Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Ex Machina

Brilliant, emotional, mature sci-fi tale could be a classic.

Adult Written byParamoreFan09 April 26, 2015

Definitely a scary, thought provoking movie.

This is basically "Her" (Spike Jonze's 2013 film) gone wrong. Its format is similar to Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, and like The Shining, the majority of it is watchable with brief scenes of violence. I would definitely describe this movie as a thriller. It's eerie from the get go and at times it's downright scary. That being said, it's very intellectual. It's hard to determine which character is the /true/ villain and makes you think about the morality of artificial intelligence. It's filled with swearing, which, as an 18 year old, I don't bat an eye at. There is a moment of sexual innuendo where the robot's creator mentions the robot has a fully functioning vagina. The creator makes out with a woman, but you don't see more than that. The characters drink heavily and frequently but it doesn't seem glamorized to me. Violence wise, someone slices their wrist (I did not watch this part, it was easy for me to determine when to close my eyes) and the scene is scary. There is a buzzing that gets increasingly louder as the man cuts himself, making the scene sound sinister and frightening. It's brief and when the sound is gone you'll know when to open your eyes. No evidence of this scene is shown afterward. Someone is stabbed slowly, and the most you see is blood pooling and the knife being pulled from the wound. It made me cringe but it's manageable and non-graphic. Overall, I found this movie really interesting. It was thrilling and suspenseful and I didn't really know what to think when it ended, it created some good conversation with the people I went with. If you're into smart movies, robot movies, or even scary movies, I think you'll enjoy this. I'd only take mature 15 year olds who know what this is about and older kids to see it.

Adult Written byPCDberry May 4, 2015

Ex machina very violent with graphic nudity

This movie has strong violence of stabbings from both robots and humans with gallons of blood that is very realistic, with graphic nudity that includes butts, boobs, and gentinals from both male and female NOT FOR KIDS UNDER 17

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byValdoria March 4, 2016

Machoism objectification and exploitation of female actresses

Sad that the directors don't treat their female employees with respect. Wish they would stop making them prostitute themselves as strippers while trying to work. I as a movie goer who loves sci fi, am truly disappointed that I was forced to watch a female objectified while trying to watch the unfolding of a story. Not for anyone who feels that women should be treated with respect.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 20, 2015

Thoroughly interesting and quiet sci-fi drama

No explosions and cartoon wackiness here folks: this is sci-fi like "Twilight Zone," contemplative with a little twist, and few characters. Also: what will hopefully end up being an award winning score. Music has rarely pulled me into drama so much. Isaac excels as the eccentric billionaire with shady motivations, and Alicia Vikander breaks through as the AI Ava, who may have some motivations of her own every time the screen goes red. Gleeson is a little less energetic for me, but the movie still pulls you in with gripping writing, and the special effects are just gravy: really beautiful, minimalistic, gorgeous gravy. This one's a quiet little gem that certainly gets the gears turning: how intelligent can AI's truly become?

Parent Written bynabelj May 17, 2015

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byTV free family May 16, 2015

Alright for teenagers but adults might be disappointed

This movie has a great storyline for a teenager but I found it lacked intelligence, reflexion and smart dialogues for the science fiction and technology fanatic that I am. In short it was boring and highly predictable. Teenagers who have not seen much will most likely be interested. I have placed it for 15 years and above mainly because of the story and background reflexion needed to understand the plot. Younger children will not get anything out of this and my be traumatized by the fact that the robots are very human-like, yet get treated with much disrespect. The violence is a very short part of the movie and aimed mainly at robots , expect for one of the main caracters - although one could say he deserved it. Nudity is quite extensive, it does not bother me because I am French and nudity is not an issue in our country but an American public might be shoked by it. Some might be offended about the heavy drinking but it fits the caracter well and his reasons for drinking can be inferred easily. The good side of this movie is the opening towards a good discussion about humanity and the "use" of the "less human". I would use this as a starter for an ethics discussion about how we allow ourselves to use others when we deem them less human (nazi germany, use of slaves in history and still today) and what makes a human a human.
Adult Written byprankster335 March 2, 2016

Excellent thought provoking movie

An excellent movie that raises questions on the nature of AI and a technological singularity. Maybe difficult for most younger viewers to understand the technological and philisophical aspects of the narritave. The film has some dark tones however, and some secnes are intended to disturb. The three main characthers are all deceptive (one in particular) and mainipulate one another to achieve their goals, though the protagionist does get progressively more noble as the movie progresses. A decent bit of swearing by the cast and some sexual inudendos by the female characthers, but nothing found outside of middle school hallway. There is full female nudity however. Its brief and non-sexual, but nothing is left to the imagination. The antagionist drinks in the film. Alot. But its kept in context of the narriative, and its implied that he isn't an alcoholic. Violence is bloody but brief. The main fight scene is mainly a fight of robotic destruction, with one lead recieving a mortal wound. There is lots of blood but no gore. At one point the protagionist intentonally cuts himself, which may be difficult to watch. However, its not meant to be lethal and fits in the context of the story. Again lots of blood but no gore and relatively brief. Overall 15+, give it ago. Maybe 14 with conseration of the childs maturity and interest in computers and artifical Intelligence.
Adult Written byjeffc1 February 20, 2016

Adult Written bydual January 9, 2016

Decent ADULT sci-fi

Cr2032 3v I know we all have different ethics, morals and family standards, but in my view this is strictly an adult movie. I don't think any teenager should watch the representation of a most successful business owner getting thoroughly drunk on a regular basis while creating a bunch of nude androids and then somewhat sadistically toying with a befuddled employee. That said, as an adult sci-fi it's not bad! I enjoyed the imagery and was basically satisfied with the futuristic tension. Honestly, I'm not sure how many women would appreciate this as it does seem like it would appeal much more to an adult male audience. (Well, I'm sure it certainly would appeal to many teenage boys too if their parents let them see it...)

Adult Written byToriRexX July 23, 2015

Poignant and thought provoking.

This would be an excellent film to screen in a psychology class to gauge how students interpret the definition of AI and the differences between sentient and non-sentient technology, as well as opening the discussion of how far is too far for science.

Adult Written byCatherine B. October 14, 2017
Adult Written byrezashez October 17, 2018
Adult Written byAnna Q. August 24, 2018

Adult Written byJohn P. October 23, 2017

Brainy sci-fi action

Ex Machina is an incredible film that can really teach kids the ethics of AI and machinery, something that's coming to a lot of prevalence in recent years.