All parent member reviews for Elf

Adult Written bybarbkeith April 9, 2008

"Some people think the parents do it ..." (!!)

Liked this movie, overall. But as a parent of children who still have a strong belief in S.C., I was disappointed with the discussion of there not being a Santa Claus and the subsequent line "some people say that the parents do it..." (!) This was not something I wanted my young children to hear, as I'm sure the thought had not yet occurred to them! Was disappointed that the movie might plant my child's first seed of doubt about the existence of the "big red guy"!
Educator and Parent Written byMomTeacher61 June 2, 2011

Something to consider...

I think that this movie is spectacular family fun. However, in the beginning of the film Papa Elf tells Buddy that people "down south" don't believe in Santa anymore and that they think that moms and dads put out the presents and eat the cookies. It could potentially spoil the secret of Santa for a lot of kids...
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bymartalowe February 25, 2011

ELF ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best movie I've ever seen made my family laugh out loud every sentence or so.And we've like seen it like 3 or 4 times so my rating OUTSTANDINGLY AWESOMELY FUNNY!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJimmyH December 16, 2009
Educator Written bytennisguy1847 August 30, 2009

best christmas movie ever made!!!!!!

this is my family's favorite christmas movie. we bought it and watch it at least twice each christmas. it never gets old and its such an enjoyable movie!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byajn January 18, 2011
Parent Written byCarolynClyde December 17, 2011

LOVE THIS MOVIE, but not to watch with my kids.

Please, before you accuse me of being a bad person for saying this happy holiday movie is not for kids, pause yourself. I love this movie, it is one of my absolute favorites. However, I do not believe it is child appropriate. I also feel that the common sense expert review failed to mention much of the inappropriate content in this film, so I have taken the liberty to write one myself. EDUCATIONAL VALUE: Your kids will learn something about "parents putting the presents under the tree and eating the cookies" do you really want your 7 year old not to believe in santa? POSITIVE MESSAGES: (see educational value) VIOLENCE & SCARINESS: a comical fight between "santa" at gimbal's and Buddy. A snowball fight. SEXY STUFF: A women is naked in the shower, bare shoulders are visible. Buddy sits outside the shower. The women later mentions her being naked. Buddy takes of his tights and you can see his underwear, which is more like a paper-thin speedo. Two people share a passionate kiss. Buddy is born out of wed lock. LANGUAGE: strong language for a supposed "family" movie CONSUMERISM: really not an issue compared to the rest of the film. DRINKING/DRUGS: Buddy is very drunk in one scene and makes bad decisions while he is drunk.
Adult Written byjkw April 9, 2008

I second the "not for toddlers"

I'd also heard this was suitable for toddlers, so my husband and I screened it. We're glad we checked first! It is a cute movie, but there is a lot there that our 3-year-old daughter could find disturbing, including trees catching on fire, multiple physical fights, and a lot of yelling/anger for confusing reasons. I'd say it is best for the 6-12 year old range with some parental explanations.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byagency14 April 9, 2008

Not good for adoptive families

Very funny movie in many ways, and very enjoyable BUT a big warning to adoptive families: Buddy the elf goes off to NY to find his "real" dad, that being his biological father rather than the father who adopted him and raised him and is indeed his REAL father. Very problematic message for adoptive families or families with less traditional structures, who raise their children to understand that family is about love and who takes care of you, not biology. As much as I love this movie, it will be off limits to my son until he's much much older and more confident and comfortable with our adoptive family status.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011

My Youngest Kid NO!!!

Perfect For My Other Kids it Made my 6, 7, 10, 10, and my 17 year old laugh.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byTwinMyself December 27, 2010

Hilarious.

Light hearted, easy family movie. Nothing inappropriate or uncomfortable for anyone. Just sit back and enjoy. You are guaranteed a laugh!!!!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr. Weird September 11, 2010

Good.

Messages and role models: Good. Violence: Minor Sex: A character is seen naked in the shower.
Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

Good for Eight and Up

Great movie, very funny! Unfortunately, some parts can get a little scary and Buddy's Dad not knowing about him may raise some questions in younger children.
Adult Written byhellomynameisgeorge November 27, 2010

OUTSTANDING
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byM382 November 26, 2010

4+ okay for family holiday movie

There's nothing to be alarmed about in this movie for kids ages 4 and up. Our boys really enjoyed it.
Parent Written bylilman11 January 10, 2011

i'm yored about the kids
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Elf

A cute and funny movie the whole family will enjoy. Especially during Christmas.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byHOLLYWOODHILLSMOM April 23, 2010

Truly funny for parents and kids!

Our whole family loved watching this together. Absolutely nothing objectionable and so incredibly funny!
Parent Written byEnns Family November 11, 2009

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byellasmom36 December 19, 2008

LOVE IT!!!

I love this movie. It's so cute and funny. WARNING: it might make kids not believe in Santa. It's about an elf trying to find his dad in NYC. It has a great cast and is super funny!