Kid reviews for Exodus: Gods and Kings

Moody Biblical battle epic about Moses is gory and dull.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBookNerd1 March 19, 2015

Who Cares About The Inaccuracies?

There is a lot of drama about this movie not being Biblically accurate. I think people are forgetting that they need to be reviewing the movie not its accuracy. This movie was made by atheists so if you are expecting them to translate the story word for word onto the screen you are delusional.
Also there has been a lot of backlash with people saying they didn't like how God was a little angry boy but Moses clearly says that the boy is just Gods messenger, not actually God. In the credits they call the boy the Hebrew word "malak" meaning "angel" not God as many people have mistakenly taken him as.
As far as the movie is concerned I enjoyed it. It felt epic with long sweeping shots over armies and the violence was entertaining but not gory. It fell flat in some parts but overall its enjoyable. The plagues are the best part of the movie, very well done. Rameses was my favorite character of them all.

Again it really doesn't matter if its accurate or not, if you think your kids will get confused read the story afterward. The movie actually made me want to read Exodus again and sparked up a lot of great conversation about the Bible story.
Hope this didn't seem like too much of a rant I just think people should start reviewing the movie not the translation.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBaked Carrot March 19, 2015

CGI Central

In this Ridley Scott movie following the storyline of the Moses, and his struggles to free his people from the tyrannicle Egyptian empire. Amazing cgi (computer generated imagery), but little to no memorable camera shots. Acting is fine, a little cheesy at times, but fine all the same. Some violent scenes, like thousands of dead Egyptian children, Jews being brutally whipped or beaten, battles, executions, ect. Not the worst violence, hence the PG13 rating. Verdict: With spectacular computer generated scenes and moments, and great role models, the movie is fun for teens and adults who are not movie connoisseurs. Kind of unoriginal as far as the original Exodus story goes, but still an interesting and fun interpretation of the original text. Not for younger kids, or people who are squeamish to bloody scenes (ex. lamb sacrafice).

Teen, 16 years old Written bymovie loving teen December 14, 2014

Ridley Scott makes a comeback with the best biblical epic of the decade.

Everyone seems to be hating this movie and I can't quite understand why. This is my second favorite movie of the year (I'll give my top 10 of the year at the end of this review so you know that I do have good taste). Every preformance was spectacular, Bale gives a powerful preformance that perfectly portrays Moses as a simple human being having a moral dilemma with what he believes in and what god means. Joel Edgerton plays Ramseys, Moses bother like best friend who then banished him. You all know this story and its a darn good one, yes Scott takes some creative liberties in the story and they all work. This whole whitewashing controversy does bot bother me, you get the person who can play the part not the person who can look the part. Filled with amazing battle scenes, terrifying plague sequences, great preformances, beautiful CGI and a message that really works. It glorifies god as much as it questions it as most of us do. Some find it boring but to me thats just simply not right its engrossing and beautiful.

My top 10 of 2014.
3. The Drop
2. Exodus: Gods and Kings
1. Birdman

Teen, 16 years old Written byDukeSilver December 13, 2014

Something to think about.

Scott's Exodus gods and kings does bring some impressive features to the screen, but does have its flaws. Action and visuals strongly compliment the dry emotional tone protruding from some weak roles. Don't get me wrong, Christian Bale is outstanding, but other actors can be slightly anti-dramatic . Bale is an incredible actor and really brings out the character as well as ever. Edgerton also brings some powerful material as well a haunting performance during the plagues. Visuals are incredible and they are paired with the fantastic rumble of the soundtrack. One particular scene is perfectly exhilarating as a massive wave crashes down on the Egyptian armies. The film truly resembles Ridley Scott's past work with classic battle scenes and deep conflicting storytelling. You can also expect the over usage of the flag, being one of Scott's favorite prop pieces, which makes for some impressive color filled wide shots. Another important piece of the film is its biblical interpretations. Scott is known for his historical input on films and is usually exceptionally accurate in doing so. He does a wonderful job of bringing the powerful story to the screen and truly does it justice. A particularly interesting character is God's. Scott portraits God as, strange as it sounds, a young child. This is new to the way we portray God and his glory, and compliments the film. Moses and God are involved in some extremely personal ways, the two converse often displaying very conflicting modern dilemmas. The child playing I AM is a very talented actor and brings an uneasiness as well as an innocence to the character.
Something to be aware of is the violence shown in the dark epic. Although not very gory, blood spills from animals as well as humans and can be slightly disturbing. No profane language is said and no sexual content is shown.
All in all the film is worth the price of admission as well as DVD price.

Teen, 16 years old Written byShowman movie13 February 16, 2020

Some changes in the Real Exodus story

I did d not really enjoy this movie, it had some different plot line with the Real Exodus story. It is very violent/intense and some Gordy moments. I suggest everyone 13+ because of violence! This is really not a kid’s movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written byNathan5906 February 2, 2017

One of my favorite Bible movies of all time, and very violent

Language 0/10 - Violence 7.5/10 - Sexy Content 2/10

Teen, 16 years old Written byJessica Pierre May 15, 2016

A Christian? This Isn't Your Cup of Tea

A Christian? This Isn't Your Cup of Tea
Note: If you plan to watch this movie, my review contains spoilers in comparison to what actually happened in the book of Exodus. So I was disappointed with Darren Aronofsky's 2014 Noah, starring Russell Crowe. While this isn't a review about the movie Noah, Exodus: Gods and Kings is very much like it. Their similarities consist with one term and that, my fellow Christians, is fiction. In the beginning, the first alarm that ran through my head started when it said in reference to time, "B.C.E." With those not familiar with this abbreviation, it means "Before the Common Era" in exclusion to "Before Christ." Now if you see this on a 'Christian' movie you're about to start, I'll give you a warning: turn off the TV right there. It is so aggravating how many people claim to have made a Christian movie and not get the facts right. Anyway, in this movie, the story opens up with Moses (Christian Bale) with his family in the pharaoh's palace. A priestess cuts into the organs of a duck, revealing that somebody will save the pharaoh's son's life and become a leader. Moses and his brother Ramesses II (Joel Edgerton) attack a Hittite camp and during the battle, Moses saves Ramesses' life. After this, Moses is sent into Pithom and is met by a Israelite slave Joshua, who takes him into a secret meeting held by Israelite Nun (Ben Kingsley). Nun tells Moses that he is a Hebrew. Moses becomes angry and, when stopped by the pharaoh's men who suspect he is a Hebrew, Moses kills them and flees back to the Palace. Later, the pharaoh dies and Ramesses becomes the pharaoh. But apparently some other Hebrew men overheard Moses and Nun and reports it to Ramesses, who doesn't know if he should believe the story or not. Ramesses brings in Miriam and demands if she is the sister of Moses. In his anger to her continuing denial to protect Moses, he almost cuts of her arm, but is stopped by Moses who tells him that they are siblings. Moses is exiled for being both a Hebrew and killing the pharaoh's guards. Moses comes to Midian, where he marries Zipporah. One night Moses is climbing what is told be "God's Mountain" and is struck in an rock slide. As he lays there, he sees a boy to his side who is stacking up little rocks in the shape of a pyramid and tosses it aside. He asks the boy for help but the boy simply reveals he is "I Am" (aka, God). Moses returns to Zipporah, tells her that he must leave to do what God told him to do -- which is to free the Hebrews -- and Moses returns to Egypt. Moses builds an army and starts to wreck havoc. The boy (God) returns to Moses and tells him to watch as He wrecks havoc. The Nile turns to blood because crocodiles kill each other, locusts swarm, frogs are everywhere. And that's where I turned off the movie. While this may have been better than Noah, it was certainly not the Biblical account of Moses. In the Bible, Moses saw the brutality of the Egyptians beating the Hebrews and intervened, killing the slave master and then fleeing. He came across the burning bush and God's voice came to him, telling him to go get Aaron and confront the Pharaoh with the miracles God was doing to save His people. While in the movie, Aaron did not help Moses and Moses did not approach the Pharaoh time after time and demand to free God's people. While there are other Christians who hold different opinions of this movie, it was bitterly disappointing because events that did not take place in the Bible occurred out of the blue in the movie. It was as if the director did not take it as actual events, but instead of a fictional representation of who Moses was. Either way, the movie's content was all right. There was a kiss (as far as I saw, because I turned it off half way) and some bloody battle scenes. The locusts and flies got to me a little bit, making my skin crawl. But finally, my opinion is that it wasn't a very good representation of the book of Exodus. If you didn't like Noah, you're sure not to like Exodus: Gods and Kings.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAge critical reviews February 19, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 24, 2015
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2015

Epic and thrilling, but very shaky interpretation of the Bible

Some battle violence, one particularly bloody and gory scene when a boat is terrorised by killer crocodile thingys.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCHB_FF5fan June 14, 2015

exodus

if your read the bible you would hate this movie not many true events in this movie a very big disappointment to be honest 13 14 or 15 years old is fine any younger is a little over board.

Kid, 8 years old May 11, 2015

Good action thriller, is extremely intense, is gory.

This thriller is based on the bible story, but now its come to life. This movie is about Moses, and how he fought the king, Ramses. This movie has lots of violence, blood, and death. In a plague scene a river is filled with blood and dead fish. The plagues are also very violent, men are eaten by crocodiles and lots of blood is shown. In one very disturbing scene all the first born Egyptian kids die. This is action/thriller has great special effects. But its still only worth watching on a IMAX 3D screen. My rating PG-13 for: Brief strong bloody violence, battle sequences, including disturbing images.
Kid, 10 years old April 18, 2015

Inaccurate and bloody

This movie is violent and bloody. The worst scene is when a alagators feed on people. Then there is a bloody mess. The river turns red with blood There is stabbing, slashing, people getting hit with an arrow. A slave is whipped. He is shown flogged. The movie was also inaccurate.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBreanna A. April 5, 2015

Exodus: Gods and Kings carries out positive messages, but is very violent

I just finished watching this film today, and I really enjoyed it. It tells the story of Moses and his struggle to free the Jews from Egypt. The acting was very well done and I found Ridley Scott's interpretation of the story of Moses very interesting. The only issue that I had with this film is that it's about 2 hours long. I started watching the film when it was going to 2 pm and by the time I checked the clock again, it was almost 4 pm. So if you're that type of person that doesn't have the patience for long films, then this probably isn't the movie for you. There's also plenty of violence in the movie, including people being hanged, people getting injured and killed in war, children dying, etc. The movie also carries out positive messages and positive role models such as Moses. He never gives up on trying to free the slaves. His faith in God and the love he has for the people is what persuades him to keep on going. Overall I recommend this movie for teens 13+ for the violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byyont_fabnegation March 27, 2015

Okay. That's all.

I just finished watching this movie and I was a little disappointed to be honest. I was all excited that it came out because I really like biblical stories, expecially the story of Moses. I finally got a hold of it, and it was kind of boring actually. Sure, there were some exciting scenes, like the plagues and when Moses parts the Red Sea, but overall, I was fighting to keep my eyes open. It just seemed to drag on. And the movie was pretty violent. There are plenty of executions by hanging, explosions, bow and arrow fires, invasions, sword fighting, and blood *cringe*. No swearing except h*ll, which was surprising.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJohnny brew March 5, 2015

Exodus:gods and kings

13 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byyuukanda333 January 21, 2015

Teen friendly movie with some violence

Teen, 16 years old Written byHello330 January 20, 2015

Off Topic From The Bible

In my opinion,when you watch the movie,it's unrecognizable as Moses from the Bible. Instead it seems as if the director made his own story/movie then basing it from the bible. It's insulting to Christians and to know that it's so different from the bible and making it seem like a WHOLE different story that's based on Moses(Exodous Gods and Kings). Even though the movie was long, it skipped many parts in the bible(maybe because they added some unnecessary details that had never been told in the book). To be honest, I think it was a total waste of money. I don't care about how the graphics are, it's just not right. If you're not going to make a movie right then don't even plan to make one in the first place.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJean Coates January 12, 2015

Great cinematography but a little tedious.

Teen, 14 years old Written byeluv220 December 31, 2014

it was good

Good movie. Like others more but still enjoyed it. Christian Bale did a good job acting. Gore was a little much for pg-13. Great effects. Minor sex and language. This movie may be frightening to some children.