Parent reviews for Emma.

Emma. Poster Image

A disgrace for Jane Austen's novel

I was excited for it but It was a total disappointment . Emma was so different from the Novel , so stiff , arrogant and bad facial expressions . I don't know who came up with this idea of making the movie kinda funny because it was not . And what's with her father ? He was not that extreme in the novel to be honest ..everything was a disgrace and thats MY opinion in it at least. Finally ....seriously whats with all the nude scenes ? They were not necessary whatsoever .
2 people found this helpful.

Amazing and…

This movie is amazing! The costumes were wonderful and the plot fun and exciting to follow. A Emma's butt is shown for a few seconds but that just really add to the beauty of the movie.up until a little after Emma’s time woman did not wear underwear. So it all adds to the historical accuracy.but anyway Amazing movie definitely should watch. Also if you don’t care about historical accuracy (which you should) it just a butt every one has one chill out

Pretty good

Emma is a pretty good movie, with a very good cast. The movie was very well made and the acting was good. I liked the storyline and the costumes. Me and parents watched and together and liked, we didn’t find the short glimpse of a mans backside a big deal. Overall a good movie.
1 person found this helpful.

Delightful movie my whole family enjoyed

While Emma is a wonderfully delightful movie, there are two scenes that parents will want to know about. There is one scene where Knightly, the lead man, gets dressed, and another with Emma, where she warms herself by the fire. But this should not stop families from watching it, if they know when these scenes are and can tell their children when to cover their eyes. Otherwise, this is a hilariously funny and surprisingly beautiful film.

Enjoyable family viewing

Watched at home with girls aged 9 and 11, the language might be harder for younger children to follow especially ina cinema where you cant stop to explain. Overall we all loved it and we didn’t mind the view of the bottoms - it was not sexual, just a bottom.

Disappointing

My 10 year old and I did not enjoy. Here is her review: "Is Jane Austen still alive? Because if she is she should have words with the director". My note: really surprised at the reactions to the brief, non-sexual, partial nudity. I did't think it was a big deal at all.
1 person found this helpful.

Funny and entertaining period piece!

This movie is sweet and fun to watch. I'm confused at some of the other raters' reactions to the brief, non-sexual, rear nudity (which would likely make kids laugh and also prompt discussion about why these rich people didn't just dress themselves!). The characters are likeable and the settings are beautiful! If you enjoy light-hearted period dramas like I do, this film is probably for you.

1 person found this helpful.

Minor nudity, and not sexualized -serves historical purpose

If a child has seen his/her parent naked from behind, they will be unfazed by these two scenes -both of which are meant to depict the English caste system: upper class characters being dressed or undressed by lady's maid or butler...

Witty, Endearing Characters, beautiful sets

Loved the perfectly timed, clever nuances, pauses and unexpected music. By far the most charming Mr Woodhouse ever! My only complaints were there were two too many naked rear ends, one shaggy and not handsome Mr Knightley and a poorly-timed noise bleed that ruined the proposal scene. I prefer the actors in Gwenyth’s Emma to this version, but otherwise, this one takes the cake (& goose), literally!
1 person found this helpful.

Best movie adaptation of Emma so far

This is my favorite movie adaptation of Emma so far. I feel like it portrays Emma's arc from vanity to humility much better than earlier versions, and it more evenly depicts how her friendship with Harriet helps this transformation. (In the adaptation with Gweneth Paltro, which I also like, the friendship seems very lopsided and its not clear that the friendship has a keen role in her transformation just that she generally feels bad for her mistakes). In this one, it feels more clear that the way that others treat Harriet is a mirror for Emma to see the fault in the ways she treats others. And it's because her growing friendship that she finally sees this fault. Emma is not a perfect protagonist, her transformation from having faults (which many people in her social class had, as shown in other Jane Austin's works) to being kind and having more humility was good. It shows you that you can be a mixture of good, great and not so great and a way forward is always possible despite mistakes that hurt others. It seems a lot of people are upset by the showing of one buttocks (Mr Knightly getting dressed) and a mostly obscured view of a second (Emma lifting her dress to warm hers by the fire, while in a room by herself. The camera is facing her at an angle and you dont even see her buttocks, more of just the outline on her hip). This for me was in no way enough nudity to be disturbing in any way. However, I do not find nudity that is completely divorced from sexual content to be objectionable and I understand this is not everyone's personal preference. However, it is kind of alarming to me that the brief, non sexual visual of a bare butt is more objectionable to parents than Mr. Elton being manipulative and yelling at Emma during his failed marriage proposal in the carriage. That for me was the thing I'd talk to my children about, not the nudity. Someone pressuring you to do something ("I am ready to die if you refuse me" and then yelling and hitting the ceiling when you refuse) is a way more cogent topic to discuss as far as safety, and has more potential to be damaging as similar behavior could come up in their own romantic life when they are older. I loved the chemistry between Knightly and Emma, both intellectually and physically. I think on the whole their romance is pretty chaste except for 10 seconds of kissing at the end. They don't even kiss when Knightly proposes, it instead is turned into a comedic scene that I enjoyed. I thought the playing up of Emma's fathers fear of illness brought hilarious light to a character that is usually just background noise. The characters in general are all really well played. I loved the music and the way it both bridges gaps between scenes (really loved the choral music personally), and at others matches the action and adds to it. I also personally enjoyed the choice to make the scene where the g*psies attack Harriet off screen instead of shown, as that part of the book has not necessarily aged well and I did not enjoy the portrayal in earlier versions. All in all, my favorite Emma movie! I would highly recommend to fans of Jane Austin films.