Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Enchanted

Adorable fairy tale is a fabulous family flick.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bydnpseattle February 19, 2011

Topics of Divorce and Committment poorly handled

Well, it was entertaining enough for the adults, but I think there are some topics and scenes which are too much for young kids. Here's what the reviews don't prepare you for: 1) the topic of divorce and, 2) why it's "ok" to leave someone you're with for someone else. On #1: For some young kids, divorce is a tragedy they are not ready to be introduced to (if they are fortunate enough to not have experienced it firsthand). In the story, the mom "just left" her husband and daughter. That can instill a lot of fear and worry into young kids. "Why did her mom just go?" or "Didn't she love them anymore?" "Will my mom/dad ever just go?" Also, why someone's job might be to help mom's and dad's split up (as opposed to help reconcile) is all tough. On #2, Giselle, who has found true love and is to marry her prince, drops him for Robert (in a rather sensually charged scene where she runs her fingers over his chest and plays with his chest hair). That one is easier to explain (i.e. she didn't really know the prince). Hard to explain, is Robert's actions. After 5 years, he ditches his girlfriend for Giselle. "How can he like her when he already has a girlfirend?" It makes "true love" seem like a very fickle thing; driven by feelings and emotions. Granted, you can't do these topics justice in 107 minutes, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss them and conveniently sweep them under the carpet either. Oh, one more thing: the scene at the end with the dragon is indeed REALLY scary for the little ones. For my 6 year-old, it soured the whole movie. As soon as the movie was over, she got up and turned the TV off (before the credits rolled).

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute family flick is a tad sexually aware, but fine for kids 6+

Sexual Content (Pause): True love's kiss plays a key role in the plot. Giselle is seen getting out of the shower (no nudity shown) and ends up falling on Robert in an inadvertently sexual position. She also shows varying amounts of cleavage throughout the movie, as do other female characters. Some mild sexually-oriented jokes and innuendo. Violence (Pause): Giselle is poisoned. Swords are wielded about frequently. The opening sequence with a large troll and the ending sequence with the queen turning into a huge dragon may frighten younger children. Some slapstick. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): True love and dreams coming true are major themes of the film. Giselle is optimistic and overtly kind, and while she is initially looked down upon at first for her "strange" behavior, the people of NYC come to appreciate her. Commercialism (Pause): Seeing as this story takes place in the Big Apple, expect lots of product placement. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): Giselle is served an apple martini (she almost drinks it, but Pip stops her from doing so).
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymychza April 9, 2008

New Favorite Fairy Tale!

My kids are very young (under 5) and they both loved it. They did not understand any of the more adult things or the alcohol reference although some older kids might. The fighting with the dragon was a little scary for them, but we held their hands and watched it together and they were excited when the "mean lady" was gone. Someone else made a comment about the divorce people fighting being inappropriate, but later they make up which shows kids to work out their problems rather than give up. Also, in response to the comment that Giselle is inappropriate because the story promotes the "love the one you're with" idea, that is not the point at all. Giselle just met Edward and was set to marry him after a day when they had never spoken or spent any time together. The movie spoke more about not rushing into things and taking time to get to know the person before you marry them and about following your dreams.
Adult Written bycathyt April 9, 2008

This is not for young children

I admit CS reviewed this for ages 6+ but I took my five year old and she asked to go home as soon as the action changed from animation to live action. It was way too intense and scary. Also, in the first 15-20 minutes (all I saw before leaving), Giselle's crown was stolen by a homeless man and there was a very growup scene of two adults shouting at each other in a divorce hearing -- all of it too overwhelming for my daughter. It is probably a great movie for older kids (the beginning was really fun to watch, with lots of inside jokes and Disney sendups) but I think even 6 is too young for some of the more mature topics...but then I can't comment on anything more than the beginning!
Teen, 17 years old Written byfloatingzoo May 4, 2019

Dramatic Reviewers

Such a cute and fun movie, and it's been one of my favorites since it first came out! Everyone is being very overly dramatic about everything.

Adult Written byjymn March 4, 2019

Does your kid understand parody?

I love this movie, it's hilarious and heartfelt. And there's nothing overtly bad for young children in it--I wouldn't be upset if my three-year-old saw it at a friends house--however I wouldn't show it to a kid until they were old enough to discuss parody. Little children take everything literally, and won't understand that the over-the-top princess imagery is actually making fun of princesses. In fact, this movie would be a great way to introduce the concept of parody to mid-elementary age kids, since so many other parodies run very adult with their humor.
Adult Written byBigboi12 December 6, 2018

Rude word

I just wanted to point out that in one scene where the prince is stabbing the bus a man can be heard saying: “get the fuck out of here” or something along those lines when you hear it u can’t U.N. hear it. It is quite easy to hear but you might’ve missed it.
Adult Written bydvdgirl October 24, 2018

not bad.

a princess who is very optimistic and happy. so what's wrong with that? nothing.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byAnnie.cheetah August 12, 2018

Adult Written byRarityfan July 14, 2018

Another New York City fairytale

Another New York City fairytale. Lots of romance, fighting, drinking and so much fun too. The big consumerism is of course New York City. Now the wait goes on for Disenchanted not to be confused with the show Disenchanment.

Adult Written byt s December 11, 2017

bad messages, awful princess movie

Adult Written byAutumn L. July 19, 2017

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byboltoncj August 14, 2015
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytintinruaza July 23, 2015

Too much mature themes for all minors...

Some PG-rated movie with a lot of disgusting scenes... These scenes can easily harm a student's mind. This movie can manipulate people to prioritize romance over their education.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySS1234 March 13, 2015

Enchanted

Well, being that I am from Australia, the rating for the film is a bit different. Over here it is rated G and I am confused as to why it is rated PG in America? The movie has no swears or insults and no sex scenes. There are some implied sexual references but these are very discrete. The themes are light hearted and quite happy. Each child will see the film in a different view because of circumstance and age. But all ages should be able to watch a film like this.
Parent Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Brilliant, hilarious spoof

This terrific parody of Disney Princess movies is perfect for kids aging out of the genre. James Marsden and Amy Adams are a hoot as a stereotypical fairytale prince and princess trying to cope with modern day Manhattan...while singing! One of the funniest, cleverest movies ever with several wonderful characters, and many sly in-jokes. I rate this as slightly older than CSM does, because I think kids will enjoy it much more if they're old enough to have seen (and wearied of) the standard Disney princess romances, and can catch the references. Two minor complaints: I like that Giselle's "rival" Nancy is not portrayed as a villain (and gets her own happy ending), but the mockery of Robert's attempt to provide strong female role models for his daughter really grated, ("A BOOK?" his daughter says in disbelief). And while the girl bonding scene between Giselle and Morgan was sweet, did it have to involve shopping at luxury stores with Daddy's gold card?

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byTudorMom August 10, 2013

One of our absolute favorite family night movies.

Adult Written byJEDI micah January 25, 2013

A DISNEY CLASSIC!!!

Before this movie, we were all stuck watching The Princess Bride, which I thought was a funny movie. Now, here's Enchanted, my new favorite princess movie! It combines animation with live-action, but it's not like Who Framed Roger Rabbit (another great movie!!!). Enchanted has a simple story line, funny characters, and good singing! this is an amazingly funny and memorable princess movie for Disney fans!

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy January 24, 2013

Animation mixed with live-action? COOL.

This is a hilarious movie for the whole family.It is a great way to spend some time.It has good animation,nice acting,awesome action/adventure,cool romance,and hilarious jokes all around.I recommend Enchanted.