Parent reviews for Elf

Elf Poster Image

How to avoid the doubting-Santa scene

Reviewers have expressed concern about the scene in which Papa Elf says that people doubt that Santa exists and that they think that it is actually the parents doing everything. To avoid little kids hearing that, you can mute for 30 seconds after Papa Elf says "As silly as it sounds ..." in the sleigh room scene; on DVD, this was from minute 7:40 to minute 8:10.
30 people found this helpful.

Language and concepts are quite mature. Doubt around existence of Santa.

This movie is wholesome enough for watching with my partner and even my mom but I'd hesitate to show it to kids for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it includes some foul language and concepts that are mature. There is discussion around adoption and absent parenting as well as the fact that it raises doubts around the existence of Santa. Secondly, there is a scene that includes violence towards a "little person". The character is called names (inadvertently, by "Buddy"), and this brings up issues that would likely need to be debriefed for any kid who's sensitive to prejudice. In summary, there are plenty of great Christmas movies that are geared towards kids, but this isn't one of them due to the inclusion of more mature topics. Some parents may just gloss over these topics but there's no way my kid would accept a movie like this with no explanations.

2 people found this helpful.

A good movie

Review from my 8-yr-old: Elf is a very fun movie it does have intense fighting but it is very creative I enjoy the concept of the story over all it is a good movie.
1 person found this helpful.

A good movie

Insensitive plot line

Ill-informed plot line around finding one’s birth father. Buddy the Elf (main character) was abandon by his birth father and spends the whole movie as an adult man convincing his birth father to take him back. It’s too bad this plot line is so insensitive. It ruins the whole movie.

Great Holiday Movie

This is my favorite Christmas movie! It's not degrading to little people. I mean, how could it be when a little person agreed to play the part? I see nothing bad in this movie. It's funny and clever. I will continue to watch it every Christmas. The movie is completely PG. The cast is great! A+

Adult humor, doubting Santa, and innuendos.

Sure, the movie is fun for teens and young adults. Not a family movie, not a kids movie.

A little sexy stuff but still good for kids

Everyone's heard of this movie - the story of a non-elf who is raised as one and winds up in NYC, completely unprepared but happy to figure it out. Buddy has a fantastic attitude and radiates positivity. There is a little bad language, and some sexy stuff, but it was still fine for our 7-year old, though we did have to explain a couple of things.