Kid reviews for Ever After

Ever After Poster Image

Beautiful movie.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. I love the fact that it's set in 16th century. I personally love everything that is attached to history. It's a story about a couple who's not allowed to be together. There are lots of good messages in this movie. It's well described how people lived in the past and how was it like to be a slave. This movie teaches you a lot about history and how things changed until today. Every family should watch this beautiful story about love.

2 people found this helpful.

My Childhood

This will always be THE Cinderella story to me. The Disney live action was beautifully done, but largely superficial, and Ella was annoyingly martyr-like. I love that most of the characters in "Ever After" are rounded and likable -- even stepmother has her moments. The messages portrayed are both to show kindness and to be compassionate--to stand up for yourself and others. Who cares if it's historically accurate--it's a fairytale.

1 person found this helpful.

It would be 5 stars - except for the prince!

Wow. This movie is great, and Danielle is portrayed so well. But the prince is so undeserving of her! He has no depth and is never truly kind and real like Danielle is. It sort of ruins the movie because the prince is so cringy. But other than that I love it!

1 person found this helpful.

High

Leonardo da Vinci is Better Than Any Fairy Godmother!

This is a very different take on a dated story. Instead of the Cinderella character being a helpless damsel in distress, she takes control of the story, writing her own narrative. There are a lot of sword fights, unlike other versions of the story. And, let's face it, Leonardo da Vinci is the main attraction.

Awesome twist on Cinderella where she stands up for herself!

This movie is so great! I first saw it when I was five, but I didn't like it much until I was 7 or 8. I'm sure that it would be fine for kids age 5 who are reasonably mature, but they probably would get bored and you would probably have to pause the movie every ten seconds to explain what was going on. There is a little language, mostly from Da Vinci. I think that there are one or maybe two "Da*ns", Da Vinci says "horsesh*t", and Da Vinci says that he is "the b*stard son of a peasant", but there the word is used correctly as an actual word, not a curse word. There is a little kissing between Danielle and the prince, but it's not gross, and most likely little kids will just say "Gross!" and look away. There is some violence. Danielle gives her step-sister a black eye, but the step-sister was stealing Danielle's stuff. The step-mother whips Danielle (not seen), but you do see Jacqueline (the nicer step-sister) putting meat on Danielle's back to treat her wounds. There is also some apple-throwing, and a little sword-fighting, but minimal blood. One of the servants was sold, but Danielle buys him back, and it is made clear that it is criminal to buy and sell people. Danielle is a great role model, showing kids that they don't have to wait around for their prince to come, and they should stand up for themselves and other people.

Good romantic retelling of Cinderella.

Ever After is a 1998 romance movie directed by Andy Tennant and starring Drew Barrymore, Dougray Scott, Megan Dodds, Patrick Godfrey, and Anjelica Huston. Language(3/5): Sporadic language including "s**t", "b**ch", "bastard", "w**ker", "a**", "arse", "hell", "damn", and whispered/muttered "f**k" under character's breath. Sex(1/5): Some mild references to adultery and prostitution, as well as being "well endowed". Kissing and flirting. Revealing clothing that is both male and female. Drinking, Drugs, And Smoking(1/5): Social drinking at a party. Violence(1/5): Black eyes and fights. Sword fighting. Brief domestic abuse is shown, with Cinderella's whipped back seen. Positive Messages(3/5): Love and kindness prevail from negative motivations. Positive Role Models And Representations(3/5): Kind-hearted characters are often portrayed positively. Quality(opinionated): Passable. I'll admit this isn't really a movie made for people like me, but for what it is, it's a good romantic movie. (My rating) PG-13 For some language.

My Favorite Movie!!!!!

Overall this is literally my favorite movie of all time!!! I think it mildly swears twice, but nothing outrageous. My parents are pretty strict about what I can watch, but even though this is rated PG-13 they let me watch it first when I was only 7. Super great movie! An amazing twist in a classic fairy tale!

Fantastic movie, best for teens

I'm saying it's best for teens simply because they'll appreciate it more. It's a wonderful story, and Drew Barrymore nails Ella. Also, go listen to the musical!