All parent member reviews for Ever After

Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Great flick

My 4 yo woke up early from his nap while I was watching this on TV recently. He wanted to watch and I figured I'd let him until something objectionable showed up. Nothing ever did. I wouldn't recommend it for little ones but there's certainly nothing wrong with them being in the room while an older sib enjoys. I don't recommend it b/c I just don't think it would appeal to them. I love how Cinderella is a strong woman with solid values - not a one sided Disney character.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This is a great movie that really supprised me. I thought it would be another romantic mush but it actually entertained me. I would put this on a must see list.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bykerwin70 April 9, 2008

This movie is a real find!

I watched it myself and loved it. After I bought the DVD, I wondered if my two daughters, now 7 and 4, would enjoy it as well. They love it and consider it one of their favorites. A big plus for me, having girls, is that this Cinderella has her own values and is always true to herself. I also enjoyed the addition of Leonardo da Vinci into the mix. I can deal with the fighting sequences, i.e. mostly swordplay, as it is not gratuitous. The review mentioned an expletive, but, honestly, we missed it. I really didn't have to worry about my then-3-year-old watching this movie at all. Love it!
Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

A smart retelling of a familiar tale

I always liked this movie and my daughter, who has loved the Cinderella story since she was little, likes it too. It shows Danielle as a strong intelligent woman who rises above a bad situation. One scene that bothered me -- when the stepmother beats Danielle and the next scene shows her stepsister bathing the wounds on her back and she couldn't walk well.My daughter missed it, but it seemed unnecessary domestic violence as the stepmother was already sufficiently mean. Otherwise it's a very smart retelling of a very familiar story. It even has Danielle saving the prince in one scene!
Adult Written bydeb2 November 10, 2014

Great movie, good message

This is a great re-telling of Cinderella, with some positive role models. The hero stands up for others and doesn't need rescuing. We laughed and cried and loved this movie!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byThe Benevolent ... May 17, 2011

Adult Written byCami_ron_ron10 December 13, 2009

Lovely movie

I love this movie and was shocked to finally realize it was PG-13. I had never noticed till today. My only question is, if it IS PG-13, why is it rated "on" for ages 6 and up? That doesn't make much sense to me. But if you mute the one part that DaVinci's language gets a little colorful, overall it's a wonderful movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

ever after

Families can talk about how this movie differs from more traditional versions of the Cinderella story. is its central message different as well? Does the stepmother truly not love Danielle? Is the feeling mutual? Why does Danielle still seek her love?
Adult Written byPhoebeana March 25, 2012

YES YOU WILL LOVE IT!

What a great movie from start to finish if you love Cinderella you will love it and if you don't like Cinderella you will still like this film I promise. There is a little violence, language, and a bit more kissing then I would recommend for my children but I think you will love it and be dazzled to death by it!
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Without Drew Barrymore, This Would Be A PERFECT Movie

I like this movie a lot. When I was younger, I loved it. But as I grew older I began to realize what a bad and annoying actress Drew Barrymore is. I know most people will probably disagree with me, but I thought that this movie could have been much better with any good actress in the lead role besides her. She is so pouty that it's distracting. This film is very witty and well-written and has so many quotable lines. "I'm only here for the food," is one of our favorites. There is some sexual innuendo and language in it, but honestly, I never noticed it when I was younger and by the time kids are old enough to notice it, I think they will probably be mature enough to handle it. The costumes aren't too bad modesty-wise and the s-word (yes, there really is one) is almost inaudible since it is muttered (by Leonardo Da Vinci no less!). I like this movie, and think that it is fairly appropriate for kids.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Don't remember it being bad at all!

I saw this when I was a kid and don't remember anything wrong with it. It's touching and well made
Parent of a 5, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written byNicholltribe March 23, 2010
Adult Written bymdread May 1, 2009

This is one of our FAVORITE movies. The beginning scene where the father dies might need some pre-discussion with younger children.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bythatkelly April 27, 2009
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written byDLJones3423 April 9, 2008

A heart warming variation of the Cinderella tale

This movie was cast well. Drew Barrymore does a wonderful job as Danielle, and the rest of the cast does well in their roles. The stepmother is heartless and the older stepsister is selfish in very believable ways. I like how the younger stepsister sees through them. The prince's wedding with the Spanish princess left me laughing. The ball left me in tears. I rated this movie for kids 8 and up not because of any issues but because a younger kid might find it a little boring.
Adult Written bymomluvs3 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byusaid4ever.... April 9, 2008

THIS MOVIE SHOULD BE USED AS A FORM OF TORTURE!!!

I hated the movie. i'm sorry, but it was just so boring!!! and im a senior citizen...so this was beyond boring. it had a lot of lovey-dovey rubbish in it...and if i get the chance to talk to the director, you do not want to see me with a rake!!! i payed good money to watch a good movie...and look what i got! boo! i hated the movie, and i POSITIVELY DISCOURAGE anyone who wants to come out of the movie looking alive.thank-you for listening to my review!
Adult Written bysoymissk8 April 9, 2008