All parent member reviews for E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

Adult Written byJenPete November 7, 2010

TERRIBLE foul language makes this otherwise fantastic family film inappropriate

We had great memories of this film and hoped to share it with our 8 and 10 year olds. WOW! I'm sure glad we previewed it. The use of foul language is absolutely inappropriate for what would otherwise be a fantastic family film. There are, of course, tense moments, and some discussion should be had with young children about e.t., his origins and his appearance. Spielberg did a great job building tension visually and with the help of John WIlliams' score. We'll save this for when the kids are older.
Adult Written bylillybaby April 9, 2008

I might have enjoyed it if I was older

My parents showed me this movie when I was about 4-5 years old. It is one of my first life memories as well, just not in a good way! The ET character freaked me out, my parents kept trying to reassure me it was "friendly" but I wasn't buying it. Anyways, I was hiding behind a bunch of pillows on the couch the entire movie and I had nightmares about him for years after. I have never been able to force myself to watch it again, and probably never will. Even as an adult, the sight of it gives me the creeps. Maybe I was an overly sensitive 5 year old, but I would wait a few more years to show it to a child.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byAnthony_LA September 26, 2010

Probably best for 8 and over if you don't feel like reassuring the kids every 5 minutes

My 6-year old boy and 4-year old girl got scared during certain scene - we needed to explain it was just a movie. Once they got over their initial fear, the really enjoyed the moved. The film has potent messages and is a real tear-jerker.
Parent Written byBobMarley112 March 27, 2011

Should go in your 80's movies collection

Very good movie about a loveable, curious and freindly alien who is accidentaly left behind on earth during a visit. The little guy meets up with Elliot his human equivalent, who does everything he can to get his friend back home. Heart touching movie good for young kids, but not too young because it might scare them. Be sure if you buy it, to see which edition it is, through the years the movie was changed, one was changed to an R rating
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bymom2twins July 5, 2010

Maybe one more year ...

In a fit of nostaglia, my husband and I broke out the old VHS tape of "E.T.," thinking that the time would be good for our 6-year-old twins to watch it for the first time. (They are currently in love with the "baby aliens" in "Toy Story" and also seem highly intrigued by space and space travel.) My main concern going in was that there would be too much "talking" to hold their attention. In the end, that wasn't the problem. While at first both seemed to love the movie and even started playing out scenes afterward, they later seemed fixated on why E.T.'s fellow aliens would have "left" him behind and why the "mad scientists" were so intent on catching and/or hurting him. Most telling was the alternate plot they then made up. In their version, E.T. had made it to his ship on time, right at the beginning of the movie, got into his seat and was strapped in with a seat belt, to fly home safely with his friends. Wouldn't have made much of a movie, but they seemed to like it. (I also wasn't thrilled by some of the swearing by the kids, which I thought was really gratuitous -- but that's probably another review.)
Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Terrific movie with mild language

I first saw this movie when I was about 3 at my Grandmama's house. The opening scene where you hear E.T. breathing and see his hand and also the part where Elliot finds E.T. in the cornfield and they both scream scared me to tears. I was about 6 when I watched it again and LOVED it!! I know there is some bad language in the movie, but I honestly didn't remember or understand it when I was a child; I only noticed it when I watched it again as a teenager. It's a wonderful movie that every child, at the right age, will love!!
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug August 13, 2009

Perfect for 9- or 10-year-olds and up

Although there is some language "P--is breath", dammit, s--t, son of a b--ch, the movie is a classic. It really captures the perspective and feelings of a 10-year-old boy. This an awesome, emotionally and imaginatively engaging movie. The "p--is breath" went right past my son as he said he didn't quite catch what they said. Thank goodness! The drunkeness went past him too.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Good Family Movie

This is a very good movie that is entertaining, funny, and sad all in one.
Adult Written bysmog April 9, 2008

Great movie, just not for anyone under at least 10

I love this movie, I really do. I was excited to show it to my son who's five and loves anything about aliens, monsters etc. So we watched it. I was SHOCKED at the language! I mean aside from the sh*t there was p#nis head, d*&#he bag etc. Thankfully he didn't catch it the first time around but he won't be watching this for quite a while. It's too bad too, it's a really cute movie aside from the language.
Educator and Parent Written byMsResearch November 11, 2014

Heed My Words!

Dear parents, As a three-year-old, I was summoned by my parents to the living room of our little apartment. They told me to look at the TV. I watched a boy offer Reese's Pieces to a figure shrouded in darkness. When the terrible head and neck were revealed, I was paralyzed in fear. I could not move. I could not speak. I wanted to scream and cry, but I couldn't. Finally, I forced myself to turn to my parents. Still unable to form words, I began to cry and ran to my room. Thus was the beginning of my terrible fear of E.T. For years, I was plagued with nightmares and anxiety. Any silhouette with the same shape reduced me to tears. When I reached fourth grade, I began to obsessively cover or change any shapes that would transform into his frightening appearance when the light were turned out. Night lights didn't help much; the light would produce new shadows. I constantly looked over my shoulder in terror, for fear that he would suddenly appear behind me. The slightest suggestion of him would send chills down my spine, and trigger an all-too-familiar lump in my throat. To this day, when I enter an F.Y.E. in the mall, my friends must block his likeness in the action-figure section, for fear that I will scream and leave a MsResearch-shaped-whole in the wall. So many stories...but I digress. Caution, parents! You may look upon this figure with affection or even love! You may yearn to introduce your children to this award-winning film! However, I insist you resist! Spare your child from the pain I was caused! This is the testimony of one who knows! DO NOT SHOW YOUR PRESCHOOLER THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL!!! THEY TOLD ME HE WAS AN ACTOR IN A SUIT, NO DIFFERENT FROM MY TEDDY BEAR!! I THEN COULD NOT TOUCH MY TEDDY BEAR! THEY TOLD ME THAT HE IS ACTUALLY A LOVABLE CHARACTER WHO I MISUNDERSTOOD!! I WAS POSSESSED WITH IMAGES OF HIM TRYING TO CATCH ME TO MAKE ME UNDERSTAND!! UNDERSTAND THIS: IF YOU SHOW A LITTLE KID E.T., SHE WILL BE SCARRED FOR LIFE! Love, MsResearch P.S. Sorry for shouting. As you can see, this is a very sensitive subject which I felt compelled to share with the world. P.P.S. I said "Really good" because my inner Spock thinks it's likely that humans awarded it for a reason.
Adult Written byLowe's man September 24, 2014

essential viewing for those who are ready

Several parents have said that either they or their children were frightened by the movie when they were younger or their young children are frightened by the movie now. I understand this. But do let me say that we watched it in the theater as a family when my youngest sister had just started kindergarten. She wasn't frightened. (Neither were the rest of us for that matter.) I agree with you that E.T. deserves a red light for 4 and under, a yellow light for 5 and 6, and a green light for 7 and up. The reason why E.T. gives his famous line, "E.T., phone home", is because he's homesick, a feeling that many young children get when they're away from home for the first time. Elliot helps him get used to his temporary "shelter". Soon Elliot's siblings form a bond with E.T. as well. This is a movie about friendship. It's both happy and sad. Those who are "ready" for this movie should watch it. Since the language was only brief and went by so fast, I never noticed it. Most kids won't either. Since the scene where he briefly sipped beer went over my head when I was a kid, I assume that it'll go over the heads of most kids.
Educator and Parent Written byJen F March 19, 2014

Still as good as I remember

I wanted to add that in addition to some under the breath swear words (which my kids did not pick up on) at one point Elliot turns to his older brother and in obvious anger calls him "Penis Breath," which my son picked up on instantly being words that he recognized.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySternAndFair February 23, 2014

Be Warned- there IS disobedience and potty-talk

Yet again, Stephen Speilberg happens to pollute the air with a message about a "Penis breath" said by a child. Also, may I add that young Eliot WAS disobeying his parents and the law by harbouring a fugitive aliens who was so carelessly portrayed as the protagonist. There is also a smoking cigarette and frequent reference to the drugs known only as "mollys" and is sold at discount. Now as for the parents' attitude in the film it was very much a one of carefree indulgence which begs the question. "Shall my children expect me to be as like the parent of the child of which the film they are watching to be?" And the answer, Yes of course. For it is known to be so. And so I can only say this movie is innappropritate for youngsters and does not belogn upon the shelves. In the defense, there happened not to be much sexy-talk although some was not so sexy and more potty-talk. Even though this was the "penis" word in the context of which it was said happened to not be one of sexy.
Parent Written bykristakj October 18, 2013

For older than 7

My son is 7 and was still scared by ET so I think depending on your child you may want to wait a few years
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byBigTex5 September 28, 2013

Not suitable for Age 7

Age 7 is not appropriate given the drinking, language, and scary scenes.
Parent Written bycjland January 20, 2013

Subtle Inappropriate Language

17 minutes in, Elliot says to his brother "Penis Breath". This was about the time I turned it off. Also..during their game at the beginning, there is a ton of "smoke" and just kids in the scene. You do not see the cigarettes...but it is implied.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 27, 2012

True classic!!!

E.T is a wonderful film! It sure brings back great childhood memories and although some think that the language is a big issue, it really isn't because it goes right over kids heads! Kids are too interested in the story to care about that stuff. The name calling is common for children and siblings, at least there are no explicit words to worry about. E.T is such a heartwarming film, it is a true classic! Some content may be a little frightening for sensitive children and there are references to alcohol and a child imitating it. There is a little bit of flirting between kids but it's cute. Violence only occurs when E.T is being chased and captured, it's also sad because Elliot feels for his best friend. I love the messages of friendship and loyalty between Elliot and E.T, everyone needs that ultimate friend that's there for you always through thick and thin. The adventure is a lot of fun and families are sure to enjoy. Don't let some language here and there stop you from enjoying it with your child/children, make it a childhood memory for them!
Educator and Parent Written bymjlCT November 22, 2012

Still a good flick after all these years...

Although there are things in this film that we normally don't let our kids watch, we thought after today's holiday feast, we'd settle on the couch to share a happy memory from our own childhoods. We unsealed the ET VHS tape I've had since 1988 when my dad bought it for me and I was too cool to watch it and both our daughters (4.5 and nearly 7 years old) enjoyed it. The product placement is overt, but so dated the brands are less-than recognizable. The insults and language was the most shocking thing when I saw this as an eight year old, and still found it so today (I never forgot hearing "pen** breath" and trying to figure out what the heck that meant as a kid). There are a couple of scenes with guns in this version (I have heard that the re-release modified this postproduction?? Again, we have the original VHS so I don't know). There is high drama and it is as exciting and emotional a film as I would recommend to parents with youngish kids. However, being that we have a couple of family friends who live far away now, I felt my kids would connect with this in a positive way, and that seems to be the case. Overall, for our family, a movie where kids have deep insight and are the primary agents of change is a positive thing and in this case, youth-matters as a message is stronger than any negative messages. Even the "bad guy" is really on ET and Eliott's side. And I LOVE how the siblings all work together, even if there are some moments of not-the-best-choices-making. Of course, this would all be solved today because at least one of those kids would have had a cell phone... Still, this is so preferable to the cheesy CG carp that is marketed to kids today that is void of any useful messages at all.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 21, 2012

et the extraterrestrial

Families can talk about the way that the adults and the kids in the movie see things differently and have a hard time understanding each other's perspective. Why do Elliott and his siblings understand E.T. in a way the adults in the movie can't? How does the movie portray parent-child relationships? Could Elliott have talked to his mother about E.T.? Compare E.T. to other movies featuring aliens. Why are aliens usually scary and dangerous rather than peaceful?
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMrs. Peterson June 25, 2012

Ye Olde Sad Alien Movie

I never saw this as a kid, but my husband did and he thought our 6 year old (who is a huge fan of Iron Giant and wasn't scared at all by Jaws) would love it. Instead, he was devastated at the end, and wouldn't stop crying. He says it's the worst, saddest movie ever, and he's going to tell everyone not to see it. I tried reassuring him, that ET would always be in Elliot's mind, but he's not buying it. The brazen product placements are kind of hilarious, with Eliot explaining what human life is by describing the function of various consumer products. I thought the kids swearing was kind of refreshing, as well as the mom leaving the kids home alone with an alien in the house. We DID used to swear a lot, and our moms DID leave us home all the time.