All parent member reviews for Elf

Adult Written bybarbkeith April 9, 2008

"Some people think the parents do it ..." (!!)

Liked this movie, overall. But as a parent of children who still have a strong belief in S.C., I was disappointed with the discussion of there not being a Santa Claus and the subsequent line "some people say that the parents do it..." (!) This was not something I wanted my young children to hear, as I'm sure the thought had not yet occurred to them! Was disappointed that the movie might plant my child's first seed of doubt about the existence of the "big red guy"!
Educator and Parent Written byMomTeacher61 June 2, 2011

Something to consider...

I think that this movie is spectacular family fun. However, in the beginning of the film Papa Elf tells Buddy that people "down south" don't believe in Santa anymore and that they think that moms and dads put out the presents and eat the cookies. It could potentially spoil the secret of Santa for a lot of kids...
Parent Written byCarolynClyde December 17, 2011

LOVE THIS MOVIE, but not to watch with my kids.

Please, before you accuse me of being a bad person for saying this happy holiday movie is not for kids, pause yourself. I love this movie, it is one of my absolute favorites. However, I do not believe it is child appropriate. I also feel that the common sense expert review failed to mention much of the inappropriate content in this film, so I have taken the liberty to write one myself. EDUCATIONAL VALUE: Your kids will learn something about "parents putting the presents under the tree and eating the cookies" do you really want your 7 year old not to believe in santa? POSITIVE MESSAGES: (see educational value) VIOLENCE & SCARINESS: a comical fight between "santa" at gimbal's and Buddy. A snowball fight. SEXY STUFF: A women is naked in the shower, bare shoulders are visible. Buddy sits outside the shower. The women later mentions her being naked. Buddy takes of his tights and you can see his underwear, which is more like a paper-thin speedo. Two people share a passionate kiss. Buddy is born out of wed lock. LANGUAGE: strong language for a supposed "family" movie CONSUMERISM: really not an issue compared to the rest of the film. DRINKING/DRUGS: Buddy is very drunk in one scene and makes bad decisions while he is drunk.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byagency14 April 9, 2008

Not good for adoptive families

Very funny movie in many ways, and very enjoyable BUT a big warning to adoptive families: Buddy the elf goes off to NY to find his "real" dad, that being his biological father rather than the father who adopted him and raised him and is indeed his REAL father. Very problematic message for adoptive families or families with less traditional structures, who raise their children to understand that family is about love and who takes care of you, not biology. As much as I love this movie, it will be off limits to my son until he's much much older and more confident and comfortable with our adoptive family status.
Adult Written byHFx7 November 20, 2014

Language issues...

It's really no wonder that kids today use such bad language. I am shocked that other parents think that this movie is appropriate for kids as young as 4! My oldest is 12 and my youngest is 3 and they won't be watching this movie. Is it a funny movie? Yes. Is it cute? Yes. However, I do not allow my children to watch movies where the words "crap", "damn", "hell" or "pissed" are used. That is language that is inappropriate for children to use and it's low class and vulgar for people of any age to speak that way. It's too bad that so many movies are inappropriate for children when they could be so much better if the language was cleaned up.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJimmyH December 16, 2009
Adult Written byjkw April 9, 2008

I second the "not for toddlers"

I'd also heard this was suitable for toddlers, so my husband and I screened it. We're glad we checked first! It is a cute movie, but there is a lot there that our 3-year-old daughter could find disturbing, including trees catching on fire, multiple physical fights, and a lot of yelling/anger for confusing reasons. I'd say it is best for the 6-12 year old range with some parental explanations.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byajn January 18, 2011
Educator Written bytennisguy1847 August 30, 2009

best christmas movie ever made!!!!!!

this is my family's favorite christmas movie. we bought it and watch it at least twice each christmas. it never gets old and its such an enjoyable movie!
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byPaulaBradley November 28, 2014

Would NOT recommend for children

Typically I agree with CSM but after watching Elf with my two boys (8 and 9) I was surprised that CSM rated it for age 7. The movie definitely puts thoughts into kids heads about Santa not being real- thoughts that were probably not in my kids minds until they watched it. However I was more disturbed by the language and adult themes throughout the movie.
Adult Written bywiscwil April 9, 2008

Elf not for toddlers

We mistakenly took our 4 year old to Elf. She wanted to leave after 30 minutes. While Will Ferrell's character is sincere, it was hard to explain to her why "Santa" was trying to beat up "Elf", as in the department store scene. Elf pulls Santa's beard off, and then Santa picks up a bat and tries to take Elf's head off with it. We feel mostly responsible, as it does have a PG rating, and mistakenly took the advice of a relative who felt it was fine for toddlers. Side marketing note: I noticed Cadillac's brochure on James Caan's desk.My "adult" review of the film for adults is that the North Pole scenes are great, the movie lacks a real compelling plot, and Mr. Ferrell is so good, the screenwriters get lazy, as opposed to Pixar - who labor over the story.
Parent Written bySam Donder December 24, 2013

Elf is a great christmas movie, that is very funny

Elf is a movie that will be enjoyed by the family. The only material that is somewhat inappropriate is there is some extremely mild language (potty language). Buddy is extremely nice to everyone and is extremely selfless, but he is somewhat portrayed as dumb. There is extremely important messages never giving up on people and its never to late for someone to have a change of heart. Lastly this movie is very funny and parents and kids alike will enjoy it.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011

My Youngest Kid NO!!!

Perfect For My Other Kids it Made my 6, 7, 10, 10, and my 17 year old laugh.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bymartalowe February 25, 2011

ELF ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best movie I've ever seen made my family laugh out loud every sentence or so.And we've like seen it like 3 or 4 times so my rating OUTSTANDINGLY AWESOMELY FUNNY!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byTwinMyself December 27, 2010

Hilarious.

Light hearted, easy family movie. Nothing inappropriate or uncomfortable for anyone. Just sit back and enjoy. You are guaranteed a laugh!!!!!
Adult Written byhellomynameisgeorge November 27, 2010

OUTSTANDING
Adult Written bysculpturewoman April 9, 2008

Not for adopted children

There are so many good movies out there, why watch this one? Not only is it dumb and mind-numbing, but as an adoptive parent, it made me cringe. Elf, the main character, crawls into Santa's bag one Christmas night and ends up being 'adopted' by Santa. References to 'real' parents and other language that portrays a negative -- and silly -- view of adoption.
Educator and Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byisabels April 4, 2015

Not too bad, but better for older kids

The movie was pretty standard Christmas fare, so I won't review it in detail, but I just wanted to give other parents a heads up: There is a scene in which Buddy is given advice about life in New York, and he is instructed "if you see a sign that says "Peep Show", that doesn't mean that they're letting you look at the new toys before Christmas". So if you're watching with younger kids, you will need to be prepared in case they ask you what a peep show actually is.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 14, 2013

CLASSIC

LOVE IT! such a great movie, i watch it five times every Christmas season. my kids love it too. probably will ferrell's most appropriately, but still good and funny movie. PG For brief language, thematic elements, and brief smoking
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 24, 2012

elf

Families can talk about whether Buddy is a role model. Do you think the movie intends for him to be someone people admire? Why or why not? Are you more likely to laugh at him or with him? Why? What's the difference? If you arrived in your town after 30 years at the North Pole, what do you think might surprise and delight you the way that the escalator and revolving door surprised and delighted Buddy? How does this movie compare to other Will Ferrell comedies? Why do you think he doesn't make more movies for kids?