All parent member reviews for Fantastic Mr. Fox

Parent of a 9 year old Written bydrmama November 29, 2009

Not a kid's movie

Our family, ages 9 to 89, all agreed that this is not a kid's movie. The one positive is that the stop motion animation is artistic and visually interesting. Otherwise, we all agreed (even our 9-year-old) that it had no appealing characters, no positive models, unnecessarily negative language (use of the word "cuss" in every other sentence to replace swearing just raises questions from younger kids), and too much violence. We found any redeeming message so buried underneath the negativity and violence that it was lost on younger kids. We do not recommend this movie.
Adult Written byJenPete June 29, 2010

Hated it! An adult-oriented film wrapped in child-tempting wrapper of stop-motion animation. Sure, it took a lot of work to make this film, but an Oscar? I sure expected more. So many variations of this story have been told in live action films, and I can't think of many that earn a Kid-friendly rating. The scene of the farmers blasting away with shotguns at Fox and his sidekick as absolutely not acceptable for the younger set. I'm super disappointed CSM has rated this acceptable for children ages 7 and up. PREVIEW MOVIES FOR YOURSELVES. Don't count on anyone else to do this for you. Not even CSM.
Parent Written byBlacksmith88 March 18, 2010

Not worth a tinker's "cuss".

I borrowed it. I won't be buying it. It's slow, it's totally rewritten, it's a rip-off. So it's got Clooney and Streep. Big deal. And what is it with Americans, that all the supposedly "good" guys have American accents and the villains get cod-British accents? Oh, pardon me, there's the hick hillbilly rat too - great stereotyping, eh? Not at all up to Roald Dahl's standard of writing. Don't waste your money.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bysarap November 25, 2009

Hated it!

What?!? Did we all see the same movie? Funny? No. Smart? No. Waste of time and money? Yes! Not one real laugh out loud moment. Just because you add the word cuss to replace the real cuss word can't really change the meaning. Even my 5yr old understood the intent. If smoking, drinking, cussing and killing are you and your kids "thing" this movie is for you, for the rest of you don't waste you $!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh February 11, 2011

Kids will enjoy this, but it's not a kids' movie

First, regarding this film's appropriateness for kids: there's some violence and death, mean-spirited human characters, and a self-absorbed father who barely notices his own son. Those things -- while not excessive by any means -- might upset some sensitive young ones, but there's enough broad comedy and human warmth to engage most bright kids. However, though kids are welcome, this is absolutely a movie for grown-ups. The dialog is cracklingly brilliant throughout, and the voice performances -- recorded with the actors in the same room, rare for modern animation -- are pitch perfect. The wit is so pervasive and subtle that I found myself quietly giggling practically from credits to credits. Anyone familiar with Wes Anderson's other movies will recognize his touch in the eccentric family dynamics and front-and-center neuroses of every character. The stop-motion animation seems jerky and primitive at first, but as you watch, you start to realize how astoundingly vivid and detailed the sets and characters are. By then end, Mr Fox was as real to me as George Bailey or Charles Foster Kane... but a heck of lot more fun. No way around saying it: this is a FANTASTIC movie.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byLesliecritter March 29, 2010

Who is this for? How did I get here?

Odd movie... not sure who it is designed for. I thought it was interesting, but not terribly so. Love George Clooney... but couldnt take him seriously. Weirdly still, the previews of "date night" had the word a$$ and discussed "whacking off". Not exactly the full kid package.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byshemum November 6, 2009

I saw this with my 3 kids aged 3, 5 and 11. They are all familiar with the original Roald Dahl story (which this film diverges from significantly) and they all loved it, especially the 5yo. There is some moderate violence and peril (shooting, capture, rabid dog) and a scene where one (bad) character dies (crosses go in his eyes and he floats down the sewer)following a fight with Mr Fox which was quite uncomfortable for the youngest and prompted some questions. Some interesting stuff about parenting and family relationships (living up to parent's expectations, rivalry with cousin etc) which could prompt good conversations and which are happily resolved in the end. Some language and terminology which some may find inappropriate (eg Mrs Fox is referred to as a "town tart"). But overall a good family film which was enjoyable for the adults too.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written bydawnieplus3 April 27, 2010

If you must see then watch it first and be prepared to talk about content...

Didn't care for it at all. The kids lost interest half way through so the "good message" at the end was lost. All they got was a smoking and stealing role model who found ways to make bad decisions look acceptable.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCMMOMMY April 9, 2010

My 4 1/2 year old son loves this movie and so do my husband and I. The craft of the stop animation is fantastic and the story is very entertaining. The movie has truly captured our imagination. This is a great movie to watch over and over with your child and discuss what the characters feel and why they make the choices that they do. It is about a family that sticks together, is imperfect, but learns from mistakes. I do not think the film says that it is ok to lie. Mr. Fox, and unfortunately his family and whole animal community, suffer the consequences of the poor choice he makes to return to stealing from farmers. It certainly shows that Mr. Fox regrets this error and attempts to resolve the situation. To me, that is a good lesson for children, that the choices you make not only affect you, but can affect others too. It celebrates differences and how we can find a unique talent in everyone to appreciate. Plus it is just a fun film to look at. The movie is exciting, but not scary. Relax, watch, and enjoy!
Parent Written byAnimation enjoyer August 10, 2013

Cursing substituted words

they deviate from the story dialogue adding human indiscretions with cursing substituted words. (No age recommended as parents own decision)
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 February 5, 2011

Quality movie that is fun for kids and adults

Great movie. Has a refreshing and different look and feel to the movie. Quality script and entertaining for adults as well.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byBella1612 September 11, 2010

Great story!!!!

Great movie!!! A little odd, but enjoyable for the whole family. We loved it! My kids read the book and really liked the movie.
Adult Written byangrypanda90 August 14, 2010

Classic

Honestly i disagree with the main review. This movie should be a one for violence two tops. I love this movie i thought it was hilarious.
Parent Written byinnocent May 8, 2010

A Fable Rendered Beautifully for our Times

The charm and wit of this film, along with Fox's constant efforts to do good, especially to close the gap between himself and his son, provide rare realistic heart. Fox makes himself vulnerable to make himself the better man, and that is ultmately the message of the story. As a result, he is a leader who inspires his community. The comedy, visual beauty, and precision in the details of this film do justice to the lofty goals of both Wes Anderson's direction and Roald Dahl's original novel. A favorite in our household.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byblisteringpree April 24, 2010

loved it

Parent of a 11, 13, and 15 year old Written bycalzone45 March 26, 2010

Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of the finest family movies I have seen in years. The animation is elegantly crafted, beautifully detailed, and just gorgeous to look at. After the movie my 11 year old stated "its like watching a beautiful moving painting". The characters, dialog, and messages are warm, intelligent, and funny. More importantly the movie does not talk down to children nor dwell on moralistic sledgehammer messages which bore both kids and adults alike. The soundtrack is delightful. The pace is exquisite. If you are intelligent, sensitive, and have a sense of humor, give the gift of viewing Fantastic Mr. Fox to your children. The experience will make you a better parent, and your kids will love you for it.
Parent of a 9, 9, and 11 year old Written byAlexand875 December 20, 2009

Good, not great

My kids and I enjoyed this movie. However, I thought the theme/message was a little over their head (the idea that if when you take things too far, you make trouble for yourself) so they weren't quite sure what to make of the movie. They movie used the word "cuss" instead of swear words, but the dialogue was peppered with a lot of "cuss" words. I thought the writers could have been a little more creative than that.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ December 7, 2009

Whether this movie scares your kids or not may depend whether they know the book. My 6-year-old son has read the book many times, so he had the confidence that he knew what was going to happen & Mr. Fox and all the other "good guys" would survive. Admittedly, it departs tremendously from the book, but the ending is untouched. My son liked this movie as much as he liked the book. I, on the other hand, found the movie tedious, with long sections of pop-psychology babble about why Mr. Fox is motivated to steal chickens, yadda yadda yadda. In the book, there is no such soul-searching. Mr. Fox steals chickens because he is a *fox.* The movie also shoehorns in lots of pop psychology about the Foxes' marriage & the rivalry between 2 adolescent foxes. Now, I can like talky movies with lots of character' development, but this just hit me as a load of cliches and stale jokes. I was really surprised my son liked it. Maybe he liked it *because* all the poorly-done psychobabble went over his head. He said he liked it because there were good guys and bad guys and the good guy was smart. Well, I guess that's as close as it gets to a good message: smart is better than dumb. Otherwise, I found this a big waste of time.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byD71Collier November 30, 2009

Wish I had skipped it

Really didn't appreciate the need for the filmmakers to make the frequent subsitution of "cuss" every time they wanted to use a foul expression in the movie. For example: "Cluster Cuss"... Everyone knows what the second word is supposed to be, and do I really: 1) Want to explain that to my kids or 2) want to be thinking about that language while I watch a "family" movie? I would have prefered screen writing that was more intelligent than that. No actual foul language in the movie (good), but a LOT of foul expressions with the word "cuss" substituted in (bad).
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written byZomorgan October 13, 2014

Outstanding!

I joined this site,purely to defend this film! My little boy has watched it since he was two. It's beautifully crafted,with humour and love. Yes there's animals drinking wine with dinner,the baddies smoke, the husband and wife kiss and there is a hysterical replacing of all bad words with the word "cuss". It's honest, human and really fun to watch as a family because it works on different levels. My kids are now 4 and 10 and we still love it as much as when we first discovered it, Mr Dahl wouldn't have wanted it any other way! The characters are flawed, but they love each other and stick it out as family, what better message could a family film want?! Lighten up guys watch the cussing thing,it's beautiful!! P.s we even have the soundtrack in our car...