Parent reviews for Eternals

Eternals Poster Image

Worst Marvel Movie Ever

I was really let down with this one. The recent Spider-Man and Shang-chi were great. This one is, total waste of time. Hopefully, they do not use this director again.
6 people found this helpful.

Rotten Tomatoes is BROKEN

Cmon, there's really something wrong here. The Eternals can't possibly be the worst MCU movie ever, that's hogwash. Watch it yourself and decide. it's not perfect but it's worth the watch'.
4 people found this helpful.
Eternals is definitely an underrated movie. The character depth was fantastic. I personally enjoyed the story and the introduction to new MCU characters. It was funny, entertaining, and had a great plot.

3 people found this helpful.

Visually stunning and ethnically diverse

Oscar winning director Chloe Zhao (Nomadland) brings something new and unique to the MCU. Eternals introduces 8 new characters different from anything we’ve seen before. 5 out of the 8 Eternals are ethnically diverse, with Lauren Ridloff’s character Makkari having a disability (deaf) and the introduction of Marvel’s first openly gay character. Eternals is a superhero movie for everyone - kids who have yet to see themselves as a hero will find they can relate to these characters on a personal level. This movie centers on the Eternals fighting against the Deviants to save humanity and the Earth from destruction. Violence is present as it is a Marvel movie, but it is less than in other MCU movies in the past. The context in which the violence is present is also very different. We witness the genocide during the Aztec Empire and the bombing of Hiroshima. This can hit young or sensitive viewers hard as these events are not fictitious. There are large scale battle scenes between the Eternals and the Deviants but no blood is shown as the movie has a PG-13 rating. Characters are injured (but are healed soon after) and we do lose some of the main cast. There is much more romance than in other MCU movies but still less compared to movies geared towards tweens and teens. Characters kiss and embrace each other and there is one love scene (between 2 consenting adults) where sex is implied. It is very brief, and the lighting is dark. We only bare backs and shoulders. Language is minimal (sh*t, h*ll, a**). With its sweeping visuals and its acclaimed cast, Eternals is perfectly crafted that only a director like Chloe Zhao could pull off. The run time is 2 hours and 37 mins which may be challenging for younger viewers to sit through (especially because it does not feature the usual Marvel characters) but older, mature viewers (12+) should be able to appreciate the cinematography and the storyline. This movie has themes of empathy, compassion, respect, sacrifice, and unconditional love. “When you love something you protect it.”

2 people found this helpful.
Rated M13

Big Disappointment

Wow! I’ve been a Marvel Fan for many years. But this movie was awful! Instead of them providing an action packed movie with great storyline and interesting character development to match the storyline they just threw as much social issue crap based characters they could into this movie to check all the boxes. What a disappointment! It didn’t make a bit of sense.
1 person found this helpful.
Don’t take kids to watch.

Watch it first

This is a perfectly fine Marvel movie, with a level of violence that is at the level of or, perhaps even lesser than other Marvel films. Very popular MCU films to date have shown people being intentionally drowned, shot in the head, and attempting suicide (Civil War), screaming as they're tortured (Infinity War), stabbed (Avengers, and others), dropped from heights, shot, beaten, burned, blown up, etc., if your kid has made it through any/all of that, then they can handle this movie. In terms of violence, I appreciated that Eternals has more fantastical violence (battling monstrous but unreal creatures) rather than realistic/gritty/street level-type violence. The sex scene is very brief, and if you've watched it ahead of time (as I recommend you should), just make a note of when it happens so you can either skip over it or have your younger viewers cover their eyes. There is movement and implied nudity, including a man's bare back, but only for ~30 seconds. Nothing is lost from the plot by skipping over it. And, of course, if you've already gone over birds-and-bees with your kids and/or they're a bit older, they won't be seeing anything other than a physical expression of love between a committed couple, which is honestly fairly wholesome compared to a lot of other representations of sexuality in media. Overall, it's not a great movie, with a meandering plot and some pretty charisma-free performances, but if your kid(s) are fans of the MCU and are keen to learn more about the universe these stories take place in, it's an interesting addition. The diversity of the cast, female lead, and the positive focus on the importance of love in all its forms are also pluses in terms of showing this film to younger viewers.

Zhao Gives Your kids the sex talk

So the whole reason that Chloe Zhao put the sex scene in was because she wants to show kids that sex is part of love and there's nothing wrong with that. She crossed a major line. What is really wrong is that this woman and Disney think they're the ones in charge of giving our kids the sex talk. That's our responsibility as parents and it will happen when we say so. Who does Zhao think she is to want to show what love and sex is to my kids? Would anyone think it appropriate if Zhao just came up to your kids a started talking to them about sex? But she thought it's okay to implement this "teaching" into a movie - maximize the influence. Disney has crossed a line. It's fine if Marvel wants to make more adult movies (I'm a fan of Deadpool), but rate them correctly and keep them off my kids entertainment.

1 person found this helpful.

Sexual content, overrated movie.

Unnecessary sex scenes