Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fantasia

Breathtaking animation feat -- with some creepy visuals.

Parent of a 1 year old Written byhelenek April 9, 2008

Scene with dinosaurs terrified ME!

My mother told me many years ago that this was my favorite movie when I was very young -- I watch it now and wonder when my son will be able to watch it. I felt the scene with T-Rex killing the Stegasaurus (sp?) to be very disturbing. I love the movie for the music, personally, but don't feel it's appropriate for kids until they're older.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper April 9, 2008

Must-See

A breathtaking movie that delighted me when I was young and will delight your kids too. A great way to introduce children to classical music. There is some topless women but it is in good taste.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bysarahenit September 1, 2014

Some scary parts

Although my son (who is almost 6) was fine watching Fantasia 2000, he was disturbed by the dinosaur scene in the original version, specifically when the stegosaurus was killed by the carnivorous dinosaur. He was so upset that he actually asked me to post this review on common sense media.
Parent of a 7 and 14 year old Written bywavymouth October 5, 2009

good and thrilling too

i love this movie, except that when the dinosaurs die i get the most terrible feeling, like i'm sick.

Educational Value
Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

Not for young kids

I remember this as the first movie I ever saw at a cinema. I was terrified. The wonderful music is too intense when paired with the animation. Anyone who works with music can explain in great detail. The movie came up in a discussion with audio engineers about the effect of music on emotions. I will not be getting this for my child but may get it for myself.

Parent Written byPlague January 28, 2010

Fantasia

A stunning and riveting movie. A definate must see for the ENTIRE family. In my honest opinion, this movie is much greater than it's sequel for sure. The "Night on Bald Mountain" with Chernabog (or Satan himself), would pose to be scary for sensivite children. Other than that, this movie is a instant classic and will be for all time.

Parent Written bybohanfamily July 19, 2010

boring

Too boring! I fell asleep watching this movie.
Adult Written byCarrol23 October 8, 2014

Modestly Unclothed? Yeah, right.

I laughed at the part in the Common Sense Media review where it said, the nymphs are, "Modestly Unclothed." Seriously? Can you be modest and naked at the same time? I don't think so. This movie shows fully naked female fairies and other mythical creatures. I know some people think it's "art," but to me it's just wrong. Even now when I watch it, it doesn't feel quite right. Other than the whole nudity thing, the music is magical and the animation is mesmerizing.

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written bynyjetsfan9 July 28, 2012

Fantasia- Your Mileage May Vary

There are a lot of things to admire in this movie. Kids will really love the Mickey Mouse segment, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but outside of that, there is not much immediately geared towards younger kids. I do remember I was able to get through the Bald Mountain sequence OK when I was younger, but be careful about that one. Just remember to watch this one with your kids, otherwise there is a lot of stuff that will confuse or frighten your kids. It is still one of Disney's finest, no doubt about it
Parent of a 1 year old Written byHolly R. December 17, 2018

It never scared me when I seen this as a young child.

I grew up watching this at such a young age that I cannot remember my first viewing of it, only that I watched it before school age. Never scared me at all. I actually loved the "Night On Bal Mountain" part as a young child even with all the "demonic" looking things. But it's because of that part that I put a higher age range because as an adult I find it more disturbing than I did as a 2 or 3 year old. And while it is still my favorite part it is almost "demonic/Satanic" looking in appearance and the "churchy" scene that follows doesn't comfort everyone else like it did me. The only thing I can say is that I can't recommend this for sensitive children and I can only offer the advice to avoid it until they are 9 or so unless you get them started early like I was.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byJacob D. July 29, 2018

One of Disney's Most Underrated Animated Films

"Fantasia" is one of those films that takes time to fully appreciate as a whole movie. It also depends on the version of film you grew up with. I grew up with the 1990 Restoration version that was released on VHS, Betamax, and Laserdisc as well as the first Region 2 DVD as it was the only version to hear Deems Taylor's partial original voice. It wasn't until I did research and seeing the restored Roadshow version that I began to love Fantasia as a whole film. Kids of all ages will get into "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and "Dance of the Hours". The other segments is an entirely a different. "Fantasia" in my opinion is a wonderful and underrated Disney animated film.
Adult Written byLarlina H. March 15, 2018

Fantasia brings back bad memories

My old music teacher forced us to watch this movie. Its was horrible. Don't waste your time watching this