All parent member reviews for Enchanted

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bydnpseattle February 19, 2011

Topics of Divorce and Committment poorly handled

Well, it was entertaining enough for the adults, but I think there are some topics and scenes which are too much for young kids. Here's what the reviews don't prepare you for: 1) the topic of divorce and, 2) why it's "ok" to leave someone you're with for someone else. On #1: For some young kids, divorce is a tragedy they are not ready to be introduced to (if they are fortunate enough to not have experienced it firsthand). In the story, the mom "just left" her husband and daughter. That can instill a lot of fear and worry into young kids. "Why did her mom just go?" or "Didn't she love them anymore?" "Will my mom/dad ever just go?" Also, why someone's job might be to help mom's and dad's split up (as opposed to help reconcile) is all tough. On #2, Giselle, who has found true love and is to marry her prince, drops him for Robert (in a rather sensually charged scene where she runs her fingers over his chest and plays with his chest hair). That one is easier to explain (i.e. she didn't really know the prince). Hard to explain, is Robert's actions. After 5 years, he ditches his girlfriend for Giselle. "How can he like her when he already has a girlfirend?" It makes "true love" seem like a very fickle thing; driven by feelings and emotions. Granted, you can't do these topics justice in 107 minutes, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss them and conveniently sweep them under the carpet either. Oh, one more thing: the scene at the end with the dragon is indeed REALLY scary for the little ones. For my 6 year-old, it soured the whole movie. As soon as the movie was over, she got up and turned the TV off (before the credits rolled).
Adult Written bycathyt April 9, 2008

This is not for young children

I admit CS reviewed this for ages 6+ but I took my five year old and she asked to go home as soon as the action changed from animation to live action. It was way too intense and scary. Also, in the first 15-20 minutes (all I saw before leaving), Giselle's crown was stolen by a homeless man and there was a very growup scene of two adults shouting at each other in a divorce hearing -- all of it too overwhelming for my daughter. It is probably a great movie for older kids (the beginning was really fun to watch, with lots of inside jokes and Disney sendups) but I think even 6 is too young for some of the more mature topics...but then I can't comment on anything more than the beginning!
Adult Written bySarah Grace August 12, 2010

Unclear ending

It was okay, pretty funny at some parts. The only issue was at the end it wasn't clear if Gisele and Robert were married or just living together. Not a very good message, especially for teenagers....
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Cute family flick is a tad sexually aware, but fine for kids 6+

Sexual Content (Pause): True love's kiss plays a key role in the plot. Giselle is seen getting out of the shower (no nudity shown) and ends up falling on Robert in an inadvertently sexual position. She also shows varying amounts of cleavage throughout the movie, as do other female characters. Some mild sexually-oriented jokes and innuendo. Violence (Pause): Giselle is poisoned. Swords are wielded about frequently. The opening sequence with a large troll and the ending sequence with the queen turning into a huge dragon may frighten younger children. Some slapstick. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): True love and dreams coming true are major themes of the film. Giselle is optimistic and overtly kind, and while she is initially looked down upon at first for her "strange" behavior, the people of NYC come to appreciate her. Commercialism (Pause): Seeing as this story takes place in the Big Apple, expect lots of product placement. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Pause): Giselle is served an apple martini (she almost drinks it, but Pip stops her from doing so).
Adult Written byridergirl1993 April 9, 2008

The title says it all

I would take ANYBODY to go see this movie. It was as sweet and wholesome as you can get. Great for the whole family!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Cute and Charming Family Flick with Mild Content

ENCHANTED is the story of what happens when animated fairy tale and real-life NYC meet. One would expect it to be ugly, but Disney handles it with such wit and charm that makes it irresistable. The funniest and most amusing part of the film is Princess Giselle, played to hilarious brilliance by Amy Adams. When Giselle pops out into our world, she is shocked by modern faucets, electrical lights, and divorces. She handles the latter with charm and ends up bringing a troubled couple back together with her Princess views of love. Adams is made for this role, playing Giselle like a giddy, naive child, scared of the change but embracing and anticipating of the possibilities. There is some mild innuendo and suggestive humor. Robert, the hero, walks into the bathroom just as Giselle is stepping out of the shower (he, and the audience, see nothing, as birds enter with a towel for a timely covering). Also, during one part, a young child tells Giselle (no doubt mimicking what she's heard on the street or elsewhere) that when boys see girls with a lot of make-up on their minds are centered on one thing only. When Giselle asks what, the girl replies "I don't know. No one ever tells me". Positive behavior pervades the film discouraging things like giving up and divorcing, and encouraging repentance, commitment, and true love. Highly reccomended!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byarudek805 September 26, 2009

Adult Written bydkiss April 9, 2008

Loved it!!!

One of the few movies that my six-year-old son and I agreed to see twice. Loved the music and the allusions to past Disney classics. Amy Adams does a great job as a true to life Disney character. Would probably see it a couple more time, but will wait for it to come out on DVD.
Adult Written bymychza April 9, 2008

New Favorite Fairy Tale!

My kids are very young (under 5) and they both loved it. They did not understand any of the more adult things or the alcohol reference although some older kids might. The fighting with the dragon was a little scary for them, but we held their hands and watched it together and they were excited when the "mean lady" was gone. Someone else made a comment about the divorce people fighting being inappropriate, but later they make up which shows kids to work out their problems rather than give up. Also, in response to the comment that Giselle is inappropriate because the story promotes the "love the one you're with" idea, that is not the point at all. Giselle just met Edward and was set to marry him after a day when they had never spoken or spent any time together. The movie spoke more about not rushing into things and taking time to get to know the person before you marry them and about following your dreams.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Brilliant, hilarious spoof

This terrific parody of Disney Princess movies is perfect for kids aging out of the genre. James Marsden and Amy Adams are a hoot as a stereotypical fairytale prince and princess trying to cope with modern day Manhattan...while singing! One of the funniest, cleverest movies ever with several wonderful characters, and many sly in-jokes. I rate this as slightly older than CSM does, because I think kids will enjoy it much more if they're old enough to have seen (and wearied of) the standard Disney princess romances, and can catch the references. Two minor complaints: I like that Giselle's "rival" Nancy is not portrayed as a villain (and gets her own happy ending), but the mockery of Robert's attempt to provide strong female role models for his daughter really grated, ("A BOOK?" his daughter says in disbelief). And while the girl bonding scene between Giselle and Morgan was sweet, did it have to involve shopping at luxury stores with Daddy's gold card?
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylydiafaith January 2, 2014

Boring and NOT appropriate for children!!!

Sadly I let me kids watch this without reading the actual user reviews. This movie has way too much sexuality in it for children!! I am frustrated with Common Sense movie review as there was NO Warning for all the sexy stuff in their "What Parents need to know" section! (I regrettably did not read user reviews.) Giselle is naked (no nudity shown) but the IDEA of sexuality is all there, especially when she then falls on him. She touches his bare chest in a sexual way and her dresses are waaaaay to low - know wonder why little girls always want to show skin this kind of crap is constantly thrown at them!! What are we doing to our children??? For anyone who thinks this movie is appropriate for children of ANY age has sadly been affected by our current culture's numbness to sexuality. Besides all that - this movie is BORING!!
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byTudorMom August 10, 2013

One of our absolute favorite family night movies.

Adult Written byJEDI micah January 25, 2013

A DISNEY CLASSIC!!!

Before this movie, we were all stuck watching The Princess Bride, which I thought was a funny movie. Now, here's Enchanted, my new favorite princess movie! It combines animation with live-action, but it's not like Who Framed Roger Rabbit (another great movie!!!). Enchanted has a simple story line, funny characters, and good singing! this is an amazingly funny and memorable princess movie for Disney fans!
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy January 24, 2013

Animation mixed with live-action? COOL.

This is a hilarious movie for the whole family.It is a great way to spend some time.It has good animation,nice acting,awesome action/adventure,cool romance,and hilarious jokes all around.I recommend Enchanted.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 January 7, 2013

u can just talk here

Peeps overeacted. check this out. scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=276863#p276863 I am quitting the forums. Maybe u can convince me 2 come back.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very disappointing

The romance has a few kisses, the violence is mild (though the climactic battle with a dragon at the end could scare some sensitive little ones).
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg December 16, 2011

I wouldnt rewatch it

Its just fine...medeocre. Its not a movie I would want to watch over again or go buy. Just like any other princess movie.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

AWESOME FILM

A scene not mentioned up there is a SEXUAL TENSION scene, I'm not sure if kids will react to this.. Giselle puts her fingers on his bare chest (he's just wearing a ROBE! ) and he looks down at her hands touching his skin. He leans forward to kiss her, but walks away to his bed and pulls together his robe. It's obvious he wanted to kiss her, but he was thinking of his girlfriend and didn't. There is also a reference to sex I will mention later. Great film! I think it's appropriate for children! One scene not mentioned is when Giselle is getting her hair done and she talks to the little girl. The little girl says something like.."My Dad says men are only after ONE THING!" and Giselle (not familar with the human world) says "And what is that?". The little girl doesn't tell her as she doesn't know herself. Your child may ask what this is. Overall an 'enchanting' film with magic, songs and fantasy. I think it's beautiful! It's one of my favourite films and I've seen it countless times! Over and over again! One 'scary' scene not mentioned is when Giselle gets a sword and she goes onto the top of the tower to face the dragon. Robert falls and Giselle throws the sword at him (not to kill him, but to use the sword to catch onto this clothes and the pole to hold him up). At one point it looks as if it is going to slice his wrist, but it misses and catches the cuff of his shirt, which holds him onto the pole before he falls. The Dragon also falls to her death and explodes into glitter, which I thought was kinda funny. The evil lady also uses a sword which is scary for kids, but she doesn't hurt anyone. It's a comical film with just the right touch of romance! And yes, it does not have a good moral for children as Robert just leaves his girlfriend..nearly FIANCE! for Giselle in a very cruel way if you ask me and he also is deeply attracted to Giselle when she lives with him. It's strongly obvious he is attracted to her in various parts of the film. Also, Robert is a DIVORCE counsellor, which is a bit weird for a kids film. Slightly hypocritical as he left his girlfriend for a woman he knew for like 2-3 days?!
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 18, 2011

Not even good for adults

I don't even like it for adults. All I remember was there were definitely sexual parts in it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written by101davies April 15, 2011