for about about them. Don’t let the swearing and sexual talk disuade you from letting your teen watch this (or better, watching it with them and talking about the positive messages within)—this is what kids are seeing, doing, saying in schools all the time, so they won’t be shocked by an F-bomb here or there.

Adult Written byoakviolet February 5, 2019

Sad commentary of our time delivered by a break-out performance

It never ceases to amaze me how CSM rates things. I was prompted to write my first review because of the disparity in ratings between this film - and a "great for families" shout out to boot - vs. a film like "They Shall Not Grow Old" (rated 16+ for war violence).

First, the good stuff. This film was remarkable for its breakout performance with the lead character Kayla. Her dad was also fantastic (acting, not role) and the script and direction were done well, albeit a sad commentary on today's kids and today's parenting in the former. I also adored Gabe.

Highlighting this as a "great for families," 14+ movie is remarkable. While Kayla (the character) and the actress who plays her are/were age appropriate for this role, the content of this movie is decidedly not something I'm keen on my 14YO viewing. Between graphic discussions of oral sex, an almost-sexual assault (between an apparent high school senior and Kayla) wherein she apologizes profusely for her own victimization, and her interactions with her "crush," I was left both disturbed and saddened. I didn't see much about "consent" and while this may well be the world kids live in today, it isn't the world all kids live in.

While at times funny, cringe-worthy, and poignant (especially the evolving relationship between Kayla and her father), the movie raised more themes than it addressed, much less resolved. At some point, I'd really enjoy watching a film/show that has positive parental role models and kids who don't gain their sex ed via You Tube and don't have emotional problems. Those kids do exist but role models for them are few and far between.

I'll likely watch this film with my daughter when she's a bit older, and I'd definitely encourage parents to watch the film with their kids and discuss it. Why is Kayla in her room with a computer and phone all the time? (Not allowed in our house.) Who could Kayla talk to about sex ed (vs. a terrible school film and a dad that she's unable to communicate with) instead of surfing You Tube? Is it Kayla's responsibility to be sexually available and compliant with the males in her life? (Answer, no.) How could Kayla and her dad communicate better? (How about a no-phones rule at the dining room table - aka a parent being a parent for a change). The list is endless.

I guess, in this way, the film really is a good family film - a way to impress upon our kids how not to parent when they finally sign up for the job and a way to remind our girls that life isn't always like this fictionalized version of eighth grade.

Adult Written byKalie71 January 28, 2019

Too explicit for young teens- had to turn off after scene on how to give a blowjob and the dildo’s.

Adult Written byAustin G. January 26, 2019

One of the best films ever made

This still might be the most painful movie I've ever watched, in terms of cringing and feeling sick to my stomach at times. All in the best ways, of course. This was pretty much my life growing up, almost to a T. It's kinda hard watching your life happen on screen sometimes, especially when it's this real.