Parent reviews for Ever After

Ever After Poster Image

Terrible representation of Roma/ traveler culture and people

I personally like this movie even more than most fantasy / princess remakes or re-imaginings and the cast is delightful. However, and I'm not prude when it comes to language, the language and suggestive behaviors seem skirting the line and excessive even for PG-13... Maybe closer to a TV-14 or Euro 14/15 rating. Otherwise I would let 9-11 year olds watch it! Additionally the depiction of Roma/ travelers as thieves / g**sys and that the princess supposedly gets gy**ed by them really hasn't aged well and shouldn't be so easily accepted. It is certainly not in the name of good representation to all cultures or the new value of 'Diversity' that CSM currently highlights.

1 person found this helpful.

I've always loved the tale of Cinderella

I love this movie,one of the best retelling story of Cinderella yet! I've always loved the story of Cinderella,the Disney versions and lots of other ones as well. But this one is my favorite! In this version (Danielle, Cinderella) Is very brave and stands up for what she believes in. I just love it!

Good and Bad

This is better than the Disney version of "Cinderella" because Danielle stands up for herself and the prince falls in love in her because she is strong, powerful and kind rather than because she was pretty.I do also think that they showed some images that I think were too scary like the whip marks on Danielle's back, and there is a lot of sexy scenes between Danielle and the prince. They show a lot of things that weren't realistic like fireworks which weren't invented yet and Leonardo da Vinci lived in Italy, not France.

After

The Best Cinderella Adaptation Ever! (Mild Spoilers)

This movie was so well done. The scenery was beautiful, the language and the period precise, and the actors flawless in their portrayal of their characters. I was especially impressed with Drew Barrymore. The way she played Danielle, (Cinderella) was so real and vivid, and I felt as though Drew really felt was she was playing. I could relate to all of the characters, (Well, the good ones anyway) and was so impressed with the director and the film technicians. There were a few curse words, such as damn, hell, and one use of Horse Sh*t, but this was very quick and would go over kids heads. There is this one scene where Danielle gets sold to a man who looks like he intends to kiss her, and perhaps more, but she manages to escape. This is such an empowering movie for women and feminists, and I loved the strong female lead. I love this movie, and definitely think it is one that needs to be on any ones movie shelf.

Great storytelling of Cinderella story

This is one of my treasured home movies. Drew Barrymore is the PERFECT choice for the lead. It wouldn’t be great if she’s not in it. The scriptwriter made the story of Cinderella relatable and closer to reality, devoid of Fairy godmother and magic. It deals with a heroine who is self-possessed, independent and warm, not to mention, intelligent and a prince who, turns out, could change for the better and appreciate his station in life. I allowed my eldest daughter to watch it when she was 11 and she loved it. There is nothing to worry about the kissing, the Disney cartoon movies are loaded with those that my daughters can anticipate it by the end of each movie.

Missed traumatic detail

I looked this movie up out of curiosity. Granted, my children are incredibly sensitive and empathetic, all three of them (10, 8, 6) had nightmares from this movie because of the traumatic scene where the girl's father has a heart attack and dies. It isn't graphic or gory in any way, but the intense emotions and tears were too much for my kids.

Old favorite, still great

This was my favorite movie for years but I had not watched it with my own children until recently. We all fell in love all over again with Danielle and the Cinderella story. Comparatively it is a very clean movie, but beware that Da Vinci does say he is the "bas--- d son of a peasant" and "horsesh--". I had not remembered any language so it took me a little by surprise. The way in which he uses these words is comical and I felt that it was still appropriate for my two kids.

Maybe I'm just too permissive, but...

My wife and I had been wanting to rewatch this with our girls for some time. I was concerned when I saw that it was rated PG-13 - our twin girls are only six and a half - and I honestly couldn't remember anything in it that would justify the rating. Turns out M. Le Pieu (Don't know whether I'm more amused by his sharing a character name with the overamorous skunk from the Warner Brothers 'toons or his being played by Riff Raff from the Rocky Horror Picture Show) makes a double-entendre about his being well-endowed (with wealth) and Leonardo responds to Prince Henry's lame defense of his poor treatment of Danielle with "Bullsh*t". That's it. Really, so far as I could tell, there was nothing else that concerned me as a parent. That's my response to the possible negatives. The *positives* of the film that are worthy of noting as a parent: 1) As far as Cinderella films go, it is *very* pro-woman. The heroine isn't in need of rescuing and stands up for herself and for those she loves. The prince is the one who needs to do some severe character growth in this one. 2) Opportunities to pause and have brief educational talks with the kids about the problems of class-based societies and about who Leonardo DaVinci was. 3) The film is also very pro-reading, pro-literature, in the same way Disney's Beauty and the Beast was. 4) Your kids already know the basic story of Cinderella so they can pay more attention to the details.

Great movie, good message

This is a great re-telling of Cinderella, with some positive role models. The hero stands up for others and doesn't need rescuing. We laughed and cried and loved this movie!