Parent reviews for Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ferris Bueller's Day Off Poster Image

Loved as a high schooler, does NOT hold up well

I have only the fondest memories of this film from growing up in the 80's and watching it in cinemas with my friends. It has not held up well. Primary issues: * Ferris is an almost perfect embodiment of privilege. In the current social context, his belief that the rules don't apply to him and he can get away with anything due to his privilege just don't age well into the 2020's * He's kind of a d*ck. If any friend of yours treated you this way, you'd likely tell him to get lost. He's genuinely unpleasant to Cameron, a character deserving of deep empathy * Zero consequences - A richer movie would have explored the consequences of actions. (Spoiler alert) Ferris tips Cameron over the edge and he snaps, wrecking the car (which was 100% Ferris's fault due to cavalierly running the mileage up.) Nothing is explored here. At least the music was good and the Charlie Sheen cameo is as good as I remember, as is the post-credit scene. Anyway, leave this one in the nostalgia locker where it can remain as inspirational as it was in the late-80's.
2 people found this helpful.

It’s a classic for a reason

Spare us the woke reviews and diversity warnings! (I’m going to check and see what they say about What’s Happening, a show I also loved but that did not have a diverse cast.) Good Lord. It’s a classic for a reason. 13 and up given language and sexual content.

To many 🤬

Good but inappropriate

I have watched this movie when I was young and a couple of days ago I walked in on my 10 year old watching this movie. I’ve noticed that Ferris was looking online at a nude woman’s picture and seemed to enlarge her breast size. There is also some bad language and lost of sex, like how Camoren saw Slone Peterson before she got into the hot tub (Slone was nude). Also not good messages and role models about skipping school to ditch.

It is officially my son's favorite movie!

My almost 12-year-old is addicted to Marvel Comics and only watches superhero movies. When I suggested that we watch "Ferris Bueler's" movie, he wouldn't even consider it. Finally, we made a deal: after the first 10 minutes if you still don't like, I give up. He loved it! This movie is now, in his own words, his favourite movie ever! :-)

One F-word in an otherwise PG-rated movie.

"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is only a small step up from PG-rated movies of the mid-80's, and family-friendly compared to other early PG-13 movies such as "Red Dawn" (1984) or "Licence to Kill" (1989). Other than a cartoonish nude drawing on Microsoft Paint, the sexual content is entirely subtle. There isn't much about this movie I can say that hasn't already been said, but check out this classic comedy.

I watched This when I was A kid With My mom, And its was a lot to take in but As I got older it wasn't as much as I thought,I watched This with My 12 year old and 13 year old and they loved it.

Great fun with some cursing

This film is just fun and should be fine 8 and up since the worst thing about is the helps of time they say sh*t and ass

Fun and quirky

Great movie for teens lots of fun and comedarie!