Parent reviews for El Cantante

Another singer self-destructs, to a Latin beat.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byelmasizo April 9, 2008
Adult Written byAvatar_scott April 9, 2008

not fit for children 16 and under

If you people want to set an example then that would be to not let your children watch rated R movies until their 17 because if you dont then they will become snoty and mean and start to say nasty words to elder people and yonger people.
Adult Written byANGELIQUE April 9, 2008

AMAZING - I STILL LOVE MY PEOPLE THROUGH THE PAIN

I watched this movie 4 times. Marc Anthony nailed this role. I hate when people say Jennifer stole the spotlight, no she did the damn thing she is an amazing person and they made me get angry, cry, shout, laugh, sing and dance. I felt like I was right there. Even though Hector struggled he made an indent on so many lives, my Grandmother still plays his songs. It definitely brought back memories. Thank you for making this movie!

**They rated it bad because they just don't understand, not a lot of people will.
Adult Written byClaire626 April 9, 2008

I believe it was a good film.

I think is time for people to stop being so critical on the actors of the film, and accept that this is great film. However, Marc and J.Lo did and created a film that is close to them. The culture and the music that they are passionate about. Anyways, is true that the film concentrate alot on Hector abuse, but we have to understand that when a person is a drug addict, they are pron to be some or a lot of domestic violence. Let's be realistic, Hector is an idol for a lot of salsa lovers and more. But just because he was passionate about his music and great at it, does not and should not forbid people from accepting that he had some personal issue. Anyways, is a great film, I felt the need to ask why so much struggle for such a great singer. May his legend continue, Marc you were great, if you close your eyes you will actually forget who was really singing. J.Lo was great her and Marc had and have great chemistry. Go see the film and look beyond the actors but the legend that the film is base on. I could keep writing about the film, I felt a great warching it.
Viva la Salsa,
Adult Written bygaw April 9, 2008

terrible and depressing screenplay

focus is on Hector and his wife Puchi, 2 selfish low class unstable people who do drugs. Despite the great music, it left me feeling no sympathy for them and dead at the end. What a disappointment that it left me with no interest in salsa music or dance or learning more about Hector. JLo and Marc acted realiistically and well. I go to a movie to learn about life, to feel some emotions, to be intrigued with the story, to become enthusiastic about something, for enjoyment, something. This movie left me with nothing.
Adult Written bysansam April 9, 2008
Adult Written byelianne22 April 9, 2008

Not worth your time

Well being a puertorican myself, I find it hard to give my honest opinion about this film but I MUST!...It is not worth watching if you're expecting to know about the life of a man so talented as Hector Lavoe, the movie only bases on his drug addiction and they always show him sooo high you even get sleepy too. I wish they would have given people who didn't knew about him a chance to see the different side of him despite his drug problems.. It is a waste of time!
Adult Written byE-Rod April 9, 2008

The story of Hector Lavoe

This movie is the story of Hector Lavoe's life (at least all the bad things) so that's what you get. It's all about drugs, swearing/screaming and it being this great singer's life (I mean he got AIDS from his behavior). It's his life as an artist in the 1970's where it seems everyone was doing 'it.' The relationship with his wife (played by J. Lopez)is central to the movie. The movie has good acting and it's interesting especially seeing how this artist and other more known ones started out, but it's definetely for a mature audience.